Just drove by campus town

TranCytive

Apr 15, 2014
And wow, they are tearing everything down it seems. Kingland Systems seems to be taking over, and I for one am not very happy about it. I know they are probably going to employ a few people but I hope campus town doesn't turn into a business district. Also I do think campus town needs a ton of renovations, I wish the business owners would take action on this. It has the potential to be really nice.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
And wow, they are tearing everything down it seems. Kingland Systems seems to be taking over, and I for one am not very happy about it. I know they are probably going to employ a few people but I hope campus town doesn't turn into a business district. Also I do think campus town needs a ton of renovations, I wish the business owners would take action on this. It has the potential to be really nice.

It will look even worse when they take it all the way to the corner of Welch.

Guetterdone1

Jul 4, 2012
Ames
Was just taking to my roommates about this the other day. It's embarrassing. I want to go to the bars but it's not that enjoyable because their pretty bad compared to other college campustowns. I'm 22 and still rather go to house parties if their nice.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'm 22 and was house partied out by the time I was 19. But the bars do suck in campus town

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Hopefully, there will be some good retail establishments on the first floor of the new building.

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
It has baffled me that Kingland didn't decide to move out of Campustown when they decided they needed new offices. They are only taking away business from potential restaurants, bars and stores specifically geared towards students.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
You guys all prefer campustown remain a **** hole? At least Kingland is doing something. They are an Iowa company started by ISU grads and employ ISU students and they are expanding and thats a bad thing?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You guys all prefer campustown remain a **** hole? At least Kingland is doing something. They are an Iowa company started by ISU grads and employ ISU students and they are expanding and thats a bad thing?

I prefer campus town be a place for students to have fun with bars, food, coffee houses etc (like it was).

Good for Kingland, if they want a big office there are plenty of places besides campus town they could have located. The ISU research park would have been a great place for them. They could have built as big as they wanted, just like Webfilings is.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
The whole first floor of the new building will be retail... No one seems to get that.

There will be as much if not more retail space in the brand new building than there was in the old dumps there.

This is a major improvement for Campustown. If you have been to literally any other major college town anywhere, their bar district is significantly better than ours. I bet even BYU has a better bar district.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I prefer campus town be a place for students to have fun with bars, food, coffee houses etc (like it was).

Good for Kingland, if they want a big office there are plenty of places besides campus town they could have located. The ISU research park would have been a great place for them. They could have built as big as they wanted, just like Webfilings is.
There are no less bars now than there were a year ago in campustown.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
The whole first floor of the new building will be retail... No one seems to get that.

There will be as much if not more retail space in the brand new building than there was in the old dumps there.

This is a major improvement for Campustown. If you have been to literally any other major college town anywhere, their bar district is significantly better than ours. I bet even BYU has a better bar district.

I would say honestly that we are better than Ohio State's only because you HAVE to have someone drive or take a taxi to get to the bars from anywhere near campus. Their bar scene is a couple miles away minimum.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I would say honestly that we are better than Ohio State's only because you HAVE to have someone drive or take a taxi to get to the bars from anywhere near campus. Their bar scene is a couple miles away minimum.

Was thinking more of "college town" in the sense of a small town that revolves around the campus, so not really Columbus. If you have been to Lawrence or Manhattan for example, both of their entertainment district areas blow Ames' away and it is not even close.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I wish we had a Campustown similar to Aggieville in Manhattan. Had a blast when we were down there this past fall

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Here are the renderings from their website. It looks like there is a lot of room for other businesses on the first floor, and that they are moving their operations to the second and third floor. Looks like it could be a great thing for Campustown.

http://www.kingland.com/our-company/ames-expansion/the-future-expansion/nggallery/thumbnails/

2nd or 3rd floor. One of those floors will be rented out for offices as well. Could be a really nice economic improvement for everyone but the imaginary coffee shops.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron