I hope Fred puts more emphasis on D in the future.

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by acgclone, Feb 26, 2013.

1. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2007
    He's a young coach. He will hopefully learn from this season, that if you can't play D, you'll always be asking yourself "what just happened" at the end of these games.

You let the opposition gain confidence when they score every time down the court. Teams that can't score, seem to have record nights against us.

If you look at the games we've lost in the B12, we played extremely well offensively and hit a crazy amount of 3's in most of our losses. But at the end of the game, we can't get a stop and they opposition can.

2. Drive4cy

Drive4cy Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Our D isn't great but its OK. We've been extremely unlucky to lose 3 of the conference games we've lost. We do need a legit interior defender though, I will agree there. You can't always play with 6'7 and 6'6 PF/C combos.

3. demoncore1031

demoncore1031 Well-Known Member

i hope fred starts blowing the refs before games like a certain coach in the conference seems to do. his name rhymes with will pelf just to give you a clue

4. MNclone

MNclone Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Production Engineer
    Burnsville, MN
    Nope, I hope he keeps doing what he is doing.
    Did you hear the entire halftime crew talk about how they would love to play for the Mayor. He is doing great things at ISU. Close losses shouldn't cloud that!
    You don't normally get the bad bounces in every close game like they have this year.

5. CarolinaCy

CarolinaCy Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Letting a poor outside shooting team like KU knock down 54% overall and 52% from three in your own building won't win you many of those games, regardless of what the refs are calling.

6. tyler24

tyler24 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2006
    His teams will never be filled with defensive studs. Teams at ISU will have the mentality that we are going to outscore you and if you bring it down to the wire with us, we will outscore you at that point too.

7. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    Our style is our style. It works better when we aren't playing 5 on 8.

8. I hope agclone puts more emphasis on not making dumb threads after games in the future.

9. IowaStateClones

IowaStateClones Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Engineer
    You are adumbass

10. CYUL8R

CYUL8R Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Ames, IA

That was all one player...jeez...

But you're right - we do lack D, but I think a lot had to do (especially in OT) with the fact that after that sh1tty call on Niang the guys didn't even try to play tough for fear of getting called for looking at KU sideways.

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    ISU's unique style of basketball is great for them right now. Ejim is great, but ISU simply just needs to win some games so they can recruit those 6'8" and 6'9" guys that can fit their system on offense and defend the interior on defense. Also, getting HS kids in the program for 3-4 years will help the defense, I think.

I think the plan is great. No need to change. The offense is beautiful. They'll get there. That was an exhibition tonight. Should've been a win if life was fair.

12. volclone

volclone Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Yeah, I hope he call McDermott for a few pointers--boy I really miss those days. Those thrilling 51-48 grind it out games. Yeah, that's really what we need:plaugh:

13. IowaStateClones

IowaStateClones Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Engineer
    I bet your boot lip is bigger than Elijah's

14. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    Just counted, in the 4 conference games where Iowa State has been ahead or within 1 possession with 2:00 to go, we have 4 stops in 4 games. We get 1 stop per game inside 2:00. You won't win basketball games that way.

15. brokenloginagain

brokenloginagain Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2006
    There's never been an elite eight team with a kenpom def efficiency >30. Ours is >100. Long term we have to improve d if we want to get to the level we all want.

16. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    grundy center
    why does everyone hit threes against us ? up by 5 with 40 seconds left AGAIN.

17. clonetil01

clonetil01 Member

Nov 23, 2009
    I understand the frustration with our D, but that wasn't the problem tonight, otherwise you should be saying Self should learn how to coach better D, KU is best def team in the Big 12 statiscally. When guys are hitting 28 ft shots like that, what can you do besides make your FTs, which we did for the most part. When the refs do what they did, it blows up the game plan. The game plan was perfect tonight, and it showed. Our plan was to outscore them in a shootout and we did. Take th 8-12 ref points out and we come away with a really nice win. We'll always be this type of team with a spread offense and one or two good man on man def, thinking Okoro will slide into Babb's role next year.

18. cyclo120

cyclo120 Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Obviously people are talking about the blown call and rightfully so, but I really do think our D will be the bigger story looking back. We shouldn't of even got to the position where that call was that important. We gave up way to many easy baskets, and when we don't win playing these high scoring games its a problem.

19. LutherBlue

LutherBlue Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Our defense is not good, but we have really suffered from (1) opponents making some insane shots, (2) we have an especially hard time getting rebounds with our lack of size when the refs swallow the whistles at the end of games.

20. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2007
    #20 acgclone, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    This is my point. I'm not saying bring back McDoormat. I love Fred and love that he's brought us back.

I'm just saying that unless we start trying to get some stops we'll always be a fun team to watch, but we'll keep losing games down the stretch because you have to get stops against KU to beat a them. The same can be said on the road, but the difference is bad D can make a bottom half B12 team look like the Heat when you're playing in their arena.

Look at our losses. We aren't losing because we're not scoring enough.

Maybe he'll eventually recruit such great athletes that they'll just get stops because they're great athletes.