Two missing ingredients on this team right now.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
I'm not sure if this has been hit on or not. I spared myself the agony of reliving the loss by reading all the posts about it. ISU is obviously a very good/great team. But I think there are two very glaring issues with this team.

1. No spark plug. We don't have that guy that can come off the bench at around the 15 or 10 minute mark and give this team a recharge. It was kind of Thomas and now he is forced into the starting role. This team needs someone to give it a kick in the pants so it doesn't get down early. Maybe Burton or Cooke can become that player but right now it isn't there. Someone used the word "cavalier" to describe this team's attitude. And it does seem to be a team that needs a big name on the opponents' jersey to get their A-game going. Think about most of last year's losses. They were mostly decent, not great teams, that ISU simply let outplay them. A spark plug guy could keep this team from falling into these crater-sized deficits in the first half.

2. No lock down defender. We can't Babb anyone. Even with a Babb on the bench. In the case of both Iowa and UNI there was no one that could shut down the hot hand. We know this team is never going to give a Floyd-like defensive effort but having one guy on the team that can shut down a shooter would do wonders.

The good news is that this could change but it is going to take someone outside of the top four guys on the team to do it.

Keep calm and Cyclone on my friends.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
Agree 100%. No Lock down defenders, and really no defenders at all. College players are typically going to make most of their wide open threes. It isn't lucky that they all shoot good against us. It is because they are wide open. Then they get confident and can also hit ones that we actually close out on. Buddy H. is going to score 50 on us if this keeps up.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I also think there is a leadership void. Or maybe the better word is toughness. They have seemed to lack it since both Ejim and Kane left.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
Matt shut down Uthoff in the second half, and Nader did better on Washpun. I think Matt also did well on Bohannon against UNI. I think the key is to get the match ups right out of the box.

Matt started shutting down Uthoff, but wasn't it Niang that had him most of the 2nd half?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I thought Niang and Nader had him in the first, and Matt had him throughout the second (with help of course).

Georges had him more in the second half than some claim. But both did sell against him.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
When players are hitting everything they throw up including 25 foot contested shots........it tends to make any defense look bad. As for the "spark plug".......he is now trying to get a medical redshirt for next year. Going to have to be someone else in that role. Could be Thomas. He did it against Iowa.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I also think there is a leadership void. Or maybe the better word is toughness. They have seemed to lack it since both Ejim and Kane left.
We are stupid talented. But the grit that Ejim and Kane had is something I would love to have. We'll be fine. Just have to find a rhythm by March.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
I really like the look of Cooke. He seems to enjoy play face-up D, and can also play the spark plug role if given a bit of a leash. It seems like he's lacking confidence to shoot right now.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Hope Nader does better getting closer to the three point shooters. He plays back too far and thinks he can get them. Not. He is quick enough to chase them, so why does he not play closer to the shooters. In the open perimeter he plays too far off the players.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
UNI thoughts
Matt and Hallice did not make much of an impact. Surprised.
Monte was timid since he was probably at 90 per cent if that. When he is down, the whole team suffers.
Jameel roams so much that he is not near rebounds at times. He needs to focus ahead of where the ball is going. Georges appears to be our most consistent shooter from three, free throws, inside. He needs to shoot a ton.
Still surprised how little the small bench played this non conf. Not a good sign.
Waiting for clearout for Deonte.
Steve needs to go find another big guy for next year.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
Its early and he's still coming off the hip surgery. Maybe Cooke can be that spark, but he seems to get down on himself too easily. Just some observations in different games. Was told when he first came by someone close to the program that Hallice (while stats seemed good at OSU) was 'decent' at a lot of skills, but wouldn't be outstanding at any one thing. I think that's fair as to what we've seen so far. Hopefully more court time and game experiences will boost his confidence and his contributions down the road.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
We should be running all shooters off the 3-point line. And when we do run shooters off the line, McKay has to be waiting in the paint. That means a step in front of the rim, not attached to his guy on the opposite block. Discouraging a drive is better than trying to swat it at the last second. He has been too late and guards have been able to finish over him. I think Burton is going to give us a defensive boost in the lane. I'd love to see him get more minutes tomorrow.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We should be running all shooters off the 3-point line. And when we do run shooters off the line, McKay has to be waiting in the paint. That means a step in front of the rim, not attached to his guy on the opposite block. Discouraging a drive is better than trying to swat it at the last second. He has been too late and guards have been able to finish over him. I think Burton is going to give us a defensive boost in the lane. I'd love to see him get more minutes tomorrow.
Yep. McKay needs to position like Georges does in the lane. He needs Kane focus.