MLB: ***Official 2016 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Im not expecting great things out of Schwarber being he is still very wet coming back from his injury, but you no qualms about putting him on the roster. If he goes 0-fer tonight and looks bad doing it, wonder if Joe uses him tomorrow?

Meh, even if he's not quite ready, this roster spot (LaStella and Rob Z) has accounted for exactly 1 AB in the entire postseason. If he gives you a 0 for 3 night with a walk, you've probably come out ahead...

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Meh, even if he's not quite ready, this roster spot (LaStella and Rob Z) has accounted for exactly 1 AB in the entire postseason. If he gives you a 0 for 3 night with a walk, you've probably come out ahead...

Really depends on how they use Contrares these next two nights. He's not catching, so if he is sitting on the bench instead of the DH, its a loss.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Ok, full disclosure - I am, at best, a casual baseball fan. On the rare occasions I do pay attention, I watch the Cubs. So I usually don't care about who gets homefield advantage for the Series. But I have to say holy lord, is it stupid how that gets decided! The winner of an exhibition game dictates homefield? GTFO.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Ok, full disclosure - I am, at best, a casual baseball fan. On the rare occasions I do pay attention, I watch the Cubs. So I usually don't care about who gets homefield advantage for the Series. But I have to say holy lord, is it stupid how that gets decided! The winner of an exhibition game dictates homefield? GTFO.

Yeah it is, but there is not a better way to make the All-Star game matter and take away any chance of the disaster that was the 2002 All-Star game. Also, it does benefit the Cubs some being able to use the DH.

Reactions: Bobber

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Even worse, the players from the teams who have a shot are often out of the All-Star Game early on, so they're counting on players from teams like the Reds or Brewers to help out.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Really depends on how they use Contrares these next two nights. He's not catching, so if he is sitting on the bench instead of the DH, its a loss.

Kluber is really tough on Right Handed hitters. Contreras can be really valuable as a pinch hitter against Miller.

I don't think Contreras would have DH'd tonight anyway, my guess is your getting Schwarber instead of Coghlan.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa

Should be decided by regular season record at the start of each playoff series

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Yeah it is, but there is not a better way to make the All-Star game matter and take away any chance of the disaster that was the 2002 All-Star game. Also, it does benefit the Cubs some being able to use the DH.

But the entire point of an exhibition game is that it isn't supposed to officially count towards anything. A pretty important aspect of the championship is more often not decided by players who won't even sniff the postseason. That's nonsensical.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Yeah, the 2002 game sucked. But does the All Star Game NEED to matter? I know they want ratings and get people to watch, but even now, when it "matters" people don't really watch that much.

I'd rather the team with the best record get home field. The regular season should "matter" more than an exhibition game.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Kluber is really tough on Right Handed hitters. Contreras can be really valuable as a pinch hitter against Miller.

I don't think Contreras would have DH'd tonight anyway, my guess is your getting Schwarber instead of Coghlan.

Hes just a tough on lefties as he is righties. While his numbers against lefties are better, the difference is not great enough to keep one of the hottest bats out of your lineup. With as hot as Contreras is right now, there is zero chance Coughlan gets the nod over him.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Yep, I'm just worried that Davis, Lindor, Crisp, etc. are going to actually attempt to steal as often as they can and not do the "fake" stuff the Dodgers were doing.

This is what I'm thinking too. The Dodgers/Roberts were trying to distract. Francona won't do that, I don't think. He'll just tell his guys to take off.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
But the entire point of an exhibition game is that it isn't supposed to officially count towards anything. A pretty important aspect of the championship is more often not decided by players who won't even sniff the postseason. That's nonsensical.

Before that, it just alternated between NL and AL having homefield every other year so it's always been randomly decided.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa

I don't think Contreras would have DH'd tonight anyway, my guess is your getting Schwarber instead of Coghlan

This. Tonight is all about Coghlan vs Schwarber in the DH spot. Unless KS hits really well tonight, I expect Willson to either DH or C in game 2 against a RHP starter

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Before that, it just alternated between NL and AL having homefield every other year so it's always been randomly decided.

Yeah. IMO, unless every team plays all 162 games against equal competition, it hard to go off the team with the better overall record. There were only 6 team in the NL who won over 80 game, while there was 10 in the AL.

• Informative
Reactions: riceville98

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
This. Tonight is all about Coghlan vs Schwarber in the DH spot. Unless KS hits really well tonight, I expect Willson to either DH or C in game 2 against a RHP starter

Coughlan has had 5 plate appearances this postseason. There is no freaking chance he starts at DH tonight over Contrares.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Yep, I'm just worried that Davis, Lindor, Crisp, etc. are going to actually attempt to steal as often as they can and not do the "fake" stuff the Dodgers were doing.

They have to be on base first.

That said, it's likely that they'll manufacture more runs against Lester than the Dodgers were able to. But Cleveland's overall pitching isn't nearly as good as the Dodgers

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
They have to be on base first.

That said, it's likely that they'll manufacture more runs against Lester than the Dodgers were able to. But Cleveland's overall pitching isn't nearly as good as the Dodgers

I really want us to slug the **** out of them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron