Why is our passing game hot garbage?

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
10 times out of 10 you would take holding OSU to scoring only 24 pts on you. You just can't expect much more than that out of any defense in the country against their offense. Sanders is really really good..... and fast!

If we played them 10 times, we probably never hold them under 24.

The offense and special teams lost the game..... period. Mostly the offense though. The OL was as bad as it could be..... and Manning isn't bright enough to scheme around that evidentally. And how is it that our WRs and TEs can never get open either?? That's been an issue all year.
Lack of talent and speed at WR. Scates has talent and speed but seemingly can't get on the field for other reasons.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Kansas is a W next week. I also think we should and emphasize should beat Baylor and WVA and K-state. I'm not going to overreact over this one and get down much. I have a few thoughts:

• The 3 TE set: I am starting to have a hate/hate relationship with this formation. Pro's- it opens up our run game, helps with blocking. Cons - would we be better served speed wise going 4 WR out on long pass situations? I'm confiden we would, as Wilson, Scates, and Hutchinson have proven they have speed. Having Soehner and Allen plod down the field on 2nd and 3rd and long makes me want to get sick, they're not the best at getting open. Players, formations, plays. The 3 TE set handcuffs our speed and downfield threat, it just does.
  • WR Room: all jobs outside of Hutchinson should be open try outs for playing time in the next two weeks. Outside of Hutchinson there has been zero juice from this position group. I understand we need Milton back but come on, let's try more Scates / Daniel Jackson / Wilson. Shaw looks like he has no edge out there, same with Akers. Can Darien Porter catch? I want to see more creativity against Kansas

Also, q for others on the board. Should we go get a juco WR or two? I think that's a serious need at this point.
I'd say 100% yes. I really want to offer up names we should try out at WR but I don't even know who goes out there other than Hutch because they add so little to the team. Nobody is ever open, nobody can make catches in traffic, nobody can ball track well. I see they're all tall dudes but they haven't shown that they have anything to go with that.

Reactions: cyclone1209

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Scates to me is at an impasse. He's either going to get it right, play with more detail and start to produce. Or, and I hope i'm wrong, not produce much at all and transfer.

• Agree
Reactions: burn587

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
We should have. Our defense was lights out.... and if Breece doesn't break two really great runs we get our doors blown off.

Louisiana had 3 big plays against us basically and that was it. Today we broke two great runs and that was basically all we did offensively. Two lapses on defense by OSU.

OSU was gambling on almost every play. Lots of blitzes with man coverage. so they were going to stuff the run game and get pressure on Purdy unless they happened to guess wrong, which they did on a handful of plays. Unfortunately on a couple of those plays the guys didn't make the plays.

As for the WRs, Milton is pretty much all ISU has for speed guys. Jackson is a guy that might fit the bill, but he is hurt too. The other guys are tall guys that are struggling getting open. I thought that the TEs got held several times today, especially when ISU tried to go over the top to them.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
10 times out of 10 you would take holding OSU to scoring only 24 pts on you. You just can't expect much more than that out of any defense in the country against their offense. Sanders is really really good..... and fast!

If we played them 10 times, we probably never hold them under 24.

The offense and special teams lost the game..... period. Mostly the offense though. The OL was as bad as it could be..... and Manning isn't bright enough to scheme around that evidentally. And how is it that our WRs and TEs can never get open either?? That's been an issue all year.

I'm saying they generally did the job, but I can't label them 'lights out'.

More pressure was needed today to make Sanders at least have to 2nd guess some situations.

Per the TEs/WR, imo the secondary has to have to fully respect the run. The passing seemed a little easier vs. Tech and TCU and even OU once Hall made it a real consistent issue.

OSU's front made a mess out of things today and the secondary could just focus on their job vs. what I think is a pretty average receiving corps overall.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Lack of talent and speed at WR. Scates has talent and speed but seemingly can't get on the field for other reasons.

I think Scates and Shaw are both really talented WRs.... but aren't doing much for "other reasons".

Weren't they both like 4 star WRs that we landed because nobody else really offered for "some reason"? I'm pretty sure that's the case.

I know Porter is still really thin.... but I wouldn't mind seeing someone with his speed out there. The problem with only recruiting 6'4" or taller guys is you don't have any Milton type guys with great quickness and speed.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Feast or famine with a 3TE set. When Hall is on the field the only WR is Hutchinson in that formation. Would like to see a breakdown of plays and # of plays with 3TE.

Clones literally used the same play sheet from Tech game. It wasn’t working and Campbell didn’t adjust. At some point against aggressive man defense you have to make them pay.

