Mortgage rates

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
At one point on Wednesday, the 30 yr fixed was down to 5.0%. Today Wells Fargo is reporting 5.75 and yesterday they were 5.625. WTF?! How can rates jump around almost a full point in a couple days?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Wells fargo is always the highest, I am not sure why anyone gets a loan through them. But that should be good news for the housing market, prices are down, and rates are very low again. Good time to buy, of course you cannot sell your current house :)

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Northwest Bank is offering 30 yr. fixed under 5%. A partner here sent out an email about it but I wasn't interested in refinancing so I deleted it.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Northwest Bank is offering 30 yr. fixed under 5%. A partner here sent out an email about it but I wasn't interested in refinancing so I deleted it.

I'd be surprised if that is still the rate. Like I say, the rates have been all over the place.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'd be surprised if that is still the rate. Like I say, the rates have been all over the place.

Found the email, it actually came out on Wednesday. Here is an piece of it. I guess if anyone is interested I can give you the guy's name and number:

The newspaper and media are full of bad financial news which has helped drive down interest rates. If you could benefit from the following mortgage rates by refinancing your first mortgage or combining your home equity loan and first mortgage into a new mortgage please let me know. Rates may not stay this low for very long.

30 year fixed rate under 5%

15 year fixed rate under 4.50%

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I locked into a 7 year ARM back in 2004 at 4.5% so no way I'd refinance that right now. My home equity loan thought is another story, its a floating rate, interest only payment that I really ought to find a place to refinance at a reasonable fixed rate.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I have read in a few places that banks are running short on funds to loan to poeple. This will drive the intrest rates up and force to banks to make smart loans.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Really glad I got locked in at 6.625 in August.

I take it you are kidding. If you have a big mortgage, even though you just did it, it might be worth refinancing. I start at 7.5 went down to 6.0 2 years later and then 4.5 6 months after that. Sure it sucked to pay closing costs, but it was worth it in the long run.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I locked into a 7 year ARM back in 2004 at 4.5% so no way I'd refinance that right now. My home equity loan thought is another story, its a floating rate, interest only payment that I really ought to find a place to refinance at a reasonable fixed rate.

Maybe you should refi them both into a 5% 30 year fixed? Might be worth looking into.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Some banks have burned through most of their capital and therefore don't have the ability to add many new loans, so they may not be offering competitive interest rates

soccercy

Apr 20, 2006
Wells fargo is always the highest, I am not sure why anyone gets a loan through them. But that should be good news for the housing market, prices are down, and rates are very low again. Good time to buy, of course you cannot sell your current house :)
Wells Fargo is conservative and certainly not always the lowest, but not the highest either. I work for WF, although not in first mortgage, and WF is the only AAA rated bank in the country, so there is a premium. Also a reason you see WF not struggling like some other companies right now. Variable rates are still coming down, might not be a good idea to lock in a second until this spring or summer.
30 year rates are based on the bond market, they were down below 5 briefly then shot up within 2 hours, probably more like 5.625% today or so.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I could care less that Wells Fargo is a AAA bank. It means nothing when it comes to me paying my mortgage payment. There is a decent chance that they'll sell your loan to someone else.

I used to work at WF and have nothing against them besides the way they service some of their loans.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Maybe you should refi them both into a 5% 30 year fixed? Might be worth looking into.

Not when I'm getting married in 2009 and will likely move into a bigger house at some point. Loan rate is locked in until 2011 and the goal is to pay down the other loan which is 20% of the price I bought the house at so all I really want is to just get a better rate on the equity loan for now. If that gets paid down plus the principal paid on the main mortgage plus added value to the house we'll hopefully be able to put 20% down on the next house from the equity and just go with one 30 year fixed loan to avoid PMI. That's the only reason I have 2 loans now is to avoid PMI.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I could care less that Wells Fargo is a AAA bank. It means nothing when it comes to me paying my mortgage payment. There is a decent chance that they'll sell your loan to someone else.

I used to work at WF and have nothing against them besides the way they service some of their loans.

That's funny because I know of people that have had the opposite and Wells Fargo bought their loan from someone else. Wells Fargo Home Mortgage at the time I was looking was very competitive in the rates, it's Wells Fargo Bank (same company but different division) that seemed to be on the higher side but they are more into the home equity loans not primary home mortgages.

CycloneSA1911

Apr 11, 2006
Wells Fargo has convienent locations, really nice offices, comfortable furniture and lots of friendly employees working there.
That's why I don't bank there anymore, I'm tired of paying for it all...

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I got a good rate (5.125%) at WF a few years back. I'm not married to them but can't complain either. I would certainly shop around if moving or refinancing.

Since I will be upgrading I may look to move this year. I have basically a starter home so even though I wouldn't get as much as I'd like, a similar markdown on a bigger house (based on %) would make up for it. Plus if the rates are low it may be time to pull the trigger.

Is that sound logic?

I've been hesitant to move because I'm at a good rate already.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Nome is a one bank town; Wells Fargo. It is about 700 miles to another bank.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Just keep in mind that the market stinks so you may find something at a great price, but make get hosed on your house too... Moving up is nice but generally speaking the longer you can stay in one place the better off you are financially.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Wells Fargo has convienent locations, really nice offices, comfortable furniture and lots of friendly employees working there. That's why I don't bank there anymore, I'm tired of paying for it all...

Well you must have found the only friendly employees of the company. I had nothing unpleasant dealings with them.