RECRUITING: Iowa State hosting Jalen Suggs on unofficial visit next month

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
He now has a basketball and football offer from us.

Can someone take two official visits if offered in two different sports? I would think they could, but I've honestly never paid attention.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Since he also has a football offer I'll just assume he will become Iowa State's Charlie Ward and win the Heisman and play in the NBA.
I seirously think Campbell and Co. did that to help out the basketball side of recruiting. Throw out a football offer to a school who really wants you in basketball, knowing well that you are a top 10 bball recruit and will go that route. It looks better if the entire school wants him just as much as the basketball team does.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Is it practical and possible at the college level in 2017 for a guy to play basketball and football like that? Obviously, I want him as a PG first, but if he wants to be a DB or WR on the gridiron, he is big and fast enough to at least take a shot at it.

Nice of Campbell to help Prohm like that, if that is the case.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Is it practical and possible at the college level in 2017 for a guy to play basketball and football like that? Obviously, I want him as a PG first, but if he wants to be a DB or WR on the gridiron, he is big and fast enough to at least take a shot at it.

Nice of Campbell to help Prohm like that, if that is the case.

I listened to an interview with Jalen within the last month after playing for team USA team. He is already considering just cutting Football and just focusing on Basketball. His Dad and him are thinking long term and know his highest potential is basketball. Especially considering the injury concerns on the grid iron. In any case he'll be playing PG in the next level.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I listened to an interview with Jalen within the last month after playing for team USA team. He is already considering just cutting Football and just focusing on Basketball. His Dad and him are thinking long term and know his highest potential is basketball. Especially considering the injury concerns on the grid iron. In any case he'll be playing PG in the next level.

Thank you for the information.

Here's rooting for our PG-whisperer coach.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

I can't for the life of me figure out why a kid with a chance to get a full-ride scholarship playing high level basketball, let alone an almost guarantee at playing pro basketball, would risk that by messing around with football.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I can't for the life of me figure out why a kid with a chance to get a full-ride scholarship playing high level basketball, let alone an almost guarantee at playing pro basketball, would risk that by messing around with football.
I know a kid who was going to be a high Major League draft pick who broke his leg in a HS football game. Probably still going to work out for him (he's a junior) but he wanted to play a game he's played his whole life with guys he's played with forever.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

Keep in mind he is 15. Quite frankly he probably enjoys playing football with his teammates.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Lebron James played football all 4 years of high school. If you're an athlete, you're an athlete. But who knows, maybe he drops football going into his senior year or something

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I ran track with a guy in high school who eventually had a full-ride to a Big 12 school (not Iowa State, unfortunately) and was an alternate for the Olympic team.

He could crush most seniors as a middle-schooler. Won state in a few events as a freshman.

He played football through his junior year of high school because, (1.) he liked the game more than just running, (2.) liked playing with his friends, even if they ran track with him in the spring too, and (3.) thought there was more money in football than track, even if he was not even on the radar of recruiting services for football but was getting letters from every marquis cross country and track program in the country... from Oregon on down.

Then he broke his ankle at football practice. Never went on the gridiron again.

Worked out fine for him, but he had his reasons. Professional football players have a lot more money and fame than do professional runners, and even college football players are way more the "big men on campus" than the track team, even if, in theory, the compensation package of the full-ride to the same school is the same between the two teams in $$$ terms.

Help Support Us

Become a patron