Not sure about that in the passing game. We had a lot of receivers on the field against TT, at least by our standards. We did a lot of motion with Akers and used short passes. We did none of that today.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
Because Campbell hires his buddies, and Manning is a trash OC who has basically pilfered 1M+ from ISU. You telling me we can't hire some creative dude from a lower level who can get more out of the best QB in school history (who has regressed), an NFL RB, and best TE in school history? Almost every loss in the Campbell era can be traced back to the offense not scoring enough. There has been a lot of talent on that side of the ball during that time (more NFL talent than on defense).

We as a fanbase don't talk enough about how we aren't maximizing the time we have with Purdy. Depending on what happens next year the best season we're going to have with the best QB in school history (and good/great defenses) is 8 wins? Unacceptable.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I think Scates and Shaw are both really talented WRs.... but aren't doing much for "other reasons".

Weren't they both like 4 star WRs that we landed because nobody else really offered for "some reason"? I'm pretty sure that's the case.

I know Porter is still really thin.... but I wouldn't mind seeing someone with his speed out there. The problem with only recruiting 6'4" or taller guys is you don't have any Milton type guys with great quickness and speed.
Scates was a 4 star with a monster offer list, but most backed off as he was considered an academic risk. Everything I have read about him is that he is a really good student and getting good grades. Just hope it clicks for him on the field soon.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Looking at the roster, we don't have much for WRs to replace the Milton type slot position.

I was hoping when we recruited Leonard Glass that he would be that guy, but he never even made it to Ames I don't think?

What kind of player is Blaze Doxzon? He's listed at RB, but if he has the moves like his father did, maybe he could play some slot? I'm grasping for straws.... I know.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I am surprised how Shaw is not more involved in the passing game this year. He's basically in the same build as Lazzard and Butler and after last season I thought this might be his breakout year. Really missing Milton right now too, he usually is good for a few down field shots a game with his speed. We definitely have relied on the TE trio a lot which is not a bad thing if you can mix it up with some big plays down the sidelines with your WR too and that seemed to be missing today.

I am thrilled with the production we are getting out of the running game with Hall right now and you would think that would give us some better looks to take some shots in the passing game with the defense having to zero in on him in some situations.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Because Campbell hires his buddies, and Manning is a trash OC who has basically pilfered 1M+ from ISU. You telling me we can't hire some creative dude from a lower level who can get more out of the best QB in school history (who has regressed), an NFL RB, and best TE in school history? Almost every loss in the Campbell era can be traced back to the offense not scoring enough. There has been a lot of talent on that side of the ball during that time (more NFL talent than on defense).

We as a fanbase don't talk enough about how we aren't maximizing the time we have with Purdy. Depending on what happens next year the best season we're going to have with the best QB in school history (and good/great defenses) is 8 wins? Unacceptable.

You cannot be good on offense without at least an above average OL.... and we haven't had one since CMC has been here.... or before him for that matter.

We've always had fairly decent skill guys..... but an OL that can't block for s**t.... and until that's fixed we can't expect much from that side of the ball.

As CW said after the game.... we really didn't run the ball well either today outside of two runs.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
At this point, with Miltons availability being up in the air, need Kene much more involved, dude is SR, got speed and power, needs touches

I was thinking about this too, maybe some 2 RB formations and hit him on a quick route out the backfield or put in in motion for a sweep or catch a mismatch with a LB and put him in motion on a deep route. He looks healthy as he ever has been and I don't blame the staff for wanting to use hall as the workhorse RB right now but seems like we could find some formations and plays to use Kene even as a decoy given how he has big play speed.

• Winner
Reactions: clonedude

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Looking at the roster, we don't have much for WRs to replace the Milton type slot position.

I was hoping when we recruited Leonard Glass that he would be that guy, but he never even made it to Ames I don't think?

What kind of player is Blaze Doxzon? He's listed at RB, but if he has the moves like his father did, maybe he could play some slot? I'm grasping for straws.... I know.

I think Daniel Jackson is that type, but we didn't see him at all today. Too busy putting three TEs out on the field while our QB gets killed with pressure.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Media loves to tell the story about the coaching staff deciding to put the best 11 on defense and designing a system to fit their skills.

Same meeting needs to occur on offense. Kene needs to be on the field much, much more. Put him in the slot, install a jet sweep threat and some screen packages. Put him in the backfield with Breece and get some misdirection going. And Purdy needs to run more. I don’t get why we don’t use this more. It was effective for OSU today.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron