Lanning practicing with LB's

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Im guessing that they aren't forcing him to play LB and kind of gave him the choice to give it a shot (I mean, the guy is/was a team captain).

I love that they're giving it a shot.

Side note, just saw that Brian Mills decided to graduate and end his football career. That's a bummer. I thought came along well throughout last season.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I love this move no matter what it is (permanent or just situational). It's going to benefit everyone and JL can have a lot of fun playing all over the field.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
This is a bit of a headscratcher to me, but his wrestling background should help him adapt quicker than usual. That said, I think this says more about our linebacker situation than anything.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: Doc and isu2014

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
LB is our biggest team need IMO so if Joel wants to play there, I'm all for it. He has the size and speed, and I trust the coaching staff to put him in the right positions.
Props to Joel in thinking-- 'I'll play whatever position gives us the best chance to win.'
Agree that the move is a big surprise, however.

Aug 26, 2014
LB is our biggest team need IMO so if Joel wants to play there, I'm all for it. He has the size and speed, and I trust the coaching staff to put him in the right positions.
Props to Joel in thinking-- 'I'll play whatever position gives us the best chance to win.'
Agree that the move is a big surprise, however.
Agree. He is an incredible athlete and will be a beast at linebacker. I hope we find a way to occasionally get him on the field on offense too. He's can be a huge difference maker on both sides of the ball.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Correct. He wanted to play QB, which is a big part of him coming here.

Yep and he got his shot too. He wasnt terrible or anything its just that we have 2 other Qb's who are better passing QB's now. Look at What's his name at Ohio st..guy was stud QB then was moved to WR his SR year.

I commend JL for stepping up and doing what he can to get on the field and help the team.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Im guessing that they aren't forcing him to play LB and kind of gave him the choice to give it a shot (I mean, the guy is/was a team captain).

I love that they're giving it a shot.

Side note, just saw that Brian Mills decided to graduate and end his football career. That's a bummer. I thought came along well throughout last season.
Withe mills leaving the program he might be needed. They might as well give It a try since they could be even more thin there with mills leaving

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
Withe mills leaving the program he might be needed. They might as well give It a try since they could be even more thin there with mills leaving
I think that could open an opening for a grad transfer

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Saw a quote where Coach Campbell asked Lanning in December if he would be interested in playing defense and Lanning responded "absolutely."

Figured that was the case.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
This seems like a weird move unless it is just to see how he does. You can't just step in and be a good linebacker at the college level when you have played QB the last 4.

Basketball player Stevie Johnson would disagree.

Hadn't played football since his sophomore year in HS. Played as a LB on the 9 win team of 2000. Made 17 tackles in 10 games that season in a reserve role. He made a major contribution.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If he is only concerned with finding a way to play and contribute, then good for him. He's certainly physical enough. How fun would it be to see him blow up a ball carrier on one series and then turn around and truck some poor defensive back on the next series? Go get 'em Joel.

I'm a bit nervous about Noland becoming the de facto QB2 considering he's coming off a serious injury and he hasn't played a snap of college football, but if the coaches trust him then I trust him.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron