Corey Ihmels to Boise State

Discussion in 'General College Sports' started by CyFan61, Jun 14, 2013.

1. CyFan61

CyFan61 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2010
    #1 CyFan61, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    Seeing it all over Twitter. Big loss for ISU T&F and CC.

Looks like story broke by @BJRains on Twitter, Idaho Press-Tribune writer

2. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    #2 Tornado man, Jun 14, 2013
    Wow - wonder what happened. Here's his quote from the Boise State website -didn't know he lived there at one time there prior to ISU: "After having lived and trained in Boise as a distance runner, I strongly believe that the programs at Boise State can become a national powerhouse," Ihmels said. "With everything that the University and the city have to offer, there is an incredible amount of untapped potential for these programs. I am excited to bring my passion for developing national-class track and field and cross country student-athletes to Boise State."

3. superman_101680

Oct 30, 2006
    Indiana
    Big 12 to MWC? That seems a tad odd to me.

4. brokenloginagain

brokenloginagain Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2006
    if there's bad news at iowa state, I know tornado man will be there to tell me all about it.

5. superman_101680

Oct 30, 2006
    Indiana
    I will say that Boise is a nice location. I was surprised how much I liked the city.

6. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works

Mar 20, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    This sucks big time.

7. Cyclonetrombone

Cyclonetrombone Active Member

Aug 26, 2010
    American Red Cross
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I hope our distance program doesn't slip. I am sure the draw of coaching Emma Bates helped sway his opinion. Adding another name like that to his resume of coached athletes would definitely enhance things. Several other AAs returning as well. Its possible that this just turned into a Sanderson situation where Boise came with a check that ISU couldn't meet. Plus we lose a fair amount of talent after this season on Women and our Men's team has been a couple of steps behind them for a while. I love our distance identity and we are likely not going to get the sprinters to come up North when powerhouse programs are going after them. Distance athletes help out in two sports and three seasons... hopefully we can nab a good name to continue that development.

8. CY9008

CY9008 Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Des Moines, IA
    Yeah this really really sucks for our Athletic department as a whole. How many points did M&W T&F and XC contribute to directors cup? A lot.

I wonder what our budget is for all the sports he was coaching? He got a brand new state of the art outdoor track, a really good indoor track, and an excellent XC course close to campus.

Must be salary? You'd think we could pony up a few more bucks than Boisie St?!

9. Cyballz

Cyballz Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
  10. jbhtexas

jbhtexas Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Arlington, TX
    #10 jbhtexas, Jun 14, 2013
    EADA Search

According to the EADA website, in 2011-2012 BSU's AD spent $26,862,366. ISU's AD spent $55,154,127. For reference, PSU'S AD spent $94,201,202.

I can see PSU coming with a check that ISU can't match. But BSU???

Losing head coaches to a school with an AD budget like BSU's over money would be embarrassing, no matter what the sport is. I would really like to know the scoop behind this one.

11. DSMCy

DSMCy Active Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Unless Boise State really upped the salary for Corey, the salary looks comparable. Actually less at Boise.

Looks like Ihmels made $122K at ISU last year.

JW Hardy was making $95,000 at Boise in FY2010, which is the last data I could find. $85,010 base salary.
    Corey would have been at $105K in 2010.

If it was money, what would it take for ISU not to match? $200K + ?

Definitely seems sudden.

12. tec71

tec71 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Executive Director
    Ankeny, Iowa
    From Pollard to the athletes forwarded Track/CC letterwinners.

Dear Cross Country and Track and Field Student Athletes,

As many of you recently heard, Coach Ihmels has decided to leave Iowa State University for another coaching position. While we are certainly sad to see Corey leave Iowa State University, we also respect his personal decision and desire to live in that part of the country.

I also realize many of you have concerns and questions about what the future holds for each of you and for our program. Although there will be more questions than answers in the short term, I want each of you to take comfort in the following:

1. There is not another program in the country that has an Athletics Administration that cares about and knows more about your sport than our administration.
    2. You have my personal commitment that hiring a new coach is going to be our number one focus. In fact, I have already been in contact with several potential coaches and I am confident we will find a coach that will not only continue our outstanding tradition, but will help elevate our program to the next level.

We are not the first program nor are we the last program to experience a change in our head coach. We will get through this together and we will have a new coach on board as quickly as possible.

If you have any specific questions or concerns, please direct them to Calli Sanders (csanders@iastate.edu) or 515-294-3706. Calli will serve as the point person for most of your questions as I will be dedicating my time to conducting the search for our new head coach.

Go Cyclones!

Jamie Pollard
    Director of Athletics

13. im4cyclones

im4cyclones Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Ames, IA
    Wow. Big loss. At least he raised our program to where it should be attractive to others.

14. Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    This is so true - thanks for the post!

15. Dryburn

Dryburn Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Somewhere in the U.S.
    Hate to see him go. He has brought the ISU programs back. I hope they can find a strong replacement.

16. colbycheese

colbycheese Well-Known Member

I had to do a double take on this part. I read "Calli Sanders" as "Cael Sanderson".

17. cyclonestate

cyclonestate Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Corey built the success of our program on international recruits (he inherited Lisa Kohl). He'll have an easier time getting those recruits admitted to Boise State than he did to Iowa State.

18. nj829

nj829 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Northwest Arkansas
    Didn't he go to Boise State for college? Thought I read that on Twitter.

19. Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    No, he went to college here.

20. theshadow

theshadow Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2006
    I must have missed the part of that e-mail that said "Open Letter to Everyone on Cyclone Fanatic".