Do they make scary movies anymore?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cyrocksmypants, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Dino

Dino Active Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Modeling
    Des Moines
    Impressed that you refer to The Thing as "Carpenter" instead of "original." Most people think that one was the original.

2. ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Professional Pongid Pundit
    ...in the trees...
    Nothing impressive there...I'm almost as old as the original with James Arness! ;)

3. mcblogerson

mcblogerson Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Ohio
    My worst nightmare plays out in a scene of Brokeback Mountain and Deliverance.

4. cyrocksmypants

cyrocksmypants Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Being Totally Awesome
    Honolulu, HI
    I just watched Cabin in the Woods. While I wouldn't call it a horror movie (although it's classified as that) and it didn't scare me whatsoever, I still rather enjoyed it. It was a good shot at the horror movie fans who get so angry if a horror movie doesn't end exactly how they expect it to. Loved the message of the movie.

5. Cyclones_R_GR8

Cyclones_R_GR8 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Omaha
    I just think a lot of it has to do with growing up. I enjoyed Insidious and the Conjuring but once they are over I am over it. Stuff that scared me when I was much younger isn't going to do it anymore.

One of the things that gets me is so many people feel the need for some comic relief in a horror movie to break the tension. I am just the opposite, I want tension to build and build until you get one little sound or movement and you jump like a little sissy.

6. cyrocksmypants

cyrocksmypants Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Being Totally Awesome
    Honolulu, HI
    Same here. I'd prefer overwhelming dread throughout an entire movie as opposed to false calm from comic relief.