• Fire Prohm as head coach immediately and pay buyout

• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Does Steve have that kind of integrity?
I can't blame him for not doing something like that. If it was me and the breakup was amicable and I had another job lined up I might renegotiate but it is a contract that was signed by all parties so I would have a tough time leaving it all on the table.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This scenario is interesting. Hmmmmm.

According to The Deseret News, GaryAndersen, who was fired by Utah State back in November, “refused to be paid the balance of his contract.” He reportedly told the school it “wasn’t his style” to be paid not to coach. He was owed $2.7 million — a $900,000 salary with three years remaining on his deal.

Andersen also forwent $12 million from Oregon State for going 7-23 there.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It's time for AD's to open contract discussions with a proposal for "decliner performance-clauses" .
It's always a one-way ride up for coaches when they succeed, so it should also be a down ride when they fail to reach performance criteria.

That's fine, but until every school does it, it won't happen.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This scenario is interesting. Hmmmmm.

According to The Deseret News, GaryAndersen, who was fired by Utah State back in November, “refused to be paid the balance of his contract.” He reportedly told the school it “wasn’t his style” to be paid not to coach. He was owed $2.7 million — a $900,000 salary with three years remaining on his deal.

It would be my style. I wouldn't/won't fault Prohm if he insisted on his contractually-agreed buyout. That's just smart.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Well it sure as **** shouldn't be us. Jesus.
I'm saying - it's just a "proposal" in the the first lob of a contract negotiation. You're probably right that Jamie doesn't have the leverage and it would get red-lined by any agent / lawyer, but JEZUBES - it's friggin time these coaching contracts have reciprocal clauses to protect the overall financial health of the athletic dept.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm saying - it's just a "proposal" in the the first lob of a contract negotiation. You're probably right that Jamie doesn't have the leverage and it would get red-lined by any agent / lawyer, but JEZUBES - it's friggin time these coaching contracts have reciprocal clauses to protect the overall financial health of the athletic dept.

No one in their right mind would take that proposal unless that’s what all schools were offering.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
No one in their right mind would take that proposal unless that’s what all schools were offering.

Depends upon how it is proposed and presented. Suppose an AD is willing to extend the length of contract, or initial increase in salary in exchange for other clauses.
I'm just saying, it would avoid contracts where a school is frozen from action because they can't afford the buy out.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Depends upon how it is proposed and presented. Suppose an AD is willing to extend the length of contract, or initial increase in salary in exchange for other clauses.
I'm just saying, it would avoid contracts where a school is frozen from action because they can't afford the buy out.

Not sure many coaches are going to want to buy put options on themselves.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

What’s the point of extending a contract if you don’t get a buyout for the coach? Take your hatred of prohm out of it. Why would Matt Campbell sign a 10 year contract if it meant you could fire him with no buyout? Why would anyone?

You might be able to get some coaches with a high initial salary but your pool of coaches would be very low if you are the only school doing it.

It’s all a very interesting idea but it would be suicide for any school to adopt this on their own.

Very rarely can a school not afford the buyout anyway. This year was one where it is not ideal for us due to low revenue and money we HAVE to put into football. But I bet we come up with the money any way.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Not sure many coaches are going to want to buy put options on themselves.
Of course not; well, unless the upside options were attractive.
But I would think any / every AD would want those options. I'm just saying, it would be nice to see an AD take the initiative; it's 'bout time.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
What’s the point of extending a contract if you don’t get a buyout for the coach? Take your hatred of prohm out of it. Why would Matt Campbell sign a 10 year contract if it meant you could fire him with no buyout? Why would anyone?

You might be able to get some coaches with a high initial salary but your pool of coaches would be very low if you are the only school doing it.

It’s all a very interesting idea but it would be suicide for any school to adopt this on their own.

Very rarely can a school not afford the buyout anyway. This year was one where it is not ideal for us due to low revenue and money we HAVE to put into football. But I bet we come up with the money any way.
, 'cmon man, let's not make this personal. I have never had "hatred" for Prohm; and I don't want to see his staff get fired and I don't want my team to be handcuffed with a situation because of a contract buy-out clause.
I'm frustrated at the state of collegiate contracts and how schools - especially us, get cornered with unilateral contract clauses that favor one party. Yes, it's an interesting idea and that's all I'm going with.