Pitino to Minnesota....

Spam

May 21, 2008
He's 30. And his dad is famous. He went 11-9 in his only year as a head coach. In the Sun Belt Conference.
Minnesota is doomed.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Saying Minnesota got Pitino (Richard) is like a team saying we won the Final 4 (NIT).

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Yeah...fans reactions will be hilarious on this.
I stopped over to gopherhole and actually most of the fans are pretty excited. 30 year old with some name reconition who was an assistant at Louisville and has a little head coaching experience. It is an obvious huge risk but then again wasn't Fred a big one two 3 years ago? it paid off handsomely. Note: Though most now MN fans believe the Big 3 in Minnesota are leaving.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I stopped over to gopherhole and actually most of the fans are pretty excited. 30 year old with some name reconition who was an assistant at Louisville and has a little head coaching experience. It is an obvious huge risk but then again wasn't Fred a huge one two 3 years ago? Though most now believe the Big 3 in Minnesota are leaving. (good for Cyclone nation)

He only needs to beat Iowa consistently to make it a quality hire in my opinion. But thats only my selfish opinion. =)

Spam

May 21, 2008
I stopped over to gopherhole and actually most of the fans are pretty excited. 30 year old with some name reconition who was an assistant at Louisville and has a little head coaching experience. It is an obvious huge risk but then again wasn't Fred a huge one two 3 years ago? Though most now believe the Big 3 in Minnesota are leaving. (good for Cyclone nation)

If this is a "risky" hire, what, in your opinion constitutes a bad hire?
Risky and bad are two different things.

cyclonefan1983

Feb 12, 2009
Does anyone think that Rick Pitino won't be recruiting in Minnesota now that his boy is the head coach at Minnesota?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
He will certainly have the lightest resume in the Big 10. Minn is really counting on his last name.

There is a good talent base, he is coaching at a high-major school, and being Pitino's son will get him in the living room of recruits, so I doubt he fails miserably. That said, I would be surprised if he has them competing with OSU, IU, Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin, and Maryland.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I think it's a home run hire to get the fan base excited.
Pitino was there one year, led Florida International to their first winning record in I don't know how long..with only a few scholarship players. Plus, he was an assistant to Billy Donovan, just like Shaka Smart was.
I like it.