***2023-24 Mens College Basketball Thread***

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Lets also not act like Fran's been incredibly consistent at making the field either. He had a nice run of 5 years. But before that he made it to the field of 64 twice in the first 8 seasons.

Who's to say this isn't just reverting to the norm after Garza\Murray?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I honestly don't give a **** what they do either way. I just know they aren't firing a guy who just came off 5 straight tourneys and is 14-10 in a rebuilding year.

Again, records don’t matter. Booster support is what matters. The AD can’t have an empty CHA regardless of how much TV money is coming in. There’s a member of the Ferentz family that needs paid and she can’t have the basketball program take all that money.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I its
Again, records don’t matter. Booster support is what matters. The AD can’t have an empty CHA regardless of how much TV money is coming in. There’s a member of the Ferentz family that needs paid and she can’t have the basketball program take all that money.

It's one year, start winning again and the fans will come back. If it's still **** attendance and apathy 2 years from now I'd say you have a good argument.

Personally I think he'll leave on his own terms either this year or next so it won't get to that point.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
No AD ever fired a coach because of wins or losses. They fire a coach because of fan support and ultimately revenue coming in. If boosters stop buying tickets and donating money, you have to make a change. It doesn’t matter how many wins a coach gets.

Iowa fans just don’t care anymore. That alone requires his removal. The teams record doesn’t matter.
Wow this is extremely wrong on just multiple levels. The win loss record is the only thing that matters because that’s what drives money. The SEC has fired many coaches without seeing ticket sales drop or donations drop soley due to the record.

• Disagree
Reactions: alarson

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Wow this is extremely wrong on just multiple levels. The win loss record is the only thing that matters because that’s what drives money. The SEC has fired many coaches without seeing ticket sales drop or donations drop soley due to the record.

No. A win does not bring in any money. A fan paying for a ticket brings in the money. There is certainly a correlation between winning and fan support, but the fan support is what matters to the athletic director. Cause fans bring money.

In the case of Iowa, the fans are speaking loudly with their attendance.

Reactions: nrg4isu

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
No. A win does not bring in any money. A fan paying for a ticket brings in the money. There is certainly a correlation between winning and fan support, but the fan support is what matters to the athletic director. Cause fans bring money.

In the case of Iowa, the fans are speaking loudly with their attendance.
Umm winning does bring in money, most people don’t show up for a team that’s regularly losing. I’ve never heard of a coach being fired for winning at or above school expectations because attendance was low, that simply just doesn’t happen.

I agree with you on a lot but I think you’re way off with this point. Winning fixes and sadly in many cases excuses everything.

• Dumb

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
@alarson you want to explain the logic behind winning not being the most important thing or just dumb and disagree with posts for no reason?

Someone already explained it to you. Thus the dumb rating. I've never given a dumb rating for no reason (and crying about dumb ratings will always get one too)

Money is what matters to ADs. Attendance and viewership bring the money. Usually wins deliver those things, but not always, and we see that from Iowa where apathy has heavily set in.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Someone already explained it to you. Thus the dumb rating. I've never given a dumb rating for no reason (and crying about dumb ratings will always get one too)

Money is what matters to ADs. Attendance and viewership bring the money. Usually wins deliver those things, but not always, and we see that from Iowa where apathy has heavily set in.
And again, no coach has been fired because of attendance and viewership. They are fired for losing records. This the record is what matters at the end of the day. If a coach is winning at or above school expectations they aren’t getting fired nor does the AD care.

Also wasn’t crying when someone does a series of drive by dumbs with no comment I’m always curious what they disagree with. Especially for something as obvious as winning being the most important thing.

• Dumb

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

:oops:
(and CC isn't playing...:rolleyes:)
Eh, the headline grabs attention but you can get in the building for $130. If you read through the article it says the only remaining game with tickets left (standing room only) is ISU. Best matchup and it's not sold out. Good. Don't respect us and don't get pumped up for us. The team may have some surprises for that fan base.

• Winner
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Eh, the headline grabs attention but you can get in the building for $130. If you read through the article it says the only remaining game with tickets left (standing room only) is ISU. Best matchup and it's not sold out. Good. Don't respect us and don't get pumped up for us. The team may have some surprises for that fan base.

Yeah, i always hate articles that quote highest prices.

Sometimes people put tickets up that they firmly intend to use, but will be more than willing to stay at home if someone will pay them an astronomical price.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Umm winning does bring in money, most people don’t show up for a team that’s regularly losing. I’ve never heard of a coach being fired for winning at or above school expectations because attendance was low, that simply just doesn’t happen.

I agree with you on a lot but I think you’re way off with this point. Winning fixes and sadly in many cases excuses everything.

So why did Brian Ferentz get fired when they went 10-2 this year?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
And again, no coach has been fired because of attendance and viewership. They are fired for losing records. This the record is what matters at the end of the day. If a coach is winning at or above school expectations they aren’t getting fired nor does the AD care.

Also wasn’t crying when someone does a series of drive by dumbs with no comment I’m always curious what they disagree with. Especially for something as obvious as winning being the most important thing.
UCLA-Ben Howland

I remember that firing and attendance being part of the reason.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
So why did Brian Ferentz get fired when they went 10-2 this year?
He’s not the head coach? He failed at his position, same reason why the 49ers fired their DC today or why any coordinator gets fired. Notice his dad is fully secure in his job because of the win total despite scandals and their offense becoming a national laughing stock

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
UCLA-Ben Howland

I remember that firing and attendance being part of the reason.
The actual reason was in his last 5 seasons he only made the tournament 3 times and never made it out of the first weekend of the tournament. Again he was fired for losing, his style of basketball didn’t change from the first half of his career when he made deep tourney runs. It only became a problem when the winning stopped, because again, winning is the most important thing.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The actual reason was in his last 5 seasons he only made the tournament 3 times and never made it out of the first weekend of the tournament. Again he was fired for losing, his style of basketball didn’t change from the first half of his career when he made deep tourney runs. It only became a problem when the winning stopped, because again, winning is the most important thing.
I said "a part" of the reason.

I think you're looking past multiple people saying that.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I said "a part" of the reason.

I think you're looking past multiple people saying that.
The post from homer that started all this said “records don’t matter” nothing to do with part like you mentioned. If a team is winning everything else is a non issue. Howland is no different, if his last 5 season he won more in the tourney he wouldn’t have been let go.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The post from homer that started all this said “records don’t matter” nothing to do with part like you mentioned. If a team is winning everything else is a non issue. Howland is no different, if his last 5 season he won more in the tourney he wouldn’t have been let go.
He said attendance and viewers matter to which I agree.
Iowa was so concerned with attendance under Ferentz that they wanted to do a "free tuition" raffle if students signed up for tickets.
(It was an illegal idea and had to stop)

So attendance does matter to ADs. Barta was never going to fire Kirk at that time.