Who will step up on offense tomorrow

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
clonedude had some great points - however - failed to mention the most important item.

Offensive line.

If that group can't drastically improve - nothing else matters.

I agree with this. Jantz got the blame but this unit deserved more I think. They played well early in the year. Hopefully they get back to that form.

In the end though I hope the answer is anybody but Kirby ( even though I love Kirby).

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Steel will be replaced by the end of the 1st quarter....Barnett goes the rest of the season.

Let's hope that isn't the case, because it will mean that Steele has another bad game. But if he does come out and struggles big time, I hope they aren't shy about pulling the trigger and giving Barnett at least a shot.

And yes, I'll second the idea that the O-line needs to improve a lot too. However, as some have mentioned, it doesn't help when instead of stepping up into the pocket he runs backwards and right into the pursuit. The O-line wasn't good last week, but not as bad as Jantz IMO.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
And yes, I'll second the idea that the O-line needs to improve a lot too. However, as some have mentioned, it doesn't help when instead of stepping up into the pocket he runs backwards and right into the pursuit. The O-line wasn't good last week, but not as bad as Jantz IMO.

The complete inconsistent running game is on the offensive line. We have a group of very good running backs with no where to run.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
The complete inconsistent running game is on the offensive line. We have a group of very good running backs with no where to run.

Didn't our backs average more than 5 yards a carry? Can't remember if that was last week or the year.
I think (hope) the game plan is the part that improves the most the week. With jantz starting way less zone read. Use our rbs to set up the pass. Rbs=strength. Jantz arm=strength. Use it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Didn't our backs average more than 5 yards a carry? Can't remember if that was last week or the year.
I think (hope) the game plan is the part that improves the most the week. With jantz starting way less zone read. Use our rbs to set up the pass. Rbs=strength. Jantz arm=strength. Use it.

According to ESPN, last week ISU had 3.1 YPC, heavily influenced by White's 36 yard run in the 1st Quarter. Remove that from the equation and ISU averaged 2.1 YPC last week. Not nearly enough if we want to run a run-first offense.

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
According to ESPN, last week ISU had 3.1 YPC, heavily influenced by White's 36 yard run in the 1st Quarter. Remove that from the equation and ISU averaged 2.1 YPC last week. Not nearly enough if we want to run a run-first offense.

Does this average include SJ getting sacked and called a run play? SJ had a nice 20 yard run but what was his rushing total for the day?? The point was the RB's are running well, and SJ should be giving the ball to them more. This is the problem when he cannot read the zone read.

Also, the RB's did well running outside the tackles, till we stopped calling that. Need to run outside when the LOS is stacked with 7-8 guys. Where is the pitch outside? the option? Things we ran last year that worked. Or is that what we got rid of to simplify this offense?

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
Offensive performance was dismal last week for sure. A convincing win and possible ranking should turn things around on cyclone fanatic though. Likely to play 13 games this year. 4 for 5 would be a great start.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Does this average include SJ getting sacked and called a run play? SJ had a nice 20 yard run but what was his rushing total for the day?? The point was the RB's are running well, and SJ should be giving the ball to them more. This is the problem when he cannot read the zone read.

Also, the RB's did well running outside the tackles, till we stopped calling that. Need to run outside when the LOS is stacked with 7-8 guys. Where is the pitch outside? the option? Things we ran last year that worked. Or is that what we got rid of to simplify this offense?

You get me wrong - I don't blame what happened last week on the RBs at all. I blame the OL and playcalling as the reasons why the running game didn't look good at all last week. I blame the OL because they opened no holes for an inside running game and the playcalling because they insisted to continue running into the teeth of a defense that had stacked the box. When plays were called that exploited the stacked box, mainly quick runs on the outside of the defense, the offense actually moved the ball.

That being said, outside of that one White run of 36 yards and ISU's lone drive of the 3rd Quarter where they actually moved the ball down field, the running game didn't look good, but, as I just got done saying, there were other explanations for that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron