What should Pollard do with Prohm?

• Keep Prohm as coach and let him finish his contract

• Fire Prohm as head coach immediately and pay buyout

• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
A 23-win season with a Big 12 tournament championship and #6 seed in the Big Dance is a mediocre season? Yes, I know it sucks to be upset in the first round of the tournament, and only finishing .500 in the conference regular season with that kind of late season tailspin sucked, but by historical Iowa State basketball standards that was a very solid to good season.

Anyway, as I've stated before, for as much as I've been a Prohm defender previously it is time to move on and find a new head coach for this program. If this new rumor about the season coming to an unexpectedly early end is true, it might end up being for the best, as much as I hate to write that.
He should have waited until the off-season if he was thinking of an extensio. He got all giddy and overlooked the dumpster fire of a coaching effort just because we got hot in Kanas City for 3 days.

Then we had no answer for the worst at-large team in tournament history and then a week later half the team quit. That sequence of events in March of 2019 is the prime reason we are in this situation right now. All he had to do was wait and see how the seaosn played out, instead it was like we had Phil Jackson here and needed to keep him happy at all costs.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Is there a benefit to firing now, vs after the season? It’s not like there’s a good assistant to promote to finish the season. You can’t talk to coaches currently coaching can you? Usually that’s all done when the season is over.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Is there a benefit to firing now, vs after the season? It’s not like there’s a good assistant to promote to finish the season. You can’t talk to coaches currently coaching can you? Usually that’s all done when the season is over.

It would be silly to fire now. It just doesn’t happen without legal issues.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Practically speaking, no. The season will be the same either way, and like you said, can't officially talk to coaches currently coaching.
If JP is looking to move on, I'm sure there's a system of unofficial feelers going on, but that would happen whether Prohm was fired today or not.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
would you? Would ISU hold Their end of the agreement if thrown the same situation? I don’t see ithappening.
My values kind of lie with the Utah State coach. If it were me, and I hadn't performed to my level of expectation and was being fired because of it, I would feel guilty accepting money for not doing my job, signed contract or not. If I didn't work hard enough to earn it, then I am not going to take it. At least not all of it. I do believe in severance packages.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cat Stevens

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
My values kind of lie with the Utah State coach. If it were me, and I hadn't performed to my level of expectation and was being fired because of it, I would feel guilty accepting money for not doing my job, signed contract or not. If I didn't work hard enough to earn it, then I am not going to take it. At least not all of it. I do believe in severance packages.

So, if you're sitting on CycloneFanatic for part of the work day, do you give some of the money back because you weren't working?

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Im predicting that it will come out that coach prohm has been a goldfish in disguise this whole time and the team quit cause they are goldfish haters.

But i might be wrong. My source is iffy sometimes.

Well, the disguise sure fooled me!
TUA-Season-2-Trailer-2-1014x570.png

Reactions: Cycl1

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
So, if you're sitting on CycloneFanatic for part of the work day, do you give some of the money back because you weren't working?

"So you work a full day?"

" I wouldn’t say that. There are huge chunks of time, at night, where I’m just asleep. For hours. It’s ridiculous."

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Practically speaking, no. The season will be the same either way, and like you said, can't officially talk to coaches currently coaching.
If JP is looking to move on, I'm sure there's a system of unofficial feelers going on, but that would happen whether Prohm was fired today or not.

The ol' "your lawyer/agent talks to my lawyer/agent" because then everything is covered under attorney-client privilege, robbing any chance of accruing evidence for a tampering charge if somebody tried to pursue one.

Reactions: CycloneErik

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
He should have waited until the off-season if he was thinking of an extensio. He got all giddy and overlooked the dumpster fire of a coaching effort just because we got hot in Kanas City for 3 days.

Then we had no answer for the worst at-large team in tournament history and then a week later half the team quit. That sequence of events in March of 2019 is the prime reason we are in this situation right now. All he had to do was wait and see how the seaosn played out, instead it was like we had Phil Jackson here and needed to keep him happy at all costs.

So...an #11 seed from a Power 5 conference that has a very proud and strong basketball tradition, a program that would have been a #4 or #5 seed in last season's tournament had it been played, is really "the worst at-large team in tournament history?" Methinks you are engaging in quite a bit of hyperbole in order to supplement your confirmation bias.

Look, you've been dead set against Prohm from Day One (and please do not deny this. You've admitted to this), and honestly, your initial antipathy towards him and doubts about him have been validated in the end. But stuff like this is why I still feel compelled to defend CSP at times, and this is one of those times.

It always sucks to lose early in the tournament, doubly so if you're a favorite. But 11 over 6 upsets happen quite a bit, particularly when both teams come from Power 5 conferences. H*ll, #12 seed Oregon smoked #5 seed Wisconsin by 18 points in the same tournament. It's obviously subjective, but I can think of at least 5 other ISU basketball tournament losses in my lifetime that I was more disappointed about then that specific game.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
So there is a possibility our program could be the first P6 team to shut down their MBB program for the rest of the season, correct? Have any other programs shut down for the season?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This is the rumor- the second part. I am not one of those in the know guys so I guess we will find out.

For a guy like JCL I can see why it would be hard to stick around for the rest of the year. Kid is 24 years old and already has his degree. Pretty well documented he has aspirations outside of basketball that are already in the works. I can see why you'd be tempted to pack your bags instead of playing in an empty gym for a team that wont win 5 games.

Also for Solo, with all the injuries, I can understand the temptation there as well.

I don't love the concept of anyone quitting on their team, but this year in particular I'm not sure I would blame them.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
So there is a possibility our program could be the first P6 team to shut down their MBB program for the rest of the season, correct? Have any other programs shut down for the season?
Bethune-Cookman, Maryland Eastern-Shore, and the Ivy League schools. Although I don't think any of them even started their season, which probably isn't what you are asking.

Reactions: Halincandenza