What to do with Coach Prohm Poll..

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

What should Pollard do with Prohm?

• Keep Prohm as coach and let him finish his contract

• Fire Prohm as head coach immediately and pay buyout

• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
A lot of Pollard bashing here. Is he perfect? No. But is anyone? Texas football has had three coaches in six years. Finding the right coach is not an easy job.

JP has done so much for ISU athletics besides hiring coaches. I'd have a hard time trading him for any other AD in the country.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
He's implying either they're getting racked by COVID or a significant share of the roster, likely its most important contributors, quit the team. We'll see if he gives anything more than such innuendo.
This is the rumor- the second part. I am not one of those in the know guys so I guess we will find out.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
This is the rumor- the second part. I am not one of those in the know guys so I guess we will find out.
I'll play along, even though I doubt there's much truth here. Maybe JC-L or Solo, having graduated, have decided to be done with basketball. While unfortunate, I think that would be best case scenario (assuming anyone is leaving).

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I'll play along, even though I doubt there's much truth here. Maybe JC-L or Solo, having graduated, have decided to be done with basketball. While unfortunate, I think that would be best case scenario (assuming anyone is leaving).
That sounds plausible especially if they are going to be sidelined due to covid for awhile. You then have to get back in shape for only a few more games and might not be worth it to them.

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
A lot of Pollard bashing here. Is he perfect? No. But is anyone? Texas football has had three coaches in six years. Finding the right coach is not an easy job.

JP has done so much for ISU athletics besides hiring coaches. I'd have a hard time trading him for any other AD in the country.
I don't think anyone is saying get rid of Pollard. It just gets nauseating all the constant praise for Baby J from a large part of the fan base (that he can do no wrong). He has done some really good things and also made some very poor decisions. Prohm is one of his very poor decisions.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Plus Pollard is the genius to also extend Prohm after a mediocre season thus leaving us in this problematic situation.

A 23-win season with a Big 12 tournament championship and #6 seed in the Big Dance is a mediocre season? Yes, I know it sucks to be upset in the first round of the tournament, and only finishing .500 in the conference regular season with that kind of late season tailspin sucked, but by historical Iowa State basketball standards that was a very solid to good season.

Anyway, as I've stated before, for as much as I've been a Prohm defender previously it is time to move on and find a new head coach for this program. If this new rumor about the season coming to an unexpectedly early end is true, it might end up being for the best, as much as I hate to write that.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
A 23-win season with a Big 12 tournament championship and #6 seed in the Big Dance is a mediocre season? Yes, I know it sucks to be upset in the first round of the tournament, and only finishing .500 in the conference regular season with that kind of late season tailspin sucked, but by historical Iowa State basketball standards that was a very solid to good season.

Anyway, as I've stated before, for as much as I've been a Prohm defender previously it is time to move on and find a new head coach for this program. If this new rumor about the season coming to an unexpectedly early end is true, it might end up being for the best, as much as I hate to write that.

I don't think that was an awful season but it was certainly not enough to warrant the kind of extension he got. I think the really frustrating thing was, we saw JP do the exact same thing with CPR. FWIW, I love Jamie and wouldn't want to trade him for anyone, that was just a really premature decision that has us facing a total rebuild. Looking back, even with the successes we had that season, the writing was on the wall from a program culture standpoint. I didn't expect us to fall off of a cliff but there were plenty of red flags.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
This scenario is interesting. Hmmmmm.

According to The Deseret News, GaryAndersen, who was fired by Utah State back in November, “refused to be paid the balance of his contract.” He reportedly told the school it “wasn’t his style” to be paid not to coach. He was owed $2.7 million — a $900,000 salary with three years remaining on his deal.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

According to The Desert News, GaryAndersen, who was fired by Utah State back in November, “refused to be paid the balance of his contract.” He reportedly told the school it “wasn’t his style” to be paid not to coach. He was owed $2.7 million — a $900,000 salary with three years remaining on his deal.

We shouldn't expect a coach not to expect us to follow the terms of their contract.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

According to The Deseret News, GaryAndersen, who was fired by Utah State back in November, “refused to be paid the balance of his contract.” He reportedly told the school it “wasn’t his style” to be paid not to coach. He was owed $2.7 million — a $900,000 salary with three years remaining on his deal.
Does Steve have that kind of integrity?

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I don't think that was an awful season but it was certainly not enough to warrant the kind of extension he got. I think the really frustrating thing was, we saw JP do the exact same thing with CPR. FWIW, I love Jamie and wouldn't want to trade him for anyone, that was just a really premature decision that has us facing a total rebuild. Looking back, even with the successes we had that season, the writing was on the wall from a program culture standpoint. I didn't expect us to fall off of a cliff but there were plenty of red flags.

Objectively writing, I can understand giving him an extension, especially if the interest from Alabama was as serious as has been reported, but the terms and language of said extension is certainly worth debating.

Hindsight is always 20/20, of course. It certainly looks to be a big mistake now with the way the last two seasons have gone.