What is your Pet Peeve

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I travel a lot for work and my #1 pet peeve is anyone who reclines their seat on an airplane. Heathens. All of them.

True story: I once spent a two hour flight pushing my knee into the back of a seat from someone who did that. Not like I had to extend much to do it, but that seat had to be uncomfortable.

Reactions: runbikeswim

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yes, 4-way stops. No one seems to know the rules. First one to stop goes. If you stop at the same time, the one to the right goes. Easy. Previously, I would rush to stop so I could get in and out quickly, but the sight of me rushing to the stop sign paralyzes some Iowa drivers, so they just sit there, even though they were clearly there first. Or someone on the right waves me on just because they are so darn Iowa nice. Just follow the rules. Now, I try to pull up more slowly and make sure that I stop after someone else does, but they still wait. Drives me nuts.

P.S. Maybe the problem is my vehicle.

images

The 4-way stop near me in on the parkway and Glenwood Avenue is total chaos during rush hour. Busy in all four directions and compounded by the commuters avoiding I-394 and Hwy 55 who don't like to even come to a stop let alone wait their turn or yield. They slow to a roll and expect everyone else to yield to them. Throw in it's a major bike and park pedestrian crossing and it's seemingly more than a lot of drivers can handle. If I am on foot I jaywalk up the road a bit, it's safer to just do that dash.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
echoing the airline theme! Take your damn bag off your shoulder and hold it down to seat level. I see people with their overstuffed back packs turning in the aisle smacking people in the face who are sitting along the aisle.

Drives me crazy, be aware you are bashing people in the head.

Oh, and to ******* who puts his suitcase and computer bag in the overhead compartment, you are a tool!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
-Airplanes: how the front rows/seats get on first. It should be the other way around and would help with the congestion of people securing their bags. One of the most BS status things.

-Communication: too long of business/job emails vs. the actual reason for the email. The person has to write 3 paragraphs instead of just saying 'This person called and needs to be called back'.

-And purely incompetent bosses who do things like above practically daily.

-When people talk over each other when talking about the same thing to each other, only getting louder and clearly not actually listening to what the other is saying.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I travel a lot for work and my #1 pet peeve is anyone who reclines their seat on an airplane. Heathens. All of them.

Maybe okay for domestic but a longer international flight without reclining would be pretty uncomfortable. I don't typically recline on shorter domestic cause there are so many seat warriors who get pissed off but am not staying upright for hours on end flying international.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The 4-way stop near me in on the parkway and Glenwood Avenue is total chaos during rush hour. Busy in all four directions and compounded by the commuters avoiding I-394 and Hwy 55 who don't like to even come to a stop let alone wait their turn or yield. They slow to a roll and expect everyone else to yield to them. Throw in it's a major bike and park pedestrian crossing and it's seemingly more than a lot of drivers can handle. If I am on foot I jaywalk up the road a bit, it's safer to just do that dash.

The only 4-way stop I use regularly is at Mortenson and State in Ames. At 5:00pm, it is more like you describe, but the rest of the day is tentative Iowa nice indecision at its best.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The "Iowa nice" indecision at stop signs drives me nuts too. Sometimes it isn't even close; recently have had a couple drivers wave me through when I had no business going first.

Either you have the right-of-way, or you don't. It's that simple.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
-Airplanes: how the front rows/seats get on first. It should be the other way around and would help with the congestion of people securing their bags. One of the most BS status things.

I'm United 1K and I've earned the right to board first. Why should stand in line with the rest of you mere mortals? Seriously, I want to sit down and get to work, not stand in line for the longest time. Mostly, I want to be sure to have space in the overhead compartment. It isn't about status. It is about them keeping comfortable the customers they most rely on.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
The drivers in this thread must have a lot of road rage and drive well over the speed limit.

Somebody on here gave some advice once. It was like something like “just slow down 5 mph and a lot of your complaints may go away.” On my good days I follow that and it works pretty well .

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

cyowa

Apr 18, 2006
I have two bothering me this morning

Mini van's or any cars that drive side by side in the fast and slow lane and have no idea that they are causing people to want to smash into the back of them

People who don't let their sneeze go. I never understood why people hold a sneeze in when it feels so so good to just let it go.

So what do you got?
People, (Mostly Women), who constantly scream like banshees during concerts. I came to listen to the band/artist sing, not your constant SCREAMING!!
Unfortunately, I don't see the day coming that this will change, so I usually just listen to the CD or YouTube.

• Agree
Reactions: Bocy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm United 1K and I've earned the right to board first. Why should stand in line with the rest of you mere mortals? Seriously, I want to sit down and get to work, not stand in line for the longest time. Mostly, I want to be sure to have space in the overhead compartment. It isn't about status. It is about them keeping comfortable the customers they most rely on.

Which is about status and people getting treated like they're worth the special treatment when they're not.

The getting work done thing is pretty funny.

That you Donald?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Which is about status and people getting treated like they're worth the special treatment when they're not.

The getting work done thing is pretty funny.

That you Donald?

Do you donate to Iowa State at the Gold level and expect S-8 parking for football and half-court seats for basketball?

P.S. Guess I found another pet peeve: people who don't think we earn our travel perks.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Do you donate to Iowa State at the Gold level and expect S-8 parking for football and half-court seats for basketball?

P.S. Guess I found another pet peeve: people who don't think we earn our travel perks.

People that think they've earned or deserve anything because they have money are the slime of society so not quite with you here.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
People that think they've earned or deserve anything because they have money are the slime of society so not quite with you here.

And I thought the lots were called S because of being near the Stadium, not because the big donors are Slime of Society, but there are a few to which it definitely applies.

P.S. United 1K is about the number of miles travelled (100,000 per year), not just the money paid.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Driving: 4 way stops and tailgaters.

Otherwise people who don't hold doors open for the person behind them.

I make it a habit to hold a door for someone coming behind me. I do like it to be acknowledged, though. Several times in my life, after holding the door and the other person walks through without saying, "thank you", I've loudly said, "YOU'RE WELCOME!"

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
Line cutters. I hate them. I'm normally a pretty polite guy, but I have no time for these trash people.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
This is gonna get me flamed but I give zero *****.......drivers who think they own the left lane because they’re driving faster. Obviously there is common sense in play here—flow of traffic, doing at the VERY least the speed limit, etc.....but if I’m in the left lane doing 10mph over the limit, no amount of tailgating me or flashing lights will get me to move over. If there is room, go around. Your desire to drive recklessly doesn’t mean I need to switch lanes. The left lane isn’t a license to drive insanely fast.

So, if I have your attitude and am only driving 5 mph over the speed limit is that OK? Maybe I think you driving 10 mph over the speed limit is 'insanely fast'.