SR Interview from Monday

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I am in agreement that we should run a more pro style, huddle up offense to slow the other teams down. Unless Mangino flips a switch and we actually start sustaining drives our "Jet Tempo" has done nothing but hurt our football team and defense.

Hopefully, we now have a guy that can run it with our players.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I really had no problem with the way our offense was no-huddle last year, at least in theory. The problem was, we didn't have creative enough plays to make the defense pay for showing their cards. So basically, we were giving them all they needed to know about what we run. Hell, when you run the read option on half of your plays, it's not that tough to figure out what we are going to do.

I think we would have been better off letting them sub players and us go ahead and get into a huddle to catch our breath a little after plays. Mess just wasn't smart enough of an OC to run that type of offense. It works when you have a Braxton Miller to bail you out, it doesn't with a beat up O-line and a hobbled QB.

We should have been in protect mode for the QB last year, not, "Let's see how many hits he can take before he dies." mode. Our offense last year was basically a chess game. I see your move and counter with this. I think Mangino is probably smart enough to actually win that chess game. Mess wasn't.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I really had no problem with the way our offense was no-huddle last year, at least in theory. The problem was, we didn't have creative enough plays to make the defense pay for showing their cards. So basically, we were giving them all they needed to know about what we run. Hell, when you run the read option on half of your plays, it's not that tough to figure out what we are going to do.

The Jet tempo only worked about 3-4 times in 5 years for ISU. The sad part was ISU would line up, look to the sideline 8 times and then just go ahead and run the play that was initially called. You would never see anyone shift unless it was a RB from one side to the other.

Huddle, or don't huddle it doesn't matter until ISU can figure out a way to make teams get out of 8-9 man fronts and can consistently run the ball. I can hardly remember when 3rd and 1 wasn't a scary venture for the Cyclones.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The Jet tempo only worked about 3-4 times in 5 years for ISU. The sad part was ISU would line up, look to the sideline 8 times and then just go ahead and run the play that was initially called. You would never see anyone shift unless it was a RB from one side to the other.

You don't have to change the formation to change the play. Generally each formation has multiple plays and some plays can even be run out of multiple formations. I wouldn't take not seeing anyone shift as confirmation that the play wasn't changed. I would probably look at what the QB does after the look to the sidelines as more of an indication. If he communicates with the linemen, it is probably (but not necessarily) changing. If he goes right into the cadence, it is probably not changing.

Last edited:

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
You don't have to change the formation to change the play. Generally each formation has multiple plays and some plays can even be run out of multiple formations. I wouldn't take not seeing anyone shift as confirmation that the play wasn't changed. I would probably look at what the QB does after the look to the sidelines as more of an indication. If he communicates with the linemen, it is probably (but not necessarily) changing. If he goes right into the cadence, it is probably not changing.

I agree with you completely, except those are the QB's responsibility. It's called reading the defense. Then you call hot routes depending on what you see. Mess doesn't need to making hot route calls in a 'jet' tempo offense. I know I'm beating a dead horse.