Young's Hit

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Speaking of the 4th down stop (Great!!!}, clip afficionados, could we also get a clip of the Young Targeting play?

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
the WR shouldn’t have ducked his head down into young prior to getting hit. Had he not ducked, young’s hit would’ve been fine

I had this question during the game, I didn’t think you could call targeting when hitting a ball carrier,RB or WR after a catch, because of this very issue how they lower their own heads often

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I had this question during the game, I didn’t think you could call targeting when hitting a ball carrier,RB or WR after a catch, because of this very issue how they lower their own heads often
The rule has nothing to do with if the offensive player lowers his head or not. It was a target and is something that Young should correct.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
The main problem is inconsistency. You watch from game to game, it is extremely subjective and interpreted differently. You see a player launch, hit helmet to helmet, not targeting. Then you see Young turn his head to avoid the "crown" of the helmet, but that's targeting. They either need to define it in greater detail, or teach the refs to strictly follow the current language.

So many of these calls happen because the offensive player lowers his head and actually causes the helmet to helmet. But they punish the defender anyway.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The rule has nothing to do with if the offensive player lowers his head or not. It was a target and is something that Young should correct.
If the offensive guy is considered a runner at the point of contact, lowers their head that initiated the contact, they can be thrown for targeting. Doesn’t happen often but remember it happening twice last year in games I watched.

Reactions: isutrevman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron