Why is our passing game hot garbage?

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
I am surprised how Shaw is not more involved in the passing game this year. He's basically in the same build as Lazzard and Butler and after last season I thought this might be his breakout year. Really missing Milton right now too, he usually is good for a few down field shots a game with his speed. We definitely have relied on the TE trio a lot which is not a bad thing if you can mix it up with some big plays down the sidelines with your WR too and that seemed to be missing today.

I am thrilled with the production we are getting out of the running game with Hall right now and you would think that would give us some better looks to take some shots in the passing game with the defense having to zero in on him in some situations.
If you take out Hall’s 2 runs (70 and 60-ish) he had about 55 yards on 18 carries. Couple that with the anemic passing game and the offense was bad.

The difference between this game and Louisiana was we didn’t give up cheap scores and the defense kept it close.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I am surprised how Shaw is not more involved in the passing game this year. He's basically in the same build as Lazzard and Butler and after last season I thought this might be his breakout year. Really missing Milton right now too, he usually is good for a few down field shots a game with his speed. We definitely have relied on the TE trio a lot which is not a bad thing if you can mix it up with some big plays down the sidelines with your WR too and that seemed to be missing today.

I am thrilled with the production we are getting out of the running game with Hall right now and you would think that would give us some better looks to take some shots in the passing game with the defense having to zero in on him in some situations.

Shaw is 6'6" and can leap.... you can't tell me we can't throw some deep ones up for him like we did to Lazard and Butler.

I was so glad we finally threw one deep ball today.... and I didn't even care it was intercepted either.... even the annoucers said it was still a good call because it was no different than a punt and it would help loosen up the D.... so of course that was the ONLY time we did it all game, and we'll probably never see it again because it gave Purdy an INT in his stat sheet.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Media loves to tell the story about the coaching staff deciding to put the best 11 on defense and designing a system to fit their skills.

Same meeting needs to occur on offense. Kene needs to be on the field much, much more. Put him in the slot, install a jet sweep threat and some screen packages. Put him in the backfield with Breece and get some misdirection going. And Purdy needs to run more. I don’t get why we don’t use this more. It was effective for OSU today.

^this times a million!

We have never tried anything different. We never mix it up. It's horrible to watch. Iowa's offense looks creative and dynamic compared to ours.... that's how bad it has gotten.

You target ONE WR all day basically..... that's it? That's insanity.

Manning doesn't have a creative bone in his body.

Reactions: SCarolinaCy

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
You cannot be good on offense without at least an above average OL.... and we haven't had one since CMC has been here.... or before him for that matter.

We've always had fairly decent skill guys..... but an OL that can't block for s**t.... and until that's fixed we can't expect much from that side of the ball.

As CW said after the game.... we really didn't run the ball well either today outside of two runs.

Yeah Campbell has been here 4 years now and Manning started as an offensive line coach (and the current one was one of Campbell's former players who could probably qualify as a "buddy"). I know there are injuries and the Oline had played somewhat well earlier, but these are Campbell's players so if the Oline is inadequate it's on his recruiting and/or development.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
If you take out Hall’s 2 runs (70 and 60-ish) he had about 55 yards on 18 carries. Couple that with the anemic passing game and the offense was bad.

The difference between this game and Louisiana was we didn’t give up cheap scores and the defense kept it close.
You really cannot think like that, Hall was not the problem today, it all comes back to coaching. You could tell early in the game that OSU was planning on taking Hall away, they had the D line and LB's sprinting to him on every plan and he still broke 2 long runs and ended up with 185 yards. It was all on the coaches and Purdy, line also sucked but we did nothing to play against their defense.
Kick the ball wide, use play action to suck up the LB's or RPO's and have Purdy keep the ball around the corner, it was there all day long.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I'm just really starting to think the 3 TE set handcuffs us in obvious passing downs. It limits our speed vertically in a big way. Spread out 3 or 4 WR wide. This team really really lacks a Deshaunte Jones right now. For what it's worth Tarique Milton fills that void a lot but he's hurt.

Daniel Jackson has earned the right for more PT but isn't getting it and that is a head scratcher. Having Allen and Soehner plod down the field trying to get open is killing me. I'd rather see Scates, Jackson, or Wilson try to do that.

