The Cy-Hawk rivalry was alive and well on Friday night in Hilton Coliseum, as the Iowa State men’s basketball team defeated rival Iowa, 81-71.
Here’s what you need to know from the contest.
– Craig Brackins led the way for Iowa State by scoring 28 points and going 9-of-13 from the field. Brackins was also 4-of-5 from 3-point range on the night. Brackins scored 20 of those points in the first half alone. In the game, Brackins moved past Dedric Willoughby to 20th on Iowa State’s all-time scoring list.
– Marquis Gilstrap chipped in with a double-double for his second game in a row. Gilstrap scored 13 points while grabbing 10 rebounds. That was his fourth double-double so far this season.
– Diante Garrett handed out five assists in the victory. Along with that stat, Garrett scored eight points while going 4-of-5 from the free throw line.
– LaRon Dendy came off of the bench to spark the home crowd with a couple of big dunks in the second half. In 13 minutes of play, Dendy scored eight points and grabbed one rebound.
– Iowa State shot 58.3 percent from the field compared to Iowa’s 46.4 percent. The Cyclones went 6-of-14 from 3-point range. Iowa State hit five of those long balls in the first half alone. Iowa hit 11 3-pointers in the game, shooting 42.3 percent from beyond the arc.
FINAL BOX SCOREUPDATED SEASON STATS
Check out CycloneFanatic.com later on tonight and tomorrow for a complete Q&A with head coach Greg McDermott and thoughts from publisher Chris Williams.