Lanning practicing with LB's

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
I'm intrigued but also surprised they would do this when he's got 1 year left.

Who knows, it might not stick, but if it does, it tells me 2 things:

1. They feel very comfortable with Zeb as Parks backup
2. The Roads staff probably messed up by not putting him at LB earlier in his career. Of course they recruited the QB position soooo poorly that they really didn't have an option to move him.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop

2. The Roads staff probably messed up by not putting him at LB earlier in his career. Of course they recruited the QB position soooo poorly that they really didn't have an option to move him.

I would think he has more value being kept at the QB position than as a backup LB. When is the last time he played LB...high school?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I would think he has more value being kept at the QB position than as a backup LB. When is the last time he played LB...high school?

I think they will still use him in certain offensive packages though. My opinion is that this staff thinks that he should have been playing LB all along. Weren't we the only D1 school recruiting him as a QB? That right there tells me a lot.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

That's what I actually want to hear more about -- Zeb's progression. I've been curious about his injury since it happened, wondering how it would affect his development and play ability happening so early in his career. If he is getting along fine and back where he left off, that's great news.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
This seems like a weird move unless it is just to see how he does. You can't just step in and be a good linebacker at the college level when you have played QB the last 4.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

He can probably still be the backup QB and put in for short yardage situations.

They guy has power. If he has some natural LB skill, it could be a route for him to make it to the NFL.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
He may get more play time at LB than QB.

Also maybe he thinks LB position is his best shot at a pro career, even if that chance is very small.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
This seems like a weird move unless it is just to see how he does. You can't just step in and be a good linebacker at the college level when you have played QB the last 4.

Well, I wouldn't say you can't. Its unusual and hard, but if Stevie Johnson can step in and be a good linebacker at the college level after playing PF the previous 4 years, then anything is possible.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
I remember when we recruited him out of highschool and the rumor was we wanted him as linebacker

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Well, I wouldn't say you can't. Its unusual and hard, but if Stevie Johnson can step in and be a good linebacker at the college level after playing PF the previous 4 years, then anything is possible.

Was he a good linebacker. Seriously can't remember.

Could also mean they aren't happy with the linebackers and are trying to improve that position any way possible.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
My guess is Lanning is just a baller and wants to play. He's a stud athlete, could have played baseball or wrestling or football in college, and smart enough to know that football won't last forever (esp at QB, this is the end of the road for that) - so why not be a "swiss army knife" his final year and be a short yardage/decoy/occasional flea flicker on offense, and get chances to go get some hits on defense before hanging up the cleats or trying to get picked up as a "project" LB (like Scott Frost from NU) in the pros.

upload_2017-2-28_9-40-45.png

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

Johnson had 17 tackles in 10 games. I wouldn't exactly call that a good Big 12 linebacker. Decent backup maybe.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I think he should switch positions. Whether it be LB or TE, HB.

Here's the thing, let's say he stays at QB. He will come in for a 3rd and 5 against UNI and run for a TD. Now you have a full blown QB controversy. The minute park struggles you will see the fans and more importantly the team divided. If you think that stuff doesn't happen in a locker room or on a sideline, you're wrong.

Let's roll with Park, who is clearly the better QB and if we want to run the ball, hand it to our 2 extremely talented backs.

Campbell is making the right choice here.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
My guess is Lanning is just a baller and wants to play. He's a stud athlete, could have played baseball or wrestling or football in college, and smart enough to know that football won't last forever (esp at QB, this is the end of the road for that) - so why not be a "swiss army knife" his final year and be a short yardage/decoy/occasional flea flicker on offense, and get chances to go get some hits on defense before hanging up the cleats or trying to get picked up as a "project" LB (like Scott Frost from NU) in the pros.

View attachment 46738

Exactly. And this move may have been prompted by Lanning. He probably just hates being on the sideline.

That being said, don't be shocked if he plays a defensive series then turns right around to quarterback some ground & pound. Teams will also be looking for him to run so the play action is already there. He still has a cannon. Let him go deep to see if we can catch some secondaries off guard.

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016

Is there anything else interesting going on?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron