Pitino to Minnesota....

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
They fired Tubby for this guy?

Jesus ******.

I thought this same thing. I guess I just don't understand how the AD is going to sell this to the fan base. Yes he has learned from the best and did fairly well at FIU, but why you fire a guy that took you to 3 straight tournament bids is beyond me. Maybe it was the second half meltdown that his team had this year. Who knows and even though I am not a Gophers fan, nor will I ever be, I have not agreed with the firing of Tubby at all.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It's a good face saving move for the program after they whiffed on their first four choices. Whether or not he can coach doesn't matter much right now. For the time being they can sell him to the fanbase and recruits as a young up and coming coach with name recognition.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I stopped over to gopherhole and actually most of the fans are pretty excited. 30 year old with some name reconition who was an assistant at Louisville and has a little head coaching experience. It is an obvious huge risk but then again wasn't Fred a big one two 3 years ago? it paid off handsomely. Note: Though most now MN fans believe the Big 3 in Minnesota are leaving.

Really not comparable. There are very few, if any, situations that compare to what we get/got with Fred.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
He will certainly have the lightest resume in the Big 10. Minn is really counting on his last name.

There is a good talent base, he is coaching at a high-major school, and being Pitino's son will get him in the living room of recruits, so I doubt he fails miserably. That said, I would be surprised if he has them competing with OSU, IU, Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin, and Maryland.

I am not sure about recruits want to come play for him just because he is little Pitino. Look how well that worked for Sean Sutton and Pat Knight. Your dad being a great coach does not guarantee you for anything.

Spam

May 21, 2008
It's a good face saving move for the program after they whiffed on their first four choices. Whether or not he can coach doesn't matter much right now. For the time being they can sell him to the fanbase and recruits as a young up and coming coach with name recognition.

Face save is a good way to describe this. They fired Tubby saying they wanted to go after someone with "fresh eyes". They couldn't possibly go after some guy like a 56 year Bruce Weber or 59 year old Tim Floyd.

So they wanted someone young. But the high achieving young guys like Shaka Smart and Fred Hoiberg didn't care for the job.

So then they were down to young guys who have not achieved that much. But hiring a young guy that has not achieved much would be a problem. The fan base would be livid.

So hire a young guy who has not achieved much, but has a brand name.

And thus we have Little Pitino.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
So hire a young guy who has not achieved much, but has a brand name.

And thus we have Little Pitino.

Can't argue that. Those who defend Tubby, however, must not have watched much Gopher basketball this year. They just stood around on offense, didn't seem to have any plan. They should have been much better.
I think Rich Pitino has the energy and relentless recruiting focus that Tubby didn't.
But yes, if his last name wasn't Pitino, he would not have been hired.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I am not sure about recruits want to come play for him just because he is little Pitino. Look how well that worked for Sean Sutton and Pat Knight. Your dad being a great coach does not guarantee you for anything.
Not very comparable. Those were situations of nepotism and taking over for legends that were somewhat dated. Minn can sell this as hiring a young head coach who is bringing the same "exciting" system that has his dad currently in the biggest spotlight.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I am going to bet this ends up very Drew at Baylor like. I bet he can recruit his *** off. He will use his last name and he has a lot of energy and a good style. However, I bet he never gets it really going before another school likes his recruiting and will hire him away.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Is this guy the product of Rick's 15 second trist a while back? Has it been 30 years already?

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
Realistically, after that many rejections, probably the best that they could do.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
LOL. Big time desperation hire.

I figured they were waiting for Gregg Marshall...