Air Duct Cleaning

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
My wife and I have lived in a new construction house for 2 years and the entire time we have noticed that there seems to be a large amount of dust in our house. I replace the furnace filter roughly every 3 months, and it is always very dirty (seems caked with dust). I began to think that since it is new construction, that lots of dust accumulated in the ducts and is blowing into the house. My wife has also seemed to get sick more frequently since we moved in. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with air duct cleaning? If so, how did it go? Did you notice any difference?

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
When we moved in to our 70-year old house, we hired Zerorez to clean the ducts while we were moving in. The people that lived in the house before us had pets (which we were allergic to) and they got rid of all sorts of fur, dirt and also a few toys from the previous tenants. They were very thorough and we noticed improvement right away.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Couldn't you get someone with a flexible camera to inspect the ductwork to see if it is indeed dusty or dirty? I think a lot of duct cleanings is sometimes a bit of a racket and unnecessary.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I need to do this too. Is there anyway to do this by yourself and not hire a service? Other than opening all the vents and reaching in?

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
My wife and I have lived in a new construction house for 2 years and the entire time we have noticed that there seems to be a large amount of dust in our house. I replace the furnace filter roughly every 3 months, and it is always very dirty (seems caked with dust). I began to think that since it is new construction, that lots of dust accumulated in the ducts and is blowing into the house. My wife has also seemed to get sick more frequently since we moved in. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with air duct cleaning? If so, how did it go? Did you notice any difference?
On new construction houses they install an outdoor air intake. It is literally a duct going outside with damper and a screen that is way to big to catch anything. If that is open you will bring in all kinds of dust. I would check that first.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I've used Gilliam Power Vac in Des Moines on 2 different houses and they are the best. They will actually cut open your main distribution duct and your main return duct so they can clean and sanitize it. They do a great job replacing the hole and ensuring that it is sealed properly. If the service company doesn't open up your main ducts you are wasting your money. They only do 1 job a day, so there not cutting corners to get to the next place. I've been told by multiple people to NEVER use any of the companies that are on Groupon.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I've used Gilliam Power Vac in Des Moines on 2 different houses and they are the best. They will actually cut open your main distribution duct and your main return duct so they can clean and sanitize it. They do a great job replacing the hole and ensuring that it is sealed properly. If the service company doesn't open up your main ducts you are wasting your money. They only do 1 job a day, so there not cutting corners to get to the next place. I've been told by multiple people to NEVER use any of the companies that are on Groupon.
Thanks Mr Gilliam. ;)

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Thanks Mr Gilliam. ;)
well done. I promise you that I have ZERO ties to them. I've just been very impressed with their work. My HVAC guy referred me to them when he installed our furnace and AC.

ElaineN

Oct 4, 2016
Vancouver

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We used Top Notch Chimney for duct cleaning. Really pleasant and cleaned up the area well.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

Not sure about duct cleaning, but I was told by an HVAC repair guy once that instead of buying good filters & replacing every 3 months, you should buy the cheapest ones & replace every month. I can't speak to if it actually helps or not, because my wife is like Pride's - seemingly allergic to everything in the air.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Not sure about duct cleaning, but I was told by an HVAC repair guy once that instead of buying good filters & replacing every 3 months, you should buy the cheapest ones & replace every month. I can't speak to if it actually helps or not, because my wife is like Pride's - seemingly allergic to everything in the air.

My HVAC guy told me the same thing.

Help Support Us

Become a patron