What is your experience-Tempur-Pedic, foam, vs "regular" mattress?

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Girlfriend and I looked at mattresses a couple of months ago in Ames. We went to all three stores and of them all I still prefer the Lebeda coil mattresses.

That being said, I know people who have the memory foam ones that love them. I just do not because I like a firm mattress.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
(Sheepishly, I ask.)

Wife & I want to buy a new mattress.

I love my tempurpedic. And if you go that route spend the extra money to get the ones that can recline. Word of warning, is that it might take a good 1-2 months to break it in, but once it's broken in it's awesome. If I'm watching tv I find myself spending more time on my bed (instead of my couch) than I used to.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
I have a tempur pedic and I don't think I would spend that much again. I sleep on my stomach and my arm will fall asleep if I lay on it. It also gets hot in the summer. With that said, I think it's good for my back. When I come back from a long vacation I can tell my back hurts less after a few days on the tempur pedic.

I can vouch for this too. I'd wake up with a sore back, and feel much better waking up with the tempurpedic.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I can vouch for this too. I'd wake up with a sore back, and feel much better waking up with the tempurpedic.
Me too, that first night of laying on the tempurpedic is awesome.
I bought a pillow top restonic in college and it's in our spare bedroom now, and people that spend the night like it.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Wife and I had pillow top mattress. Needed a new mattress. Decided to tryout Tempur-Pedic mattress. Tempur-Pedic really good for tummy sleepers. Not great for love making since there are no springs (mattress is all foam) in a Tempur-Pedic. My wife didn't like it because she is so small and light the foam barely conformed to her. If you try jumping into bed, it feels like if you do a belly flop into a pool. Good for posture.
So, you have one for sale? PM the water bed guy.

Last edited:

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
FWIW I asked my chiropractor for mattress advice and she said Tempurpedic's patent had run out a few years ago. So other companies have caught up and you're paying more for the brand name. I know nothing about it, just what I was told.

Can't preach the memory foam mattress enough though. They don't feel good in the showroom, and they take a few weeks to break in, but it's been great for my back, shoulders, & hips.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
We tried a Temperpedic for about 3 weeks, neither of us slept very well during that period, so we returned it and got a standard mattress. Nebraska Furniture Mart had a nice return policy that allowed us to try it out over several weeks.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I have to add a recommendation for a SleepNumber. I like a firm mattress and my wife likes soft - we both get what we want. It's air chambers so it conforms to your body, and there's nothing to break down so you don't get soft spots. The only downside is that there is a firm (not hard, but noticable) ridge down the center of the bed. But it helps keep the wife, who is an "active sleeper," from encroaching on my side overnight. The entire bed deflates and the box spring can be broken down into small/flat pieces for moving.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Do you have to have a box spring with memory foam? Our bed is setup without a box spring today. I didn't know if the slats will harm the foam.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Wife and I had pillow top mattress. Needed a new mattress. Decided to tryout Tempur-Pedic mattress. Tempur-Pedic really good for tummy sleepers. Not great for love making since there are no springs (mattress is all foam) in a Tempur-Pedic. My wife didn't like it because she is so small and light the foam barely conformed to her. If you try jumping into bed, it feels like if you do a belly flop into a pool. Good for posture.

On the sex thing.... Yeah - not the best for those types of gymnastics...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
? What are you saying here?

If you get on a firm one and you think it feels too firm at first, it DOES take a little time to break-in. When sleeping you're usually nearly naked so your body heat really helps let the mattress cradle you firmly yet really comfortably.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I have a pillowtop matress, it's pretty great. My matress and my pillow are two of the more expensive things I own. I'm spending a 3rd of my life on it.