Why is our passing game hot garbage?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yep.... you're right..... there's nothing ISU could do to take advantage of OSU's aggressive defense because we just don't have the talent or the speed..... so teams should just copy what OSU did to us and we'll never win another game again...... got it.

Well if the other teams had the talent that OSU has your overreaction might work.

Do you think ISU has the speed to do these things consistently?

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Well if the other teams had the talent that OSU has your overreaction might work.

Do you think ISU has the speed to do these things consistently?

You don't need speed to burn a blitz. Some very simple play calls can do it just fine, and many don't even involve getting your OL downfield at all.

If we can't beat teams that bring pressure on us all game.... then we're doomed.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Is this the thread where random people with no experience talk about how they would engineer an offense to beat a top 10 pass defense without fail?
I did it in a video game, which is a simulation of real life, so yeah.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Sucks that OSU had 9 guys within 5 yards of the line we couldnt do anything. It looked like the Texas game 2 years ago where we were terrible also. Press coverage and blitzing all game.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You don't need speed to burn a blitz. Some very simple play calls can do it just fine, and many don't even involve getting your OL downfield at all.

If we can't beat teams that bring pressure on us all game.... then we're doomed.

Doomed?

Ok so who was going to be able to beat the blitz yesterday against a unit that's not TCU or Tech?

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
Is this the thread where random people with no experience talk about how they would engineer an offense to beat a top 10 pass defense without fail?
Yes, you described our role exactly.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
We should have. Our defense was lights out.... and if Breece doesn't break two really great runs we get our doors blown off.

Louisiana had 3 big plays against us basically and that was it. Today we broke two great runs and that was basically all we did offensively. Two lapses on defense by OSU.

185 rush yards with 135 coming from 2 runs. They count obviously, but to say we were consistent running the ball may be a stretch?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Definitely not all of them, though. He was pretty rough vertically even when not pressured... it just wasn't his best day. That alone isn't the end of the world, but his supporting cast caused him plenty of other issues as well.

2 of his 5 games this year have been clunkers. 1 against what should have been a schedule padding W and the other against a team that would prove we're a next level program. Brock can't/shouldn't wear all the blame since there's plenty of that going around on the O up to and including coaching staff - but he is the starting QB of what some think to be a major power conference football program and he's expected to be better far more often than not.

CMC says our best players should play the best during the biggest moments and we didn't see any of that for the 2nd time in this short season.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'd say 100% yes. I really want to offer up names we should try out at WR but I don't even know who goes out there other than Hutch because they add so little to the team. Nobody is ever open, nobody can make catches in traffic, nobody can ball track well. I see they're all tall dudes but they haven't shown that they have anything to go with that.

CMC is in love with prototypical size for a position - wonder if he over-weights those measurable against the intangibles and "want to" to get open, fight for the ball and make contested catches.

Glad my livelihood isn't tied to judging kids.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
3rd and 6 "grounding play" where the game completely turned.

Pre-snap (OSU showing that they are bringing 7 guys).....

1603649423994.png

They do bring all 7.... but all 4 of our receiving targets are running longish routes that take forever to develop. By the time Purdy needs to get rid of it, all the receivers aren't even close to finishing their routes yet......

1603649746033.png

I don't know enough to say for sure (maybe someone else does?), but I have to think this might be on Purdy when he comes to the line of scrimmage and sees how OSU looks to be bringing the house that he can check the play down to something else quicker hitting?

Either that, or there needs to be a "hot read" that automatically happens between the QB and one of the receivers where if they bring everyone that it's an automatic thing where one of the receivers cuts their route off and runs a quick slant over the middle where Purdy can dump it off to them??

But something has to occur pre-snap to avoid this from happening. You can't have all your targets running long developing routes, and Purdy sitting like a dead man in the pocket while OSU is bringing 7 (blitzing at least 3). And OSU didn't even disguise what they were doing. Everyone could see they were bringing everyone.

This is simple stuff that just cannot happen. Ultimately it's on CMC and Manning to have "hot reads" designed, or to allow Purdy to check to something different. This play had ZERO chance before the ball was even snapped.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Agree. People calling for Tom Manning’s job are ridiculous. He’s not going anywhere. Let’s look at the body of work and stop being so reactionary

CMC wants the players to be the best versions of themselves as possible, we should expect the same from the coaches. If our ceiling is limited by coaches, bring in better coaches. If our ceiling is limited by the players, recruit better players. Otherwise we're a 7 win program with the occasional 5 win and 9 win seasons. Not bad from where we came from but is it what we want?

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
CMC wants the players to be the best versions of themselves as possible, we should expect the same from the coaches. If our ceiling is limited by coaches, bring in better coaches. If our ceiling is limited by the players, recruit better players. Otherwise we're a 7 win program with the occasional 5 win and 9 win seasons. Not bad from where we came from but is it what we want?

Agree..... although I'd say we're more like a 5-7 win team with the occasional 8 wins or 3-4 wins.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

We'd like to see you broach this topic at the next call-in show.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
My recollection of the grounding play was that the play call was probably perfect against that pressure, assuming they were trying to clear the field and dump to Breece, but Breece couldn't release upfield soon enough for Brock to beat the pressure. Even though that play was a huge turning point, it gave me hope at the time that Manning had a plan to beat that pressure, if we could execute as the game went on. Problem is, it didn't seem like we ran much more of that later in the game.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Milton is not coming back this season. Hutchinson is good but not elite. We don’t have any other good receivers at this time. Maybe something will click with Shaw, Akers, or Scates but it hasn’t at this point so I would get used to hoping we’re not playing from behind as we’re not built to make up deficits. Doesn’t mean we can’t go 4-1 from here and make the big 12 title.

Which is why Kene needs more touches and more intentional usage in the offense here on out. Outside of kickoff return, he had what, 1 or 2 carries? Need his speed and wiggle somewhere in a short passing game.

Reactions: clonedude

Help Support Us

Become a patron