Iowa vs Iowa State 2015

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
We completely dominated Iowa that first half and it wasn't close..In second half Quan Floyd and Demond Tucker were out..not to mention our best Olineman didn't play. 2nd half was totally dif story..Iowa had several long QB scrambles and 1 huge long pass..they took full advantage of Floyd being out 2nd half..first half Floyd and Moyà were shutting down Iowa WRs. But losing Demond was devastating..He was in IOwa backfield like half a dozen times in 1st half..they had no answer for him. That game was tied with 3 min to play and then we just completely self destructed.
Ott was hurt early in last year's game, and his replacement Parker Hesse played decently well the rest of the game and should have a starting role this season. I'd agree that we'll be a little weak at WR, but honestly it's been that way since 2011 for us.

Yea Iowa never really has dominate WR's..Vanderberg is a very good possession WR..we will see if they have any true deep threats which I think hurts them this year..But Iowa's offense is no different..Run the football..ball control..and when it's 3rd down its either a pass to the TE or RB out of backfield..That's basically Iowa's offense. Easier said than done to stop it always..In prior year as it was easier because Iowa didn't really have that great of a QB..with CJB it brings that dimension..

I will say thought that I truly think this will be the best defense we've had in a decade. Certainly the best DLine and secondary we will have put on the Field and Harvey at LB is a stud. Guarantee you we will dedicate all we have to shut down that run and it won't be with a 3-4 where Iowa can just move to the second level with ease like the 2nd half WITHOUT Tucker.

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009
We completely dominated Iowa that first half and it wasn't close..In second half Quan Floyd and Demond Tucker were out..not to mention our best Olineman didn't play. 2nd half was totally dif story..Iowa had several long QB scrambles and 1 huge long pass..they took full advantage of Floyd being out 2nd half..first half Floyd and Moyà were shutting down Iowa WRs. But losing Demond was devastating..He was in IOwa backfield like half a dozen times in 1st half..they had no answer for him. That game was tied with 3 min to play and then we just completely self destructed.

Bit of a stretch to say ISU dominated Iowa in the first half. In the first half, Iowa ran 36 plays for 243 yards. ISU ran 32 plays for 254 yards. In the second half, Iowa had 35 plays for 227 yards, ISU 31 plays for 66. One team wore the other one out.

Game this year should be good again as it usually is. Whoever plays better will win, as is usually the case.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Bit of a stretch to say ISU dominated Iowa in the first half. In the first half, Iowa ran 36 plays for 243 yards. ISU ran 32 plays for 254 yards. In the second half, Iowa had 35 plays for 227 yards, ISU 31 plays for 66. One team wore the other one out.

Game this year should be good again as it usually is. Whoever plays better will win, as is usually the case.
I get what you are saying but a lot of Iowa's yards came in big chunks. 100 yards came on 2 plays that should have never happened. Now they did and that is why iowa won, but without those 2 plays the whole game would have been different. If bethard doesn't make that great play to avoid that safety, I think ISU would have won....I will agree that without Tucker ISU started to get worn out against Iowa's running game.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Iowa 3rd and long with their QB trying not to get sacked in the endzone then turning it into a big gain. That was the killer on that game.

The biggest killer for me was 3rd and 20 on the 5 yard line when a certain safety let's a player behind him....they convert that and then take another 4 min on the drive that tires out or defense. If they stop them there, the D would have been rested going into the next possesion.

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009
I get what you are saying but a lot of Iowa's yards came in big chunks. 100 yards came on 2 plays that should have never happened. Now they did and that is why iowa won, but without those 2 plays the whole game would have been different. If bethard doesn't make that great play to avoid that safety, I think ISU would have won....I will agree that without Tucker ISU started to get worn out against Iowa's running game.

I get what you are saying. But that's part of playing defense, is preventing big plays. In the first half, Iowa State had plays of 37 yards to Jauan Wesley, 29 yards to Wesley and 53 yards to Trevor Ryen. Iowa's defense doesn't just get to erase those big plays from the ledger, just like ISU doesn't get to take out Beathard's big runs. Iowa State outplayed Iowa in the first half, the scoreboard reflected it and Ferentz took a silly gamble on the last play of the first half with the fake FG. Even if Iowa kicks the FG, ISU leads 17-13 at half and is fully deserving of leading. In the second half, ISU had two plays of over 15 yards, a 17 yarder to Lazard and a 20-yard pass to Lazard. Iowa had 5, plus a 34-yard punt return by King. That's your difference in the game right there.

Reactions: ICHawk24

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I get what you are saying. But that's part of playing defense, is preventing big plays. In the first half, Iowa State had plays of 37 yards to Jauan Wesley, 29 yards to Wesley and 53 yards to Trevor Ryen. Iowa's defense doesn't just get to erase those big plays from the ledger, just like ISU doesn't get to take out Beathard's big runs. Iowa State outplayed Iowa in the first half, the scoreboard reflected it and Ferentz took a silly gamble on the last play of the first half with the fake FG. Even if Iowa kicks the FG, ISU leads 17-13 at half and is fully deserving of leading. In the second half, ISU had two plays of over 15 yards, a 17 yarder to Lazard and a 20-yard pass to Lazard. Iowa had 5, plus a 34-yard punt return by King. That's your difference in the game right there.
Our big plays were in the flow of the offense. Iowa's were lucky last ditch efforts if I remember right.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Amazingly our horrid 2015 team was tied with the greatest Iowa team in history-- with 3 1/2 minutes to go in the 4th quarter

Was Iowa the worst 12-0 power 5 program in the last 50 yrs?

It is interesting how few EIU fans even remember that fact of the game being tied late in the 4th Q.

• Disagree

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Going back and watching the game you could see how much more fired up Iowa was for that game. Their sidelines, the way they were coming off the ball, flying to the ball carrier, etc. It was pretty noticeable even if you weren't looking for it

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Ott was hurt early in last year's game, and his replacement Parker Hesse played decently well the rest of the game and should have a starting role this season. I'd agree that we'll be a little weak at WR, but honestly it's been that way since 2011 for us.

Ott was hurt in first half. As I have stated when signed up here, I am first a Hawk fan and then just enjoy college football and have stated I wish to see ISU win every game but 1. I have season tickets to Iowa and ISU games. My wife goes to Ames and I go to Iowa games if both at home, unless the temp is below 50 degrees and then she is not going to sit outside anywhere. First I will pay a huge compliment, it gets loud in Ames when you play Iowa. Your student section is awesome. One of the louder venues they have to go play in. It provides a great test for them heading into the Big Ten. Iowa had two brand new starting tackles last year and a freshman guard, so 3 brand new starters on their O-Line and their first away game. So yeah I expected some WTF moments out of them. I particularly watched Boone Myers that first half and he was just getting schooled by whoever it was that lined up against him. In the second half on the plays I watched him he held his own so he seemed to do a lot better in the second half. This year's O Line is much more seasoned now with everyone having started multiple games. And you can bring up Stanford, yeah that is a game we f-ed up in every facet of the game. And that doesn't change that we will be going head to head on Sept 10. Right now I would say Iowa's weakest area is our Tight Ends (except for Kittle) and our special teams in Punter and Kicker. And if Beathard were to go out for any reason Wiegers would likely struggle although playbook would be much more restricted. People believe that our receivers might be weak, but I expect them to be the surprise group this year. Not as good as Lazard no, but still alright.

Will be fun watching ISU passing against Iowa's secondary. Strength vs Strength.

Will be loud in Kinnick for sure. Glad they put this one as a night game.

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009
Our big plays were in the flow of the offense. Iowa's were lucky last ditch efforts if I remember right.

All in the eye of the beholder. The Beathard 40-yard run from the goal line was certainly not "planned." If Iowa State tackles, it's a modest gain.

I think there is much that we are agreeing on. The game was highly competitive, as being tied under 5 minutes would indicate. I would anticipate a similar sort of game this year. ISU has a capable QB and good WR's and RB. Iowa has a quality QB, some decent pieces elsewhere and likely advantage in the trenches. Looks like a good game to me.

kcyclone

Sep 11, 2012
Will be fun watching ISU passing against Iowa's secondary. Strength vs Strength.

I think that's the first time I've heard anyone say the passing game will be ISU's strength this year. Even with a glue together O-Line, it has to be the running game (Warren) leading the team.

BVHawk95

Jun 10, 2016
I think that's the first time I've heard anyone say the passing game will be ISU's strength this year. Even with a glue together O-Line, it has to be the running game (Warren) leading the team.
I would say the same thing. Not knocking on Lanning, but from what I've seen he's better as a runner, and not as much as a dropback QB. It helps having Lazard to throw to, but he's just one man.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
First half was close. Second wasn't really a contest. Blown opportunities by Iowa kept it closer than it would've otherwise been. Dez ran a beautiful route for Sam on that 4th quarter throw. But Tucker being out was big, he was a beast in the first half. Will be interesting to see what he's able to do for 4 quarters against a good OL. At the same time, Ott being out for Iowa was huge. He was only in for 2 or 3 series, and while he was in ISU ran virtually everything to the other side of the field in the form of running plays and quick passes. Most intrigue for me is seeing how ISU transitions to CMC's game. He runs a system similar to Iowa but doesn't yet have the horses that've been trained for that kind of system. Playing into Iowa's hand? Maybe. But KF often looks to win without offending the opposing side, and this thing has been close in recent years, so who knows.

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012

Yea Iowa never really has dominate WR's..Vanderberg is a very good possession WR..we will see if they have any true deep threats which I think hurts them this year..But Iowa's offense is no different..Run the football..ball control..and when it's 3rd down its either a pass to the TE or RB out of backfield..That's basically Iowa's offense. Easier said than done to stop it always..In prior year as it was easier because Iowa didn't really have that great of a QB..with CJB it brings that dimension..

I will say thought that I truly think this will be the best defense we've had in a decade. Certainly the best DLine and secondary we will have put on the Field and Harvey at LB is a stud. Guarantee you we will dedicate all we have to shut down that run and it won't be with a 3-4 where Iowa can just move to the second level with ease like the 2nd half WITHOUT Tucker.

Not sure how you can say this is Iowa State's best D-Line over any period of time. Without Tucker it's probably the worst Power Five defensive line in the country. Even with him it is still towards the bottom.

Iowa State has had better defensive backfields in recent memory, too. Cotton Moya is very good, but outside of that there doesn't appear to be any high end talent.

I think this should be one of the worst ISU defenses in recent memory. Depth is always an issue for Iowa State (and many schools outside of Alabama, OSU, etc)....if they lose one or two of the wrong guys to injury they are going to get absolutely torched.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Not sure how you can say this is Iowa State's best D-Line over any period of time. Without Tucker it's probably the worst Power Five defensive line in the country. Even with him it is still towards the bottom.

Iowa State has had better defensive backfields in recent memory, too. Cotton Moya is very good, but outside of that there doesn't appear to be any high end talent.

I think this should be one of the worst ISU defenses in recent memory. Depth is always an issue for Iowa State (and many schools outside of Alabama, OSU, etc)....if they lose one or two of the wrong guys to injury they are going to get absolutely torched.

Peavy is a high end talent but with how bad our defense is going to be Iowa should win by 100 this year right?

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Give Iowa credit for the win. They made a lot of big plays. Some may appear lucky, but that is what playmakers do, they make something out of nothing. Another play that really HELPED Iowa that I don't think has been mentioned is King's punt return. Iowa should have been pinned back inside their own 10 I believe. When King received the punt there were 4 Cyclones right on a top of him and no one tackled him, it was almost as if they thought he was going to fair catch it or something. Iowa also benefited from ISU injuries at key positions, big time. The one that really hurt other than Tucker and Burton was Floyd being out. Every single time Iowa needed a play, they picked on Cotton. Vanderburg continued to get open on Cotton. Cotton was absolutely terrible, I mean just terrible in coverage. The Iowa coaches in the box saw that and took advantage. We were good enough to win the game, but not smart enough and didn't get the breaks. It takes playmakers to win games like this and Iowa made the plays and we didn't. Going into this year, no way am I expecting ISU to win. Actually, I think we are going to get blown out.

Last edited:

GoPackGo93

Jun 2, 2016
I've never been more certain that an INT was coming than that last drive. Very frustrating to watch Richardson give that away so easily. Mangino was a complete disaster. The only guy fooled by Iowa's raider package in two years.

I would definitely argue that their Raider package fooled Northwestern and Wisconsin. They couldn't get anything going against Iowa, 16 combined points.

Help Support Us

Become a patron