Softball Coach - Gemeinhardt-Cesler

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
She beat Iowa, helping to retain the CyHawk trophy, and has a decent non-con record, but we're not at all competitive in the conference. One of Pollard's stated goals was to be in the top half of the conference in each sport. Is this a move in that direction or is there something else involved?

http://cyclonefanatic.com/olympic-sports/news/iowa-state-doesn-t-renew-contract-of-softball-coach/

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Maybe just that the softball program is awful. This could be awkward, since she is married to Jeff Cesler of academic services. Maybe promote asst. Lindsey Ubrun?
Now hope that our soccer coach is evaluated in the same way...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
She's been on the hot seat for awhile. Kinda like CPR, made some changes I believe and they didn't pan out. We have been in the cellar for awhile. Get to that 6-7 area and the pressure would relieve some.

We we also dumped money into facilities so that amped it up.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
She beat Iowa, helping to retain the CyHawk trophy, and has a decent non-con record, but we're not at all competitive in the conference. One of Pollard's stated goals was to be in the top half of the conference in each sport. Is this a move in that direction or is there something else involved?

http://cyclonefanatic.com/olympic-sports/news/iowa-state-doesn-t-renew-contract-of-softball-coach/

Her contract was up this year and they've won 1 conference game this season. Beating Iowa the past couple of years really didn't prove anything since Iowa is as bad or worse than us. We consistently fail to recruit top Iowa kids who go out of state so why keep her? The money was spent to build her a quality facility and she couldn't win. The B12 is a decent softball conference and we should at least be able to compete.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
There are a ton of Big Time softball players in the state of IA. Neither Iowa State or Iowa are recruiting the state like they should. The infatuation with California and Arizona kids are overrated. Northern states will get the scraps from the south and west kids. Minnesota and Missouri are living off our talent.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
There are a ton of Big Time softball players in the state of IA. Neither Iowa State or Iowa are recruiting the state like they should. The infatuation with California and Arizona kids are overrated. Northern states will get the scraps from the south and west kids. Minnesota and Missouri are living off our talent.

To be fair playing at ISU isn't easy. Trough climate and they travel commercial, so they spend a lot of time in airports. A few years ago we were on the same plane as the softball team, well half of it anyway, since they had to take separate flights, to get back to Ames.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
To be fair playing at ISU isn't easy. Trough climate and they travel commercial, so they spend a lot of time in airports. A few years ago we were on the same plane as the softball team, well half of it anyway, since they had to take separate flights, to get back to Ames.

How many softball teams fly chartered planes? I am just curious who pours that much money into a black hole? No matter how good you are I don't think any teams in the NCAA are profitable is softball.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
How many softball teams fly chartered planes? I am just curious who pours that much money into a black hole? No matter how good you are I don't think any teams in the NCAA are profitable is softball.

I don't know about profitable, but the blue bloods of softball draw crowds upwards of 3000 fans a game.

The world series also draws pretty good ratings for espn.

Again, hate to harp on this, but what cripples our recruiting in women's sports is no Big12 sports network like the BTN or SEC network where the Olympic sports are aired.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Her contract was up this year and they've won 1 conference game this season. Beating Iowa the past couple of years really didn't prove anything since Iowa is as bad or worse than us. We consistently fail to recruit top Iowa kids who go out of state so why keep her? The money was spent to build her a quality facility and she couldn't win. The B12 is a decent softball conference and we should at least be able to compete.

Compete for what? 8th? Because that is probably our ceiling.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I don't know about profitable, but the blue bloods of softball draw crowds upwards of 3000 fans a game.

No team in Division I averaged 3,000 per game last season. Only 2 topped 2,000/game (Alabama and Arizona). 13 others cracked 1,000/game (6 SEC, 2 Big 12, 2 Pac-12, 1 B1G, UL-Lafayette, and Fresno State).

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

I don't know. The problem is it is hard to get out of DSM/Ames to anywhere in one flight. Being in the Big 12 makes it worse.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
This is the last year of his contract and I would say if this year is like last year he will be looking for other employment.

Dillinger got 6 years, and you think Minatta should be canned after 3?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
No team in Division I averaged 3,000 per game last season. Only 2 topped 2,000/game (Alabama and Arizona). 13 others cracked 1,000/game (6 SEC, 2 Big 12, 2 Pac-12, 1 B1G, UL-Lafayette, and Fresno State).

What were our official attendance numbers? And how many actually attended? Two different questions.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
The new coach won't be an in-office hire.

Would help recruiting if we could play under the lights at home. Unfortuantely, doesn't look like that will ever be possible.