Twister Sister Summary - Grit and determination lead to win at #10 Texas!

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The one thing that was obvious in this game is that ISU matches up with Texas in strange ways quite well. The first game early in the conference season could easily have belonged to the Sisters. This one was another example of how tough these ladies are even when not getting the points in the middle.

The game started out sluggish with miss after miss but about 4 minutes in the ladies started to make their move. Once they gained the lead I don’t believe they relinquishd it. Sometimes up by 7 and sometimes as close as 1-2, the ladies kept Texas at bay. Texas missed a dump truck load of shots and the only reason they were in this game was offensive rebounding. Texas averages 20 offensive boards a game and they continued that trend tonight. They dominated the boards from start to finish.

What made this game happen for the Sisters was individual effort. Despite all the second chance points for Texas (it seemed like half of theirs were just that) the effort of Carlton, Seanna, and Jadda. The big three for our team didn’t disappoint. Why do I say individual effort? There were very few assists. It was drives to the lane time and time again (I love seeing this type of effort!). The only bad parts of this game were several suspect officiating calls that allowed Texas to get to the line (and in other cases left us mystified as to why no fouls were called) and some defensive breakdowns by our ladies that gave Texas some easy buckets.

Texas would finally grab the lead part way through the 4th quarter after several misses and turnovers by the sisters. Texas started the 4th on a 6-0 run that gave them a two point lead. So would the ladies fold or would they answer back? The answer would be YES. After falling behind by 2 (60-58) the sisters would go on a run of their own and take a 5 point lead 65-60 behind some key shots and some that barely beat the buzzer to the hoop. Could they close it out? This has been the difference in how they played early in the season and late in the season.

Texas fought back, but the Sisters were just as active. Jadda would uncharacteristically miss free throws as would Seanna with a chance to make this a 3 possession game. With a minute left the sisters were clinging to a four point lead. After a strong rebound Carlton would turn it over giving up a layup and it was a two point game. So it came down to one possession, fouls to give and a two point lead with the shot clock off. Great defense and two missed Texas shots followed by a Carlton rebound and then fouled. This was nerve wracking folks! And what happens? Carlton makes one and makes two. A long Texas miss and the sisters win at #10 Texas. WOW! Final 70-66. Congratulations Sisters!

Observations

What was up with all the threes by Bowe? After making an early one she missed and missed and missed. Fortunately she nailed one in the 4th that gave the lead back to the sisters.

The lack of assists. I liked the individual effort, but one of the traits of the latest winning by ISU was moving the ball and helping each other. I hope we see this re-appear Monday.

Rebounding. What can you say? Texas is big. Texas rebounds like no other team I’ve seen this year. Fortunately the effort was there late to grab some key boards. But can you imagine a team grabbing 19 offensive boards? Can you imagine getting out rebounded by 15 and winning on the road?

Grit. This team never folded. Again. They finished. This team has become a force that has to be reckoned with.

Seanna - she is playing like there is no tomorrow. She only hit for 22 points and grabbed 6 boards.

Jadda and Carlton have become slashers in the lane. Remember when everyone would complain about no attacking on offense. Those days are gone. This team will come at you and come at you. Who guards you? If you don’t have someone that can move you are toast.

The great stat of the game? Four steals by Carlton. Talk about a complete player. AND we get her for two more years!

Bench - We are getting play off the bench. Bowe had 6 points and 2 boards, but more importantly played solid defense. TeeTee had similar line with 6 points and 3 boards. Her layup late put ISU ahead by two possessions.

Free throws - who would think that Jadda would miss three free throws (two late)? Or that one of the top teams in the country would miss 1/3 of them? Fortunately, Carlton iced the game as cooly as can be.

Folks, this team has a chance to make it all the way back to 9-9 if they win Monday. Its time to make Hilton rock. Get your butts out there. Grab your neighbors and take them to the game. Buy tickets for the local elementary school. Just fill those seats, help this team win and see Seanna off in her final game at Hilton.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It showed a lot of guts to get the lead back after Texas finally took the lead towards the end.

They've got a great shot at the NCAA now.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Great win for the ladies. Nice write up as usual Acoustimac.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Awesome win! Espn bottom line has Texas at #6.

They are #6 in the AP poll. The Register uses the USA Today poll (where UT is #10) because the DMR and USAT are under the same organizational umbrella.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
I had a sneaky feeling the girls might could do it. Y'all need to give a little credit to OU & BU for whipping them before you got there. They've been browbeat rather hard after crowing like a Banty rooster that they were the "New Sheriff in Town". Ever since they started that they have folded like a blanket. I couldn't be more proud for the Sisters. I am practically at a loss for words.

WHOOPEE !!!!!!

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Cous - to your question about Bowe - I wonder if that was BF's tried and true strategy, to pull posts out of the lane. Seanna and Heather took 14 of the 20 3 point shots. Mere only played 18 minutes.

Shame this game was relegated to Longhorn network.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Cous - to your question about Bowe - I wonder if that was BF's tried and true strategy, to pull posts out of the lane. Seanna and Heather took 14 of the 20 3 point shots. Mere only played 18 minutes.

I wondered the same. With the Longhorns height it would pull someone out and potentially create a mismatch.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

/\ This. I don't believe Bowe was launching that many on her own initiative. Anyway we won so if so, it worked!

cydney

Mar 14, 2011

Anyone know of any way to get the game replay? The game is listed under WatchESPN, but even if your cable provider gives you access to ESPN networks online, it looks like LHN is separate. Mediacom doesn't provide it.

Anyone know if there's a chance CycloneTV can re-air it?