Bicyclists fined $195 for stop sign violations

bufante

Nov 27, 2006
DMI
I'm going to guess this is the area in question also:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/G...87d4a5a73f:0xc3a4986d59fe1ec0!5m1!1e3!6m1!1e1

As you can see, we are not talking about the intersection of Lincoln Way and Duff here.

There is another double-crossing nearer to Adel:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/G...87d4a5a73f:0xc3a4986d59fe1ec0!5m1!1e3!6m1!1e1

In this case, the NE crossing is paved and does have some auto traffic. However, you can see any potential traffic a long ways off. The second SW crossing is a very tricky loose gravel crossing.

Just wanted to note that a few years ago a biker died at the intersection outside of Adel that you posted...He didn't stop. He was heading west on the trail and ran into a vehicle traveling north on the paved road.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
I never seem to have problems with motorcyclists, walkers, runners, etc. but a month doesn't go by that a bicyclist doesn't so something stupid in front of me.

I won't even go into my annoyances with bikers visiting breweries.

because it is safer for someone to get into a car after visiting breweries??

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
If those dang bike riders can't follow traffic signs/signals then they don't deserve their drivers license!

* shakes fist into air *
** passes gas **
*** realizes far too old and too grumpy ***

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That's a $*** argument. There are bicyclists that haven't stopped at a stop sign in YEARS, yet they've never gotten a ticket.

And it is being whiny if you actually think that police never sit for hours and watch traffic for drunk drivers, or DNR officers don't sit for hours and look for poachers. Again...orders of magnitude more time than spent on bikers. It really is that attitude why people hate bicyclists. 11 people in the state of Iowa (OK, maybe 20, there might have been 9 more across the state) got a ticket while bicycling, and you're all whining about it.

How am I whining about it when this was my response:

As a biker, it sounds like the tickets are warranted with going thru multiple stop signs in a row.

You cranky today or something?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
This is interesting... http://www.bikeiowa.com/News/6806/m...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Not taking the drivers side, but I'm not sure what he exactly did wrong there to receive a fine. He moves over for the biker (obviously he could of gotten over further, but is that a law?). The question is how fast was he going? DId he slow down a little bit while passing the biker, and speed up once he got around creating the smoke plume, or did he step on it to be an ******* and create the smoke plume?

Last edited:

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I dont think enough people are reading the article. Of course a biker should get a ticket if they ride through a stop sign/signal on a street. The 'stop' signs referred to in this article are rural crossings on the Raccoon River Valley Trail.

Secondly, a vast majority of these crossings are in areas where you could see on-coming traffic literally a mile away. I'm not stopping if I can clearly see in both directions and nothing is there. Most of these crossings are still loose gravel as well which, on a road bike with 23mm tires, are no joke when traversing slowly.

This guy is a jerk. For all intents and purposes, cyclists treat THESE stop signs for what they really are, yield signs.

No, they're stop signs. I'm surprised you can't tell the difference because one is a big red octagonal shape that reads "STOP" and the other is a smaller triangle shaped sign that reads "YIELD".

All you're doing is coming up with justifications for breaking the law. Most of us on here have sped or rolled through a stop sign in our lives. Most of us realize while doing so that if we happen to get caught we're probably going to get a ticket.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You are a bicyclist.. You are evil!! No automobile drivers ever break the law.

I'm a bicyclist and a commuter who travels a ton for work. There are irresponsible people on both sides.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
How am I whining about it when this was my response:

You cranky today or something?

You really are bad at logic. I like how you took only the part that suits your argument, and left the rest off. If I said "I like your hair, but I hope you spend some time cleaning up your horrible wardrobe." Would you consider it a compliment? Probably not. Hence, if you say "these bikers should have been ticketed, but I hope they spend some time on drivers and hunters" when there is innumerably more time spent enforcing drivers and hunters....yeah, that sounds whiny.

timhisu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2010
Just wanted to note that a few years ago a biker died at the intersection outside of Adel that you posted...He didn't stop. He was heading west on the trail and ran into a vehicle traveling north on the paved road.

I'm very aware of Kim Clayton. Not here to defend people who don't look before crossing. That's the busiest rural crossing on that segment in my opinion.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
This is interesting... http://www.bikeiowa.com/News/6806/m...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Not taking the drivers side, but I'm not sure what he exactly did wrong there to receive a fine. He moves over for the biker (obviously he could of gotten over further, but is that a law?). The question is how fast was he going? DId he slow down a little bit while passing the biker, and speed up once he got around creating the smoke plume, or did he step on it to be an ******* and create the smoke plume?

yeah, this seems a bit extreme to be going after someone for. The only part of the truck that's in the right lane is his right tires.

If the lane is approximately 12 feet wide and the truck is approximately 8.5 ft wide, lets say he has a third of the truck still in the right lane. That leaves over 9 feet of space for the bike rider.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You really are bad at logic. I like how you took only the part that suits your argument, and left the rest off. If I said "I like your hair, but I hope you spend some time cleaning up your horrible wardrobe." Would you consider it a compliment? Probably not. Hence, if you say "these bikers should have been ticketed, but I hope they spend some time on drivers and hunters" when there is innumerably more time spent enforcing drivers and hunters....yeah, that sounds whiny.

Yeah, you're cranky.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Boy a lot of bike haters on here. First of all, yes I do roll through stop signs on my bike if no one is coming. It is just a lot easier. I always make absolutely sure no one is coming, because if someone hits me, I am pretty sure I will take all the damage. Now, lets flip the coin. I see people in cars roll through the stop sign in front of my house at 10-15 MPH all the time. Isn't that against the law too. Also, when I ride on the road I stay as far to the right as I can, so people can get around me. I would be fully within my rights to ride right down the middle and back up traffic for miles, but I don't because it is stupid and dangerous. I have been knock off the rode by morons trying to squeeze by me and oncoming traffic before, riding down the middle is like inviting someone to run me over.

My point is that cyclist routinely give up most of the road so they are not slowing traffic, but are expected to come to a complete stop at stop signs when no one is approaching , when almost no one in a car does?

timhisu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2010
No, they're stop signs. I'm surprised you can't tell the difference because one is a big red octagonal shape that reads "STOP" and the other is a smaller triangle shaped sign that reads "YIELD".

All you're doing is coming up with justifications for breaking the law. Most of us on here have sped or rolled through a stop sign in our lives. Most of us realize while doing so that if we happen to get caught we're probably going to get a ticket.

I guess you deserve that 56 in a 55 ticket on a rural state highway too then? :spinny:

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I guess you deserve that 56 in a 55 ticket on a rural state highway too then? :spinny:

yeah, I would because I understand that 56>55. I wouldn't be thrilled with it but the law is pretty black and white on this one.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I have no problem with bicyclers rolling through stops. Never been close to hitting one or had a car hit me while riding. What's the big deal? There is a not a wave of law suits when the cyclist is at fault. Sounds more like the non-riders griping as there is a real misdirected antipathy directed at bikers. What is with that? The flip side for me is drivers who fail to signal their turns.

Getting brushed off the road purposely by drivers (many times) or half empty pop containers thrown at me is my beef - I have a way with dealing with these people that comes to, I hope, a lesson to them.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I'm going to guess this is the area in question also:

As you can see, we are not talking about the intersection of Lincoln Way and Duff here.

There is another double-crossing nearer to Adel:

In this case, the NE crossing is paved and does have some auto traffic. However, you can see any potential traffic a long ways off. The second SW crossing is a very tricky loose gravel crossing.

I knew as soon as I saw the thread title that this would turn into a multi page discussion so guess I'll keep it going. If you zoom in on your first link, you will see that almost the entire trail through Guthrie County is lined with trees and brush. In some cases you can see the road as you approach from a long way down the path. In others you really have no idea what is coming until you are right on top of the road.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Boy a lot of bike haters on here. First of all, yes I do roll through stop signs on my bike if no one is coming. It is just a lot easier. I always make absolutely sure no one is coming, because if someone hits me, I am pretty sure I will take all the damage. Now, lets flip the coin. I see people in cars roll through the stop sign in front of my house at 10-15 MPH all the time. Isn't that against the law too. Also, when I ride on the road I stay as far to the right as I can, so people can get around me. I would be fully within my rights to ride right down the middle and back up traffic for miles, but I don't because it is stupid and dangerous. I have been knock off the rode by morons trying to squeeze by me and oncoming traffic before, riding down the middle is like inviting someone to run me over.

My point is that cyclist routinely give up most of the road so they are not slowing traffic, but are expected to come to a complete stop at stop signs when no one is approaching , when almost no one in a car does?

You ask if a car running through a stop sign is against the law too...are you serious? You think people don't get tickets for that if they're in cars, that this is some anti-biker conspiracy where cars can run through stop signs all they want but "the man" is coming after you bike riders for running stop signs?

Would you care to guess on the ratio of car vs bike stop sign tickets?

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
I was there that day when it happened. I spoke with multiple people who were fined, including the board member.

The fact is there are stop signs. People didn't/don't always stop...me included. They slow in varying degrees. Is that right, no. Is it dangerous...I think it's subjective based on the situation.

That being said, the board member probably caused some of his situation. What I saw/heard was a vocally vulgar group of cyclists who ****** off a DNR officer. You don't want a ticket, shut your mouth, admit you were wrong and move along. Accept the consequences. But calling him a ******* ******* doesn't get you or the rest of us anywhere.

Additionally, most cyclists are good people who obey the laws, are respectful of motorists and understand that car + bicycle = death. Being on a bike trail and having a stop sign is a lot like being on a gravel road and having a stop sign...very few people, if given adequate visual clearance, stop all the way. It's what people do.

Finally, these tickets will most likely be thrown out and here's why...there is no code supporting these particular stop signs. I think the DNR will lose on all counts. BUT, cyclists need to obey the signs OR suffer the consequences, some of which can be dire.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

I don't think it's worthy of a ticket. The rider had plenty of room, and while entitled to the lane, that truck was giving him at least half of the lane. I would take that more often than not. The plume of smoke might be because of several reasons and one being slowing down for the biker. If it happened when he's parallel with the biker, then I could see more of a reason.