Mother's day weather thread

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
In SE Iowa, don't know if there was any damage from today's storm. Had a tornado just about one mile soyth of us two weeks ago and didn't know it. Only realuzed it when I drove to work Mon morning and our neighbors barn was strewn about their farm field.

Be safe my friend

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It's not looking pretty for Omaha. Just got to wish my Mom happy Mother's Day and to enjoy her tornadoes. While I miss a good thunderstorm, I do not miss these nasty things.
Your not kidding that looks like a large tornado heading towards Omaha. My brother lives in Cheynne though and they have 8" of snow, yikes.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
WIll there be enough strength left in these to spin anything up in Central IA tonight?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Tornado warning ended about 10-15 minutes ago for Omaha metro. Reports of 70+ mph wind in West/NW Omaha

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
https://twitter.com/dsmwx

Red dots are storm chasers... RT
@EverythingWX: Just a few chasers playing the warm front up north. Wow.

BnYWFqZCEAEily-.jpg:large

Does anyone know how to pull that screen up on Radarscope app?

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Drove through the worst of it in SC Iowa Today neat Osky. Was about 10 miles north of the Funnel Cloud near Ottumwa. Had to pull over during the thick of it.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Drove through the worst of it in SC Iowa Today neat Osky. Was about 10 miles north of the Funnel Cloud near Ottumwa. Had to pull over during the thick of it.
Were you there on purpose, or just traveling through? My parents live in New Sharon.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Got pretty dicey around here in NW Lincoln. Out west the storm was going NE then turned E then right before Lincoln it turned NE again and headed towards Omaha. Have had plenty of wind and rain this evening. Sirens went of in my neighborhood 2x- sure glad this spring the city decided to put a siren about a block away from the crib- found out tonite that shiz will wake you up from a dead sleep if a storm rolls up in the middle of the night- which, in its own way, is very comforting.

Edit: When I was outside watching stuff- I can see the main road from my deck and it looked like a convoy of storm chasing vehicles just lined up waiting to figure where to go next. Or maybe they wanted the "money shot" as we live kinda on a top of a ridge and have a good vantage point to the north/northwest.

Last edited:

Madcyentist

Aug 12, 2011
Ankeny/Ames
The Perry/Boone area is next up. But the part that looks the worst is spinning at the bottom (SW corner of IA) and is looking to hit the DSM Metro. It's a bow and its starting to spin and that's not comforting. Should be quite a show though.

edit: The Weather Channel is spending most of their time analyzing our entire state. I've been watching fro about 20 min.

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
Seems intense out there (from Weather Channel footage). Excited but nervous for this to hit Ames in the next hour.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron