Done with Wally

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
90% of the staff is new this year, how many time do we turn over the staff before its time for the head man to go?

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
It's not just that we're lacking talent. What little talent we do have is so woefully unprepared, plays so uninspired and downright fundamentally poor and dumb. We're terrible AND then also mailed it in. Atrocious.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
Wally Burnham is a great coach. His resume for the past 40 years speaks for itself.

With that said, it might be time for him to retire. A new staff has provided a little spark in the offense, maybe it will for the defense. Still, we need better players on defense. We don't have Big 12 quality DL or LB's.
Maybe the HC is the root of the problems

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
I don't think anyone said you said he was blameless.

"The defense sucks and that's wally's fault but our players suck" well the players sucking is his fault as well.

I don't think Wally is at Iowa State to recruit. He is here to coach. I will agree that the coaching of this defense the last couple weeks is bad.

The recruiting of LB's at ISU needs to get much better. I think we have recruited ok at DL, problem is we haven't kept them. Pompey, Bevins, Coe, Irving. That's killer.

Cytation

Apr 13, 2010
Lafayette, LA
All about the players. We have very few players on defense that would play anywhere else. Our linebackers especially. #3 wouldn't play on a high school team.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I don't think Wally is at Iowa State to recruit. He is here to coach. I will agree that the coaching of this defense the last couple weeks is bad.

The recruiting of LB's at ISU needs to get much better. I think we have recruited ok at DL, problem is we haven't kept them. Pompey, Bevins, Coe, Irving. That's killer.

Part of coaching at the collegiate level is recruiting. In other words, if he's here to coach, he's also here to recruit.

I am not arguing Wally has had a very good coaching career, because he had, and he had a good first few years at ISU. But ever since Knott and Klein went bye bye, so has the defense.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

How has his coaching really been here? If he hasn't had Knott/klein would it even be a question whether he should be done here?

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Just some thoughts:

Wally's LB position group has produced far more All-Big 12 performers than any other group and it's not even close: Jesse Smith, AJ Klein, Jake Knott, and Jeremiah George. He consistently gets more out of less than any other coach.

Recruiting suffered big time a few years ago with the realignment talk and coaches that are no longer at ISU. Results are evident this year and last.

Oklahoma has only lost two games by a combined 5 points to #7 TCU and #9 KSU.

Defense never really had a chance today, missing two starting DTs, and our best LB and best CB.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

Regardless of what he is expected to do, he can't recruit at the Big 12 level. His lack of recruiting skill is hurting the team just as much as anything else.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS

No doubt. We have mid to low MAC level talent on defense. They play awful fundamentally, uninspired and fold up like a cheap tent as well. We're back to being a total laughingstock.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I blame our ineptness at linebacker 100% on Wally and Rhoads. They honestly could not recruit any better than what we've seen? These guys don't have the physical ability to compete with the top of the conference.

There is no excuse for this group this season. They've been here 6 years. Sad part is, I don't think the LB's are going to be any better any season soon.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield

This is totally right. Wally is not at ISU to recruit and it's not really his job to keep a hold of players. He's an X's and O's guy. There just isn't any experienced talent anywhere on the defense. OU's line was just embarrassingly over matching to ISU's dline. Every body says Knott, AJ...Knott, AJ....I hate to break it but those defenses were not overly talented either and Wally's defenses were good. To say Wally can't coach is a joke.

I think the actual talent on D is pretty good in the fresh/soph classes. I expect this defense to be a good deal better next year.

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
Really? Before today you and many others thought this defense was respectable. This 1 game finally changed it?

This defense has been horrid the last year and this year. I am tired of hearing about being young and inexperienced. That has been the excuse the last two years. **** isn't changing.