Your Best Johnny Orr Stories here.

Opiner

Nov 13, 2013
Few of my favorites...

Pete interviewing him after another win over Iowa. He asked him something about the Iowa fans during the game. Johnny referred to them as "a bunch of stupes".

He was talking about Ron Falenschek and how he'd try to block shots with a karate chop. Said he nearly put a couple guys in the hospital when he whiffed.

Coming home and telling his wife after his first practice at Iowa State..."honey, I think I've made a hell of big mistake".

If you want to see how much this man loved Iowa State, watch his resignation press conference. A Cyclone legend.

Do you have link? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Most long threads I usually just skim a lot of the posts or skip over completely if the poster is particularly annoying. But I have read every post here...awesome stories and brings back some fond memories of Johnny.

rich4cy

Apr 11, 2006
I posted earlier, but was on my phone and wanted to expand. I was adopted to a family in central Iowa in 1987. My parents were HUGE cyclone fans and it rubbed off on me. I have a different connection with Iowa State. Growing up it was believed that my biological father ( At least the man who signed my birth certificate) was an Iowa State player under Coach Orr. One day, during my Freshman year in 2006, I was bored in my dorm room and decided I would search for my biological parents. After an internet search I came across Johnny's phone number. He had just got done playing a round of golf in Panora. When I told him my name, he acted like he knew me which was very weird to me. (After talking to my Adoptive mother today about it, I found out she had spoken to Johnny about me in the early 90's) He told me the whole story of how my father ( who we thought was my father, turned out to be a player for a different sport at ISU) was recruited. He gave me all the information he knew. He could sense I was deflated and he told me to Not give up! and that he would do anything he could to help me figure it out. After doing some more research and talking to a few other players on the team back then. (2 hours later) I was on the phone with my biological mother and since have found my biological father. For those who don't have much exposure to adoptive kids, this meant the world to me. While my adoptive parents will forever be my parents, just knowing where you come from, why you are here is what every adopted kid wants to know. I have almost posted this story about 40 times, but wanted to protect those involved because there are many layers to the story. I deeply regret that I never called Johnny back to tell him I found them, but hindsight is 20/20. While Johnny was a hell of a coach, he was an even better man. For people who aren't as familiar with Johnny, his legacy goes BEYOND wins and losses, BEYOND Hilton magic the guy was an absolute STAND UP GUY and willing to help by any means. While he never coached me, Johnny Orr will forever be the coach who had the biggest impact on me.

ImperialCyclone

Sep 11, 2012
When I was a little one, I lived near Johnny and his wife Romy (and daughters) in Ames. Johnny and his wife would go on walks around the neighborhood and everyone greeted him with smiles. He would stop for everyone and tell a joke. This got the neighbors talking to each other and the neighborhood was strengthened simply by Johnny walking around the neighborhood. I haven't seen anything like it to this day.

When I was 5 years old, I would ride my trike in the snow (would do this for hours). Iowa State had just beaten Iowa (the infamous Lafester Rhodes game). I remember it being oddly warm (maybe it was the trike riding). Johnny and his wife went for a walk and I spotted them across our street. I did what any 5 year old did. I screamed "Hey Johnny, Fa-la-la-la-la-Lafester Rhodes". I am sure I learned this off of the older preschool kids creating a Cyclones edition of Deck the Halls. Johnny's wife laughed and so did Johnny. From across the street, he gives his patented fist pumps. I will cherish this memory. We lost a great one today.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I forgot about that.

University Official 1: "The students are rioting ... what are we going to do?"
University Official 2: "Call Johnny. He'll know what to do."

Not a joke ... this is sort of what happened. My recollection is that they really didn't know how to get the 'crowd/mob' to disperse so they called Orr (and Walden ... I think) and asked them to go and see if they could help. In hindsight, they should left Walden out of the mix.

My older brother was in that crowd.

He likes to tell his stories of ISU's own "Bartels and James".

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
So jealous of all of you that have personal memories with Johnny. I've read them all, and feel like I know him on a more personal level now. Cyclone Nation truly is a family.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
These are great guys. Really great.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Many of you were likely not around for the Sam Mack era. He was a tremendous talent, got in bad trouble and Johnny testified as a character witness for him in court. It was an armed robbery attempt of Burger King on Lincoln way with a couple of fball players. Mack claimed he was forced to do it and was acquitted. Mack later transfered to Arizona St. and then played many years in the NBA. Had that not happened ISU might have had a great team that next season. Any way, that's the kind of person Johnny was, he would stand up for you and fight for you if he believed in you. Tremendous human being.

Side note, I was at the video store "that's entertainment" right next to the burger king when the incident was occurring watching out the window. Wild night.

In high school, we used to go to that Burger King just to see the bullet holes in the wall outside.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
My older brother was in that crowd.

He likes to tell his stories of ISU's own "Bartels and James".

5657955_orig.jpg

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
One of my favorite stories (that I can repeat) is something that Johnny told me--and isn't generally known. He graduated high school in Taylorville, IL, but when he was younger, grew up a few miles away in Jacksonville. Indeed, one thing that he proudly told me about that town was, "MacMurray College is where I got my doctorate".

That was after he retired, and for all I know, later on Johnny got honorary PhD's from other schools. But whoo wee Coach, was that guy pleased at having that degree. :yes:

Love that man.

B.L.

Nov 28, 2006
I remember seeing him at Jessies Embers West one night leaned over to my wife said that's Johnny Orr over there looked right up from his meal and said how you doing coach! I remember watching one of the games on TV at Hilton and they made the mistake of pointing the camera in the huddle for a time out (big mistake) Johnny looks right at Elmer Robinson says " and God Damn it Elmer wake up!!!! RIP Johnny

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
In spite of the sad circumstances, this is my favorite thread right now. Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories and anecdotes. I never had the privilege of meeting him, but I could sit here for hours reading these and alternating between laughing and crying. I think today we're all being reminded of what a great guy and larger than life personality he was.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Anybody remember Johnny got Bobby Knight & Indiana to commit to a home-n-home series?

Think about it; Bobby Knight & his Indiana team played in Hilton. Thanks how much Knight admired Johnny.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I'm too young to remember Johnny's teams (my first memory of Cyclone Basketball was Fred's last year), but I grew up hearing stories about him from my Dad. My Dad grew up in Ames and was a huge Cyclone fan. He ended up moving to Waterloo/Cedar Falls in High School, where I grew up. If you grew up in Eastern Iowa, you know about how much coverage ISU gets so I grew up on stories of Johnny Orr. How we hired him from Michigan (which was a shocker), how he created something called "Hilton Magic", the LaFester game, the Cyclone greats in Stevens, Grayer, Hornacek, etc., the 1993 Mayoral election and subsequent snow blower accident right before the Kansas game (not exactly a Johnny Orr story, but happened here under his tenure) and even how he told **** Vitale off on National T.V. (complete with the colorful language).

My Dad always wanted me to be a Cyclone fan, which in Eastern Iowa is a hard thing to do. But his stories of Johnny Orr and Cyclone Basketball is what sold me on becoming a Cyclone. Losing Johnny sucks, but having those stories of Johnny has created a bond between me, my Dad, and the Cyclones, but having that bond will never go away.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
We had just shown up for a high school golf meet on the Lake Panorama course and Coach was heading toward the clubhouse after finishing his round. We were milling around out front by the practice green near the clubhouse. We were sort of in awe as he was approaching, not expecting to encounter a celebrity the likes of Coach coming off the course. He gave us all that Coach Orr smile and said "Hope you boys do a hell of a lot better keeping it in the ******* fairway than I did today!" Everybody cracked up and someone asked if he had any other pointers. He said something like "Yeah, but I don't think they'll send the drink cart around for you guys."

A few of us followed him inside the clubhouse where he held court with the employees for a bit telling jokes and going on about his poor round that day in usual salty language Coach Orr fashion. I reluctantly went out for the rules meeting and tee assignments, seriously considering hanging around the clubhouse listening to Coach instead.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron