Sunday OT: Misuses of mileage

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Have you ever driven several hours to an event only to realize you had the date wrong?

Have you ever driven a crazy friend to their significant other's place to make sure they weren't cheating on them?

Did your buddy Lloyd take a wrong turn and drive across Nebraska while you were sleeping?

What's your worst waste of gasoline?

Reactions: Angie

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Don't waste gasoline. In the post-apocalypse world (think zombies etc) it's diminished availability will make it a highly sought after commodity.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Bryce7

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Went to my investment guy appointment the wrong date. I think it was a week later. Clarence to Bettendorf, so maybe 45 miles each way.

No on the cheating.

---------------------------------------

A former co-worker (RIP) told a story about a couple of directionally challenged twins who were from his home town (Rock Island) who attended U of IL. They would, or course, drive I-74 between Rock Island and Champaign to go back and forth for holidays, breaks, etc.

Well, this one time they were to be heading back to U of IL and inadvertently got on I-80 going East instead of I-74. They drove all the way to Joliet before figuring out that they'd made a mistake.

But instead of just taking I-57 about 110 miles directly South to Champaign, they actually drove ALL THE WAY back to the Quad Cities to get on I-74 and THEN drove to Champaign from there. So probably about 300 extra miles.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Drove 500 miles one way to surprise this girl I wanted to bang for her birthday and her new boyfriend I didn't know about opened the door when I showed up.

image.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Not my extra mileage, but a friend's, he was from Illinois and wanted to go to Okoboji for a weekend, he missed the corner to go north and never realized he was lost till he got to Moville He never did get to Okoboji that weekend. .

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
The "story" I heard was of someone from Omaha wanting to go to KC. Also directionally challenged. They headed north on I-29 instead of south. Supposedly they didn't realize their error until they got to Sioux Falls. (You went through Sioux City, entered SD, and STILL didn't realize your mistake?)

• Funny
Reactions: Bryce7

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Have you ever driven several hours to an event only to realize you had the date wrong?

Have you ever driven a crazy friend to their significant other's place to make sure they weren't cheating on them?

Did your buddy Lloyd take a wrong turn and drive across Nebraska while you were sleeping?

What's your worst waste of gasoline?
I drove to my wedding once.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Not my extra mileage, but a friend's, he was from Illinois and wanted to go to Okoboji for a weekend, he missed the corner to go north and never realized he was lost till he got to Moville He never did get to Okoboji that weekend. .

Kinda similar... Was driving to Indy from Davenport and somehow took the interstate to Chicago. Didn't quite get there but took me about an hour to realize the mileage signs to Indy weren't there at all. And we LIVED in Indy and had driven that route lots. Thank god for road head.

• Informative
Reactions: Cybyassociation

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
Many moons ago I was working overnights at the Pilot truck stop in Walcott. One morning a car load of guys came in asking how much further to the I-35 north exit. I told them they had about another 2 hours. They starting freaking out about making court in Northwood up by Mason City. Turns out these fine young lads from Omaha had missed their exit in Des Moines for I-35 N and were actually heading east not west. Close to 300 miles out of way.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
The worst one I did happened after I helped my friend move to Milwaukee. I decided to drive back to Chippewa Falls (where I grew up) which is on the West Side of the state. I stopped at my brother's apartment in Sheboygan and stayed too long. Was super tired when I got on the road again and totally missed the turn off on to Highway 29 near Green Bay. I ended up in Peshtigo (of Peshtigo Fire fame) before I realized I made a mistake. It was a very late evening.

Attachments

• wisconsin_ref_2001.jpg
    wisconsin_ref_2001.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: coolerifyoudid
D

Deleted member 8507

I drove 7 hours for a 10 minute meeting and then 7 hours back, and it wasn't sales. I am in engineering and had to explain something.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Have a friend that grew up about 20 miles south of the Iowa/minny border. Had a car drive in his yard and ask him which exit they should take for the MSP airport because they were in the cities and missed it. He had to tell them to turn around and drive two hours north and then ask them didn't realize they were in Iowa.

Have a friend that was heading to clear lake, they live and grew up in the area, from Rochester. They got to Sioux Falls before they noticed they missed the exit on 90.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I took my kid to a wrestling tournament 3 hours away twice in junior high. Once to Sioux city and the second to Iowa city. He's not that big, but both tourneys had nobody for him to wrestle. So the directors gave him some kids from his school that were four grades older to wrestle. Basically 6 hours to wrestle a couple minutes tops.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I lived in the same house from the day I was born until I moved to ISU. House was in north central Iowa. Moved to KC after college. Got lost heading back to my parents house. Three different times.

I ended up in various small towns that I had been in numerous times, but towns that I had no business being in if I wanted to get to my actual destination.

Help Support Us

Become a patron