MONDAY MUSINGS: Reasons for optimism in 2016

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I'd feel a lot better about our defense if we weren't dangerously thin at linebacker. Will Tymar Sutton be playing as a true freshman?

I feel good about our interior offensive line, but the tackles will be tested early by UNI's DEs.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
One other reason is that we weren't that far from having 3 more wins. Part of the reason we lost those games was coaching and part was bad luck (Cole didn't miss many fg at that distance at Toledo and 95% of the time you'd still win at k state even with boneheaded coaching decisions).

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
That's what I forgot to do. I meant to blame CW for pouring Kool-Aid all over the place, getting people's hopes up, and leading us all to think we were going undefeated. Thanks for the reminder!

Way to go, CW. Get our hopes up for Bama. Dork.

Whoa, I meant I'm the conductor of the hype train. I'm hyped.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I think we are 1 OL injury from devastation and I predict that injury will happen(because it's football, not the because we are ISU BS). My only question is when. I'm super-pumped but have nearly zero expectations. A football season is a grind and I think it's just a body count issue.

I'll be tickled with each win while realizing we are in he middle of a process.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think we are 1 OL injury from devastation and I predict that injury will happen(because it's football, not the because we are ISU BS). My only question is when. I'm super-pumped but have nearly zero expectations. A football season is a grind and I think it's just a body count issue.

I'll be tickled with each win while realizing we are in he middle of a process.

I view it this way - the OL is a limitation on the team. It's the coaching staff's job to tailor the offense and the offensive play calling to what they can get the set of guys on the field to do best. If they are successful at adopting that - the offense will be successful.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I view it this way - the OL is a limitation on the team. It's the coaching staff's job to tailor the offense and the offensive play calling to what they can get the set of guys on the field to do best. If they are successful at adopting that - the offense will be successful.
IMO, there's only so much scheming you can do to work around a weak offensive line--just look at the Vikings last year. Better just not to have any more injuries--I know, easier said than done!

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I'm with you CW. If Blum writes his yearly preseason hype piece I might have to avoid it now because otherwise I may explode.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
New staff, new playbooks, gonna take a few games for team to gel. Not expecting too much to start, I think UNI game will be an ugly win.

The last 6 games might provide more joy than the first 6 if simply from an execution standpoint.

Just happy ISU finally got over the Walden folly, and decided to take another crack at hiring a guy who was actually a head coach.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Got a chance to re-watch the press conference... Love his props to both freshmen RB's, love that Kene is hands down the fastest on the team... Not sure if we have had that at RB, true speed back....

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
IMO, there's only so much scheming you can do to work around a weak offensive line--just look at the Vikings last year. Better just not to have any more injuries--I know, easier said than done!

The Cold Hard Truth..........."Your Offense is Only as Good as Your Offensive Line"....quoting former KC Chiefs qb Lenny Dawson.............

At ISU its been a long time since we have had a real good Offensive Line...hopefully CMC will turn that around

Go Clones Bury the Purple Hoks

Help Support Us

Become a patron