Old87

Sep 30, 2012
How much do we miss Alex Golesh? Recruiting and coaching. He always seemed to bring energy to the sidelines during a game.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It's not like we're a bad football team.... not at all.... but I just think we all know that we could possibly be special with a smarter and more creative offense and some better special teams..... that's all.

Numerous posts by people in just the last half hour on here have had better suggestions for this offense than what we've seen in the last 4 years under Manning. It's just frustrating to watch. And CMC constantly says we don't need to change anything with X's and O's.... just have to be more consistent and detailed, etc, etc. NO.... that's not true CMC.... things need to change in the X's and O's.

We all knew going in that OSU was going to blitz all day like crazy.... and you had Purdy drop back all day and sit in the pocket and get destroyed. That's not details.... it's stupid playcalling and scheming.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I think Campbell realizes our best chance at winning is playing smash mouth football with 3 TE sets. Its been a good strategy up until today; we just ran into a really good defense.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
You really cannot think like that, Hall was not the problem today, it all comes back to coaching. You could tell early in the game that OSU was planning on taking Hall away, they had the D line and LB's sprinting to him on every plan and he still broke 2 long runs and ended up with 185 yards. It was all on the coaches and Purdy, line also sucked but we did nothing to play against their defense.
Kick the ball wide, use play action to suck up the LB's or RPO's and have Purdy keep the ball around the corner, it was there all day long.

No one is saying Hall was the problem. What we're saying is taking out Hall's long runs which were likely flukes/aberrations (especially the second one) the offense was absolutely abysmal. Hall is like Montgomery, making plays in spite of the problems (scheme and/or lack of talent) around him.

baller1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
WDM
Milton is not coming back this season. Hutchinson is good but not elite. We don’t have any other good receivers at this time. Maybe something will click with Shaw, Akers, or Scates but it hasn’t at this point so I would get used to hoping we’re not playing from behind as we’re not built to make up deficits. Doesn’t mean we can’t go 4-1 from here and make the big 12 title.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm just really starting to think the 3 TE set handcuffs us in obvious passing downs. It limits our speed vertically in a big way. Spread out 3 or 4 WR wide. This team really really lacks a Deshaunte Jones right now. For what it's worth Tarique Milton fills that void a lot but he's hurt.

Daniel Jackson has earned the right for more PT but isn't getting it and that is a head scratcher. Having Allen and Soehner plod down the field trying to get open is killing me. I'd rather see Scates, Jackson, or Wilson try to do that.

I liked what I saw from Wilson last year and was thinking he'd have a bit more of a boost this year.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
No one is saying Hall was the problem. What we're saying is taking out Hall's long runs which were likely flukes/aberrations (especially the second one) the offense was absolutely abysmal. Hall is like Montgomery, making plays in spite of the problems (scheme and/or lack of talent) around him.
“Take away our good plays and we sucked” is among the dumbest arguments fans make.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Adding salt in the wound is the fact that their WR #2 (the one going at it all day with our #26) made the big play to grab the ball on the onside kick at the end.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Adding salt in the wound is the fact that their WR #2 (the one going at it all day with our #26) made the big play to grab the ball on the onside kick at the end.
Wallace, he's a stud. Him and Johnson jawing back and forth made me laugh; DB's are a different personality, lol

Reactions: aobie and madguy30

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
“Take away our good plays and we sucked” is among the dumbest arguments fans make.

It isn't when our 4 good plays were Breece making things happen (2x), a Kolar jump ball and a Hutchinson scramble TD. If this offense generated a bunch of chunk plays I'd agree with you, but fluke and lucky plays don't mean our offense functioned well.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Anthony Johnson and Tayvon Kyle were solid today, happy with how they played. D is starting to get more turnovers as well.

Reactions: aobie

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Wow people need to calm down we just played a really good team who is #6 in the country and you would think we got blown out today. If it wasn't for a couple miss field goals we win this game today or at least take it to overtime.

We played really bad, and still almost won which I guess is a positive. With that being said, there’s a lot of concerns around the offense and it starts with the coordinator and then the wide receivers

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

Help Support Us

Become a patron