Top 25 Ranking streak

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
While I agree with most of these thoughts, I also find my mind drifting back to games where Niang just literally carried us, like the show he put on vs. OU in KCity or in the Virginia game at the Sweet 16. Now, am I optimistic we can still be a top 25 team this year? You bet. But, I imagine when you lose an All-American plus the rest of your experienced front court, the voters figure there are better teams out there.

That's a top 4 and a top 8 team you are talking about. So Iowa State losing to them doesn't mean they can't be top 25.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
While I agree with most of these thoughts, I also find my mind drifting back to games where Niang just literally carried us, like the show he put on vs. OU in KCity or in the Virginia game at the Sweet 16. Now, am I optimistic we can still be a top 25 team this year? You bet. But, I imagine when you lose an All-American plus the rest of your experienced front court, the voters figure there are better teams out there.
Teams should never be ranked on who they lost. They should only be ranked on who they have on their team.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
That's a top 4 and a top 8 team you are talking about. So Iowa State losing to them doesn't mean they can't be top 25.

That wasn't my point at all. Losing to them had nothing to do with it. Just saying that its probably too soon to tell for voters just how much losing Niang is going to change us, because in those two late season, big-stage games, which voters would base a lot of their opinion, he simply put us on his back. That has to impact many voters. Heck, even I'm wondering if Niang's absence will affect this team's producttion even more than we already wonder. Sure, we have good players back and he wasn't perfect nor a great defender, but so much ran through him. The best mismatch player as so often said.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yeah...if anything, it looked like VA focused most on covering everyone else up and letting Niang do his thing. If someone like Long were playing their typical game, that likely would have been harder to do. And Virginia was very good.

I honestly think Thomas has the potential to take games over this year.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
To be honest, I think this team is a top 15 team. Getting Naz Long back is a ridiculously huge deal. We should be in the 12-15 range, but we won't be. My guess is when the AP comes out we are 23rd.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Teams should never be ranked on who they lost. They should only be ranked on who they have on their team.

I agree, but you're going to tell me that OU isn't rated as high this year but not because they lost Heild and Cousins?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
To be honest, I think this team is a top 15 team. Getting Naz Long back is a ridiculously huge deal. We should be in the 12-15 range, but we won't be. My guess is when the AP comes out we are 23rd.

As long as we are predicting I will say we spend much of the season in the 17-20 range, finish 3rd in the Big 12, and end up with a 5 seed. After that who knows.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
As long as we are predicting I will say we spend much of the season in the 17-20 range, finish 3rd in the Big 12, and end up with a 5 seed. After that who knows.
I can respect this idea. Maybe I'm just a little more optimistic than you, but I think we can be a 3 seed and be spending most of the season between 8-15. This backcourt is so ridiculously good that I have a ton of faith in this team. Burton is good and we don't need Bowie to be a freak or do too much, just grab rebounds and score 8-12 a game and we are more than good.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

If that happens (top15 'during' the season) I'll be ecstatic. Of course I love our perimeter experience, talent, and leadership. Just hope we're not underestimating the impact of replacing Niang/Nader/McKay with Holden/Burton/Young/Bowie both in rebounding and scoring. But, hey, different type of team doesn't necessarily mean less. Will we have to count too much on making the 3 ball, capable of having 'off' nights? Will be exciting to see how the team plays and develops. Can't wait.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
I am normally in the camp that says you should have to play your way out of the Top 25 unless there are extreme circumstances (say we lost Morris to the NBA in the off season). It would be really frustrating to be left out of the Top 25 without getting the chance to show your talent. The good thing is that if we start out ranked 23rd or 24th as most of us suspect, we have a pretty easy schedule to start the year which will allow us to build a buffer into our ranking.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It's because of who (OU has) left. KU lost a lot and they are ranked top 10.

Agree ... allfourcy is correct that OU is likely to drop because of the roster-losses when weighed against who is on the team now. Maybe we're splitting hairs on semantics.

An X-factor in all this, of course, is how effective coaches are at maximizing the impact of current team.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I would take that in a heartbeat. That's a nice season.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I am normally in the camp that says you should have to play your way out of the Top 25 unless there are extreme circumstances (say we lost Morris to the NBA in the off season). It would be really frustrating to be left out of the Top 25 without getting the chance to show your talent. The good thing is that if we start out ranked 23rd or 24th as most of us suspect, we have a pretty easy schedule to start the year which will allow us to build a buffer into our ranking.
Or allow one of the 'others receiving votes' teams to bump us out if they get a big win in mid November.

Help Support Us

Become a patron