What did you do with your first paycheck?

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I received my first paycheck from my first "big kid" job out of grad school last week, and I'm looking forward to spending a small chunk of it on something I want, just because I can before I start saving up. Haven't figured out what that will be yet, but it made me wonder if others have done the same.

So, what did you do with your first paycheck from your first "real job?"

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I'm not sure if it was from my first paycheck, but my first big purchase after starting my "real job" was a 50" plasma tv.

Gtown25

Oct 12, 2011
Grinnell, IA
My first pay check from my first "real job" was rcvd just before Iowa State men's bball season tickets went on sale. Soooo, that's what my check went towards :)

Last edited:

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I'm not sure if it was from my first paycheck, but my first big purchase after starting my "real job" was a 50" plasma tv.

I'm similar. It wasn't my first paycheck, but some of that money was saved back and went towards buying my PS4.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Take a shot trip to do something cool with friends. NFL tix or something like that.

I was getting married right around the first check for me so mine was probably spent on something for the wedding. Boring.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Take a shot trip to do something cool with friends. NFL tix or something like that.

I was getting married right around the first check for me so mine was probably spent on something for the wedding. Boring.

That's a really good point. If you're still single, now's the time to do the weekend trip to Vegas or road trip to Lambeau or whatever. Check some items off the bucket list right now, because you're only going to get busier.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
That's a really good point. If you're still single, now's the time to do the weekend trip to Vegas or road trip to Lambeau or whatever. Check some items off the bucket list right now, because you're only going to get busier.

Exactly. You can always buy material possessions but it will only get harder and harder to make memories with your college buddies.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
First check I paid off my U bill, second check I bought a set of Taylor Made irons

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I received my first paycheck from my first "big kid" job out of grad school last week,"

Congrats on your new career; I remember my first paycheck very well. I would strongly encourage you to start funding your retirement - yes, from the first paycheck. The compounding growth you get from the first few years is substantial vs delaying till later ..........Also, I always give a portion to God, from whom all blessings come.

Reactions: Tony

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

I was thinking mine probably went for the photographer's deposit since I booked them right around that time.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I'm amazed at how many people remember what they did with theirs. My guess is I probably bought groceries or paid rent? Something to do with helping me survive life?

And not to be that old fart guy, but I do second the retirement thing. As soon as you're eligible for a 401k plan, do it, and put at least your max amount in that your company will match. You'll be amazed by how much you'll make and save, all for maybe 30 bucks a paycheck that you won't even realize you're missing.