Why is our passing game hot garbage?

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Outside of Hutchinson, our wide receivers are no threat at all since Milton is out. Very disappointing Scates and Shaw haven't stepped up. We needed them to progress this year and we've gotten almost nothing from them outside of one long Scates catch against TCU.

We just have to move the ball differently than in the last 2 years. We've got a stud running back and a pretty good run blocking line and lost a lot of WR talent. It is what it is. We just don't have the WR to throw the ball all over the field like we have in the past. Even Hutchinson is primarily a possession receiver which leaves us with zero deep threat.

It's not the end of the world since we have a really good defense to support the strong running game. The good news is teams don't fear our passing game, are determined to shut down Hall, and still haven't been able to do it. That's a GREAT sign for the future of the o-line and running game. Just need to get Milton back (whether that's this year or next) and a couple other WR to step up. Hutchinson is only a sophomore too.
STOP THIS> for the future

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If this were true we would have lost this game a lot worse than we did.

We should have. Our defense was lights out.... and if Breece doesn't break two really great runs we get our doors blown off.

Louisiana had 3 big plays against us basically and that was it. Today we broke two great runs and that was basically all we did offensively. Two lapses on defense by OSU.

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
Feast or famine with a 3TE set. When Hall is on the field the only WR is Hutchinson in that formation. Would like to see a breakdown of plays and # of plays with 3TE.

Clones literally used the same play sheet from Tech game. It wasn’t working and Campbell didn’t adjust. At some point against aggressive man defense you have to make them pay.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Nailed it!

We have no OL right now.... an OC that has no idea how to coach around that or beat a blitz.... and a QB that is very average as well. In addition, nobody can get open and the routes are horrible. Beyond that, our passing game is great.

Gotta love the blasting of Purdy. Kid had a freshman year that by other people accounts, he was the second coming of TD Jesus. But we have an OC wo is trying to mold everyone into his style, as opposed to building an offense around what you have. Purdy is a very good mobile QB, he's not a drop back passer, that's what our OC is trying to make him though. Look back at all of BP's best games, they weren't pocket passing games.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Gotta love the blasting of Purdy. Kid had a freshman year that by other people accounts, he was the second coming of TD Jesus. But we have an OC wo is trying to mold everyone into his style, as opposed to building an offense around what you have. Purdy is a very good mobile QB, he's not a drop back passer, that's what our OC is trying to make him though. Look back at all of BP's best games, they weren't pocket passing games.

Agree for the most part. Nothing wrong trying to coach him to be a pocket QB, but he should be more mobile then he has been this year so far and last year. Additionally, I feel that Purdy doesn’t have the same swagger as he did his freshmen year.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
He was under pressure on a lot of those throws.
Definitely not all of them, though. He was pretty rough vertically even when not pressured... it just wasn't his best day. That alone isn't the end of the world, but his supporting cast caused him plenty of other issues as well.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Our passing game is far from hot garbage. Oklahoma State's passing defense is very good.

Prior to this game Purdy and the passing offense rolled off three consecutive excellent games.
This. Our offense was bad today simply because OSU's defense was dominant. Give credit where credit is due.

Cycl0nepower

Apr 4, 2020
Ohio
Outside of Hutchinson, our wide receivers are no threat at all since Milton is out. Very disappointing Scates and Shaw haven't stepped up. We needed them to progress this year and we've gotten almost nothing from them outside of one long Scates catch against TCU.

We just have to move the ball differently than in the last 2 years. We've got a stud running back and a pretty good run blocking line and lost a lot of WR talent. It is what it is. We just don't have the WR to throw the ball all over the field like we have in the past. Even Hutchinson is primarily a possession receiver which leaves us with zero deep threat.

It's not the end of the world since we have a really good defense to support the strong running game. The good news is teams don't fear our passing game, are determined to shut down Hall, and still haven't been able to do it. That's a GREAT sign for the future of the o-line and running game. Just need to get Milton back (whether that's this year or next) and a couple other WR to step up. Hutchinson is only a sophomore too.
Sadly Hutchinson is a junior, I miss Butler and Lazard so much.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We should have. Our defense was lights out.... and if Breece doesn't break two really great runs we get our doors blown off.

Louisiana had 3 big plays against us basically and that was it. Today we broke two great runs and that was basically all we did offensively. Two lapses on defense by OSU.

Lights out? They gave up a couple of like 4 play 70 yard scoring drives.

I mean they played well enough to win and put the offense in position, but holy cow OSU scored quickly when ISU needed to slow them down.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Definitely not all of them, though. He was pretty rough vertically even when not pressured... it just wasn't his best day. That alone isn't the end of the world, but his supporting cast caused him plenty of other issues as well.

I think with so many times of having defenders flying at him he was still uncomfortable when given time.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Not good against man to man defense. Offensive schemes seem setup for zone defenses. Need to work on rubs and picks to get receivers open.

Last edited:

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Because we have 0.5 good WRs on our team. When you only have 1 TE to throw to that limits what you can do by a lot
Kansas is a W next week. I also think we should and emphasize should beat Baylor and WVA and K-state. I'm not going to overreact over this one and get down much. I have a few thoughts:

• The 3 TE set: I am starting to have a hate/hate relationship with this formation. Pro's- it opens up our run game, helps with blocking. Cons - would we be better served speed wise going 4 WR out on long pass situations? I'm confiden we would, as Wilson, Scates, and Hutchinson have proven they have speed. Having Soehner and Allen plod down the field on 2nd and 3rd and long makes me want to get sick, they're not the best at getting open. Players, formations, plays. The 3 TE set handcuffs our speed and downfield threat, it just does.
  • WR Room: all jobs outside of Hutchinson should be open try outs for playing time in the next two weeks. Outside of Hutchinson there has been zero juice from this position group. I understand we need Milton back but come on, let's try more Scates / Daniel Jackson / Wilson. Shaw looks like he has no edge out there, same with Akers. Can Darien Porter catch? I want to see more creativity against Kansas

Also, q for others on the board. Should we go get a juco WR or two? I think that's a serious need at this point.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Lights out? They gave up a couple of like 4 play 70 yard scoring drives.

I mean they played well enough to win and put the offense in position, but holy cow OSU scored quickly when ISU needed to slow them down.

10 times out of 10 you would take holding OSU to scoring only 24 pts on you. You just can't expect much more than that out of any defense in the country against their offense. Sanders is really really good..... and fast!

If we played them 10 times, we probably never hold them under 24.

The offense and special teams lost the game..... period. Mostly the offense though. The OL was as bad as it could be..... and Manning isn't bright enough to scheme around that evidentally. And how is it that our WRs and TEs can never get open either?? That's been an issue all year.

• Winner
Reactions: BigCyFan and Snydes