Column: Don't sleep on Sam

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Agree that Sam is a possibility to start at QB. I am thinking a tie will go to Rohach being the starter though.

IMO, the competition and uncertainty has to do with both QB's having decent fall camp's but not exceptional ones. A person can look at this as a glass half full or a glass half empty. Both QB's are better than last year. But there is not a lot of difference between the two. We are actually fortunate to have 2 viable options. 2 QB's that have started games and actually have won.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
A healthy SR was always the guy imo. With a better OC behind him and OLine in front of him SR gives us the best chance to win imo.

Last edited:

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
Last year's Texas game made me a "Sam fan". You could see that he was hurting; but, he was going all out, battling for a Cyclone win, clear till the end of the game.

DMCYFAN

Nov 27, 2006
I might be in the minority here but I thought Richardson was quite a bit better than Rohach last year. With our pass protection it was hard for anyone to be successful but it seemed like Sam was able to get more from what was there to me. Playing hurt and knowing he had 2 seconds to get a pass off clearly hurt his confidence but I hope Mangino is able to re-harness some of his production from the end of 2012.

Whoever the guy is, we need them to be more productive. Has just as much to do with the WR and especially O-line play as it does improving our Grant or Sam.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
A healthy SR was always the guy imo. With a better OC behind him and OLine in front of him SR gives us the best chance to win imo.

I fully agree with this except for one caveet. Our OC and line was so bad that I think Sam really got hesitant and gun shy. With his new size if he can regain confidence in his reads and receivers he is the guy IMO. That is a big if though, I would get him to sit down and watch that first game against KU several times.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Sam put up over 50 points against a salty D in his first start. I'll be happy with any of the three playing QB. A great signal caller, great hands to the outside, a solid RB, and an experienced OL, we have to be better offensively right? I was thinking about Lakes' comment about their new QB being bigger, stronger, and faster than their QB from last year. We also have that, but in the same guys that have won Big XII games.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Plain and simple ..... Mess made Sam carry the ball to much last year. There was no way with that play calling system any QB could have flourished without being like Eric Crouch or something.

Grant has the momentum but Sam had the job last year and in my opinion took one for the team early on.

It is a fair fight but to compare the two seasons last year is invalid.

This is a glass half full year at QB. Both are better than Barnette and Jantz.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
If it is a coin flip I go with Sam. That mullet and stache on Rohach makes me queezy.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
I might be in the minority here but I thought Richardson was quite a bit better than Rohach last year. With our pass protection it was hard for anyone to be successful but it seemed like Sam was able to get more from what was there to me. Playing hurt and knowing he had 2 seconds to get a pass off clearly hurt his confidence but I hope Mangino is able to re-harness some of his production from the end of 2012.

Whoever the guy is, we need them to be more productive. Has just as much to do with the WR and especially O-line play as it does improving our Grant or Sam.

I don't think you're in the minority; I agree. Sam struggled because of the o-line injuries, his own injuries, and the fact that his position coach and offensive coordinator was not good. He had a tendency to hang on to the ball way too long, but I would blame that more on the offensive coordinator/position coach and the offensive line injuries than on him. I hope with a competent offensive coaching staff and a bolstered offensive line, he'll be much better.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I fully agree with this except for one caveet. Our OC and line was so bad that I think Sam really got hesitant and gun shy. With his new size if he can regain confidence in his reads and receivers he is the guy IMO. That is a big if though, I would get him to sit down and watch that first game against KU several times.

Grant has been described being like a bulldog and has more of the persona typically expected of QBs. Imo that resiliency gave him a big advantage over Sam last year. Between the extra muscle and maturation, plus improvement in OC and line play, imo it will be more even in that regard.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Hoping Sam gets the nod. He deserves a chance to prove himself in games with a solid O-Line

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
I think Sam could be a great quarterback if he has good protection and isn't constantly battling injuries. I thought Sam had much better accuracy but he struggled when he was hurt.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Plain and simple ..... Mess made Sam carry the ball to much last year. There was no way with that play calling system any QB could have flourished without being like Eric Crouch or something.

Grant has the momentum but Sam had the job last year and in my opinion took one for the team early on.

It is a fair fight but to compare the two seasons last year is invalid.

This is a glass half full year at QB. Both are better than Barnette and Jantz.

Due to the offense chosen to run and the continual collapse of the oline, SR was forced to run more times than not. It was started in the UNI game and other opponents copied. Then we went to Grant and protected him as he did not really have a backup. The offense seemed to change from warm weather to cold weather.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
What seals the deal for me is that Sam and D'Vario Montgomery were high school teammates. Sam has already proven to have good chemistry with Bundrage. His familiarity with Montgomery is what puts him ahead of Rohach in my opinion.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I want the most accurate passer. Let the big receivers get to the ball and they will make a play.

One interesting note is the pass progressions are different. Last year, we could see one Mess read and then spend your wheels to make a run as oline crumpled. Maybe Mangino brings a better pass progression read system to us. This makes it easier for both qbs.

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It's interesting that it's been almost two full years since Richardson made his debut against KU and we still don't really know what we have with him at QB. Since then, he's either been injured, sick, and/or handicapped by poor o line play, extreme weather, and lousy play calling. I admired his toughness last year and I hope he gets a fair shake at earning the starting job. But ultimately I just want whoever wins it in the next week or so to play well and keep it. I'm sick to death of the revolving door at QB.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I just want to find a QB and stick with him. Not take him out after his first struggle.

Pretty sure Sam would have kept the job if he hadn't gotten hurt. Grant stepped up and played well making it a tough decision.

I still feel like Sam has more athleticism and I think we need that to be our best.