Severe Geomagnetic Storm Watch (and maybe big Northern Lights show)

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Figured didn't really fit in the weather thread...

World told to brace for 'severe geomagnetic storm' today - the first in nearly 20 years - which could bring chaos to mobile phone networks, GPS satellites and power grids.

At least five streams of plasma, known as coronal mass ejections (CMEs), are heading toward Earth, prompting the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to issue a severe geomagnetic storm watch for Friday into the weekend.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I went looking for a little more information. I found this from the National Space Weather Prediction Center (I didn't even know that was a thing)

And this one from CBS shows which areas are most at risk.

Reactions: GotHops32

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
For those that aren't aware of what that means, this is how I just explained it to my wife...

It’s a mass of plasma from the sun that is basically supercharged energy (think of it like a wave of high voltage electricity/radiation). Typically our magnetic field shields us from the daily flares, but every once in a long while there is a mass ejection that can go through our magnetic field. In theory, a big enough wave would be like a huge jolt of electricity that could fry all electronic devices in its path. Same concept of an EMP bomb.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
On the plus side, Northern Lights tonight are supposed to visible in places you won't normally get a look. Might have to stay up and drive outside the city tot he south shore of some lake and look north tonight.

1715351516960.png

Last edited:

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
For those that aren't aware of what that means, this is how I just explained it to my wife...

It’s a mass of plasma from the sun that is basically supercharged energy (think of it like a wave of high voltage electricity/radiation). Typically our magnetic field shields us from the daily flares, but every once in a long while there is a mass ejection that can go through our magnetic field. In theory, a big enough wave would be like a huge jolt of electricity that could fry all electronic devices in its path. Same concept of an EMP bomb.
i just explained it to my wife with the paragraph below but i think you and i are maybe talking about something different

It’s a mass of man chowder from the depths of my manhood that is basically supercharged energy (think of it like a wave of high voltage electricity/radiation). Typically your magnetic woman field shields me from shooting off my daily flares, but every once in a long while there is a mass ejection that can go through your magnetic field. In theory, a big enough wave would be like a huge jolt of electricity that could fry all electronic devices in its path. Same concept of an EMP bomb.

• Haha
Reactions: BACyclone and Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I’ll wait for the geomagnetic storm warning.
Yeah, and to be clear - these warnings are sometimes a little overly dramatic. Not that a severe solar storm couldn't cause mass damage - a truly bad enough one could fry electronics everywhere - but the hyperbole usually gets a bit dramatic.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah, and to be clear - these warnings are sometimes a little overly dramatic. Not that a severe solar storm couldn't cause mass damage - a truly bad enough one could fry electronics everywhere - but the hyperbole usually gets a bit dramatic.
Yes, a lot of hyperbole, but as you said a really big one could be catastrophic as much as we rely on electricity and electronic devices.

This one in 1859 was before our reliance on electronics but was still a mess for telegraph service.

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
Perpetually stuck in the revolving friend zone
I don’t think so. The sun is the Alpha of the solar system. It has 8 planets (sorry Pluto) constantly revolving around its every move, just hoping to get a piece of the action.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Already reports of radio blackouts across Africa, Europe, and Asia.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Someone posted this site a year or two ago, I check it sometimes. I have never seen the view line on Iowa's southern border. Usually people see stuff when it is at the northern border. And never seen so much red. Its insane. Get out tonight somewhere dark and have a look if you can.

1715354017665.png

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Someone posted this site a year or two ago, I check it sometimes. I have never seen the view line on Iowa's southern border. Usually people see stuff when it is at the northern border. And never seen so much red. Its insane. Get out tonight somewhere dark and have a look if you can.

View attachment 128981

What time are these supposed to be visible?

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
What time are these supposed to be visible?
The initial impact is expected to arrive around 4PM central time; however, it could arrive a few hours earlier or later. The storm is expected to last well into Saturday evening, so all night tonight should be great viewing