Ladies win!!

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Creighton is a developing team which may challenge in the Valley by seaon's end and I'm sure we got their best shot. They shot 60% 3's in the first half. Iowa State needed a 23-5 run in the final nine and a half minutes to win. We're #9 in the country in defense averaging 50 pts/game. :yes: But, we are still lacking in the offense department. Our offense at 57 pts isn't near good enough. :no:We need to find another 10pts/gm - should be doable. Ezell got 4 pts - she'll turn that around to averge double digits. We didn't play very deep - played 8 people and Ross and Anderson played 8/10 mins. We have four more games to work this out.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
im not to worried right now... i think things will pick up after a little while.. also take into the fact they didnt have a bball week due to finals...(at least that is my excuse) I think once big12 play starts our team will be ready

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I am getting excited about the women's team. It is especially great when they have a good year when the men struggle. I think it raises support some.

EDIT: Not that I want the men to struggle. Let's get that clear. :)

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Young gun rallies ISU past Creighton

DMR LINK

By DAN JOHNSON • REGISTER STAFF WRITER • December 17, 2007

Iowa State's second-youngest women's basketball player grew up just in time for the Cyclones Sunday.

Freshman Kelsey Bolte scored 12 of her career-high 15 points in the second half as the Cyclones overcame a 10-point deficit to pull out a 60-52 victory against Creighton.

Bolte, last season's Miss Iowa Basketball at Battle Creek-Ida Grove, also grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds.

"College has been a big change from high school," Bolte said. "I know I need to step up and play as hard as I can and help the team as best I can."

At 19, Bolte is a month older than sophomore Genesis Lighbourne, the Cyclones' youngest player.

The 6-foot-1 forward is starting to show why she came to Iowa State as one of its most touted freshmen in recent years.

"The last two games, against Drake and today, Kelsey has definitely stepped up," said sophomore guard Alison Lacey, who also scored 15 points. "She's not coming out like a little freshman, she's helping us out a lot."

The Cyclones were down 47-37 with 9minutes of the first half. It led 19-10 after Nicky Wieben's 3-point play with 7:28 left in the half, then was outscored 18-3 as Creighton (5-4) surged to a 28-22 lead.

Creighton, which had been 4-of-18, closed out the half by making seven of its next nine shots, including four 3-pointers.
adlabel_horz.gif

Iowa State committed 11 turnovers in the first half while playing before a crowd of 7,390 at Hilton Coliseum.

"We were outhustled and outplayed," Lacey said. ". . . We were tired of getting beat. I was tired of them getting offensive rebounds."

Iowa State beat Creighton for the ninth straight time dating from 1994.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I was at the game and the ladies really struggled in 2 departments:

1.) Offense....we run some good set plays, but if the 3's are going down and they pack it in on Wieben then we are in trouble. Really have no person that can break the defense down off the dribble (similar problem for the men). Lacy isn't a point guard yet she was required to handle the duties for this game.

2.) Pressure defense...Creighton pressed the crap out of us knowing we don't have a true PG and it really, REALLY hurt our offense. In most possessions we weren't starting to run our offense until about 15 sec. left on the shot clock. Just not enough time to create an offensive flow and ball movement to find the open shot.

IMO the girls will hover around the .500 mark in conference play. Hopefully they can do slightly better and make another run in the NCAA, but they are bubble right now at best IMO.

bjwitt

Mar 6, 2007
Ames
i am really excitedd for our women this year I think we have enough talent to make a run into late March

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
IMO the girls will hover around the .500 mark in conference play. Hopefully they can do slightly better and make another run in the NCAA, but they are bubble right now at best IMO.

I agree I hope that we can hang in once the Big 12 play starts. The Big 12 is loaded, there are 10 teams right now that you can argue are better or as good as ISU. Our schedule starts out very tough with #9 Okla, one of the two conference favorites, @Colo who beat Vandy on Vandy's home floor, something we could not pull off, @ #23 Texas, and Nebraska a team we always have close games with home and away. We may have to turn it on later in the season to make a run at the NCAA's. One plus we have is the NCAA will be pulling for us because of our attendence and the first round is hosted in the Well's.