In memoriam of Brian Ferentz as Iowa's OC

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
As an Iowa State fan, can't say much for mockery...IIRC correctly people were pretty stoked about Mangino.

Don't know much about BF other than some story on CF about him out at a bar or something once a few years ago, spouting off about how much he hates ISU.

My favorite part of ISU's offense last year was when it was 'boring', i.e. just getting what it needed instead of trying to into a track meet.

And I'd say Iowa's teams that could run the ball were far from predictable which is what makes it trickier to defend against. I may be thinking more of before Davis as I haven't watched Iowa a whole lot the last 3-4 years.

You sure you're not a Hok fan? Just checking, since you seem to have a boner for all things Iowa in every thread.

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
Brian has done some things with the running game the last couple years that Iowa wasn't doing before- more inside zone, tosses/sweeps, pulling centers, some misdirection, etc. There is no reason to believe he won't make similar tweaks to the passing game.

His success in improving the run game speaks for itself. Iowa has averaged 4.5 yards per carry both years he has held the run game coordinator title, which is better than every year since 2008 when Shonn Greene was the best RB in the country.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Brian has done some things with the running game the last couple years that Iowa wasn't doing before- more inside zone, tosses/sweeps, pulling centers, some misdirection, etc. There is no reason to believe he won't make similar tweaks to the passing game.

His success in improving the run game speaks for itself. Iowa has averaged 4.5 yards per carry both years he has held the run game coordinator title, which is better than every year since 2008 when Shonn Greene was the best RB in the country.
They don't play good teams. Like they just don't. They got exposed by a very average florida team.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Huge get for the Hawks, big things are coming to Iowa City. Hearing rumblings that it might be an Air Raid type system. Think of an improved, more up-tempo Texas Tech.
Lol, the air raid will never work against those stifling B1G defenses!

Have you heard about those defenses yet!??

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
They don't play good teams. Like they just don't. They got exposed by a very average florida team.

Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan were all very good teams, and even though they got pummeled by Florida they still ran the ball fairly effectively against them. I'm not sure what your point is.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
The only bad news here for ISU is Brian wears his little brother mentality on his sleeve so like his dad he'll put extra emphasis on beating ISU. Of course he's a terrible hire who would have been laughed at if he had a different last name, so I'm not sure it matters.

Maybe he'll be a good OC, but there's very little that points to that in his resume. Iowa fans will build him up in the offseason with optimism that only comes with knowing they have no other options. See this thread for the textbook examples.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
This. Legit LOL at any Iowa fan who thinks their offense will look any bit different than it ever has under KF. Just plz go.

Well, it looked different (and a helluva lot better) under KOK than it ever did under Davis. Is Iowa going to turn into Oregon under BF? No, of course not. But I do think he can do a much better job than Davis. For one thing, I think we'll see more crossing routes used for the receivers (that's how you can get slower receivers open, yet Davis practically abandoned them). And I'd certainly like to think BF will utilize the tight ends as more than just a check down option, given his time with New England's tight ends.

He doesn't have to make the offense elite. If this year's offense had even just been ranked in the 50's, they would have been a helluva lot better and probably win a couple more games.