NFL: Jon Gruden is the best announcer

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
in the NFL. I love when he sits down with QB's and just talks to them. Then his announcing during games is great. He knows his stuff and calls people out. I hope he stays with announcing instead of going back to coaching.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I usually understand different opinions on things but how anybody can like Gruden is beyond me. All he does is verbally fellate each quarterback and say THIS GUY hundreds of times each night. He is the opposite of Chris Collinsworth who obviously watches a lot of tape, talks about players other than the QB's, and actually points out negative things. I have stopped watching MNF because of Gruden.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I usually understand different opinions on things but how anybody can like Gruden is beyond me. All he does is verbally fellate each quarterback and say THIS GUY hundreds of times each night. He is the opposite of Chris Collinsworth who obviously watches a lot of tape, talks about players other than the QB's, and actually points out negative things. I have stopped watching MNF because of Gruden.

This. (although I still do watch MNF) Gruden is little more than a cheerleader. His insight is mostly superficial. Give me Collinsworth any day over Gruden.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I like Gruden's 1 on 1 segments with players...those are great.

His "announcing" is pretty bad. He loves everyone and everyone is the greatest player in the league.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Anyone is better than Dierdorf (sp?). I turned his game on yesterday (why I don't know) and litterally had to turn the channel within 2mins.

Un-listen-able.

As for Gruden...everyone on the field is a Hall of Famer at the game he is calling.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
This. (although I still do watch MNF) Gruden is little more than a cheerleader. His insight is mostly superficial. Give me Collinsworth any day over Gruden.
All of the ESPN NFL analysts are really bad. Merrill Hodge, Jaworski, Dilfer, Keyshawn, the lesser Hasselbeck brother, Ditka, and Berman are all brutal.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Anyone is better than Dierdorf (sp?). I turned his game on yesterday (why I don't know) and litterally had to turn the channel within 2mins.

Un-listen-able.

As for Gruden...everyone on the field is a Hall of Famer at the game he is calling.
The worst was the Sunday Night Football announcing team when ESPN used to have that game. Mike Patrick and Joe Theismann were in the same booth.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I don't mind Gruden just because I hate Jaws, and I think Gruden doesn't care for him much either.
Best announcers hands down are the Sunday night NBC guys, Michaels and Collinsworth.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Collinsworth is the tool of all tools...but he does do a decent job.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Collinsworth is the tool of all tools...but he does do a decent job.

Agree. He's smug, and vain, but he does his research, knows his stuff, and is light years better than Gruden. Gruden should stick to... well, I was going to say coaching, but I'm not convinced he was ever very good at that, either.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I really like the trio on FOX of Kenny Albert, Daryl Johnston, and Tony Siragusa. Don't have a particular reason why, but they seem to do a good job every week.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I really like the trio on FOX of Kenny Albert, Daryl Johnston, and Tony Siragusa. Don't have a particular reason why, but they seem to do a good job every week.

They're not bad, but I absolutely hate it when they are referenced as "Kenny, Moose, and Goose."

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Craig-James.jpg

=

cris_collinsworth.jpg

Last edited:

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
The thing with Gruden is this. He could be a really good color guy. But he gets caught up in the THIS GUY and THAT GUY stuff. If he would calm down, and try to break down a game a little better he could be really good.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron