Ticket Sales and Attendance

ken

Dec 28, 2008
Did they ever report a number of season tickets sold this year? I see attendance for SJSU was under 51K. I'd imagine there will be a few late season games well under the 50K mark.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Most likely the 50k streak will fall this year.

And yeah, no season ticket release that i know of. Cant imagine it was good. Combine the last couple years' results, with the fairly lackluster schedule this year (@ iowa, 2 home games in september, 3 games in november with one more on oct 29) so even for tailgating its a ****** schedule. I know of at least 4-5 tickets season that were dropped.

Reactions: Ry4Cy

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I think the heat had some impact yesterday. I forgot sunscreen and the left side of my face and neck is really bad. I will say attendance was really disappointing though.

• Friendly
Reactions: clonesalltheway

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
I think the heat had some impact yesterday. I forgot sunscreen and the left side of my face and neck is really bad. I will say attendance was really disappointing though.
The attendance overall at other schools including pros seem to be waning as fewer millenials care as much as the oldtimers. Like golf.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
Yeah, there was a lot of empty seats.

I upgraded my seats and they're awesome. On the east side, under the upper deck. We were in the shade and had a nice cool breeze all game. The view is pretty good as well. I'm not moving.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
The crowd looked pretty good on TV!

Compare our crowd to the crazy number of empty seats at TCU for our game, and even Baylor looked weak on attendance for the OSU game, a large area in the upper deck was almost empty.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
There were single game tickets available in most of the back third of most upper deck sections before this game. That is at least 5000. And we didn't resell very many in the visitors section. That is at least another 2000. And some of the seats not available as single game tickets for this game were taken in mini-packs. If you don't count them as season tickets, that would be another 1000 or so. Hillsides probably are counted as season tickets because they are good for all games.

Thus, based only on some very quick and dirty math, I would estimate that we sold a max of 42,000 season tickets.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The crowd looked pretty good on TV!

Compare our crowd to the crazy number of empty seats at TCU for our game, and even Baylor looked weak on attendance for the OSU game, a large area in the upper deck was almost empty.

The crowd largely stayed to the end too. I barely noticed the typical 4th Quarter streams of people flowing out. Kudos to the fans.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
The attendance overall at other schools including pros seem to be waning as fewer millenials care as much as the oldtimers. Like golf.

Don't want to blame youngster, but this is the reason why ISU's expansion was a head scratch for many of us. It certainly went against the trend.

Still, I said to my wife, while watching your game, "My gosh, look at how they support their team." So yes, it looked almost full on TV; at least the first part which we watched.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
There were single game tickets available in most of the back third of most upper deck sections before this game. That is at least 5000. And we didn't resell very many in the visitors section. That is at least another 2000. And some of the seats not available as single game tickets for this game were taken in mini-packs. If you don't count them as season tickets, that would be another 1000 or so. Hillsides probably are counted as season tickets because they are good for all games.

Thus, based only on some very quick and dirty math, I would estimate that we sold a max of 42,000 season tickets.

Mini-packs only included the games of Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and West Virginia.

I do think that flooding might have kept a few people at home. I would agree with you on your estimate of season tickets sold. But IMO, we probably sold at least 42,000 and maybe a max of 44,000 or so. At any rate, it was a decent crowd for a winless home team playing a no name opponent.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
I didn't show because ALL the public grass lots were closed and had no idea where to park or if I could park. I can't be the only season-ticket holder who chose to stay away because of the wet grounds from Thursday-Friday rains and flooding.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The lower level was pretty full including Hill Sides. The visitor section was empty outside of three rows of SJSU fans. Most of the upper levels had at least 1/3 seats empty near the tops. I guess that I like the hot weather games far more than the freezing games.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Don't want to blame youngster, but this is the reason why ISU's expansion was a head scratch for many of us. It certainly went against the trend.

Still, I said to my wife, while watching your game, "My gosh, look at how they support their team." So yes, it looked almost full on TV; at least the first part which we watched.

If you've ever been to the stadium, you'll see why the expansion was NOT a head scratcher. If attendance never increases, the stadium still looks more big time and it matters just as much if not more what the stadium looks like empty (when recruits visit) as it does on game day.

• Creative
Reactions: C.A.H.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Iowa State needed to expand the stadium. It really was a no brainer. Jack Trice really only had about 45,000 or so seats with the remaining spots on the 4 hillsides holding 10,000 fans. We now hold over 61,000 with the 2 remaining hillsides. And have about 56,000 or so seats.

When we get big attendance games we are selling out. And will continually get attendance of at least 50,000 or more. As the team improves, we will continue to get very good attendance. The parking lot situation with all the rain definitely impacted things. And combined with an 11 am kickoff and flooding going on, the attendance was impacted in a negative way.

Good win. The team is improving.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron