What changes do you hope we see next year

What changes need to be made next year?

• Tom Manning Fired

• Tom Manning Demoted

• Joel Gordon Fired(QB Coach)

• Jeff Meyers Fired(OL Coach)

• Special Teams Coordinator Hired

• Jake Waters Fired(Quality Control of Offense Coach/Analyst)

• Hunter Dekkers Benched

• Transfer Portal skill position player upgrades (QB,TE,WR,RB)

• Transfer Portal OL brought in

• Something I didn't mention(Please share below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I voted for something else: I just want more wins. I don't care how it happens. If we look like Iowa but win 8 games, I'll take it. I'm not going to say "we have to play the way I say!" There are a million different ways to win a football game - to say that you only want to win it one way is stupid. You might say we're more likely to win doing different things and I wouldn't disagree. But ultimately I don't care how we win I just want to win consistently.

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
Serious question - What role do people see Kyle Kempt playing in the future? I have always liked him, and I have great respect for him as a person after what he did with Brock. Can he be groomed as an OC? What are the stepping stones to get someone of his background into that role?

• Informative
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Is JJ Kohl really the difference between one of our best and worst rated classes? I thought this one was considered to be one of the best in school history
It is. Jeremy is very negative. Not taking a shot at him, but he’s had ISU dead in the water going back to the original Big 12 missile crisis. I’m sure he’s just trying to keep from getting emotionally crushed, but his doom and gloom usually isn’t borne out.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Serious question - What role do people see Kyle Kempt playing in the future? I have always liked him, and I have great respect for him as a person after what he did with Brock. Can he be groomed as an OC? What are the stepping stones to get someone of his background into that role?
Best to go elsewhere as a position coach or still as a GA. That gives him a better feel and ideas on what will and won’t work. One reason the current Oline coach is struggling probably. When you only are with one team, and you struggle, you don’t know any other way and it’s hard to fix.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
It is. Jeremy is very negative. Not taking a shot at him, but he’s had ISU dead in the water going back to the original Big 12 missile crisis. I’m sure he’s just trying to keep from getting emotionally crushed, but his doom and gloom usually isn’t borne out.
I’m a realist. In reality, this class is pretty average for the past 10 years. Not poor but not great, average.

People think I’m negative because (whether they realize it or not) they’ve bought into hype or listened to podcasts rather than looked at the data, talked to players, recruits, donors, or coaches - depending on the topic. Im not Nostradamus, but it doesn’t require that to have a good sense of where we are or where we’re going when you remove the hype or doom. Its why I usually have a pretty accurate preseason prediction that at the time people think is negative. There have been times I’ve actually been too optimistic vs others based on the data.

Facts:

At current time the class is ranked 8th in the league. If you go player by player and remove Kohl, it’s 10th. If you swap Kohl for a 3-star QB (our normal goal), it’s still 10th.

While that’s obviously not ideal to do, the reason is to remove the one player skew this class has. When you do that, our per player rating for everybody but Kohl is actually below what it has been the past 3 years.

Then when you look at needs vs recruits, we’re lacking in OL, TE, WR, and RB in the class. Those are our worst rated recruit positions - if we even have a recruit at the position (we don’t have an RB for instance).

On the more positive side, I think we’ll keep more key defensive players than many would expect. Even though some would get 5-7 times more money if they went elsewhere (our cap is around 25K for somebody right now), the culture, playing time, and defensive system are winning out for them so far.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think the stark difference in ST is the big difference, along with playing in what is probably the worst division in power conference football.

Iowa is so damn good on ST. Even with their offense, they actually can make the case they are playing complimentary football. ISU is just an elite defense being completely sabotaged by ST and offense.

Cooper Dejean is a stud! He'd be on my AA team. He just has a knack for making great returns and he is always in position to down the ball inside the 5 on punt coverage.

I have watched just about every Hawkeye game this year with my dad and a few of those times the Iowa & ISU games were back to back. It's so obvious how mediocre the Cyclone special teams are compared to the Hawks.

Last night on one punt, the Cyclone coverage guys had no idea where the ball was and were sucked in by the punt returner. The ball bounced into the end zone. I bet Iowa's coverage guys would have had their eyes on the ball and downed it inside the 5.

On the punt return team I just don't understand how Campbell doesn't see the value of a solid punt returner who consistently gets 15+ yard returns. Its a huge difference for an offense to start at the 35 instead of 20 or 50 instead of 35.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Several non-blue blood programs have had bad seasons after sustained success with their own legendary coaches.

Snyder went 6-6 in 2001 after 4 straight 11-win seasons.

Barry (WI) had some porous years.

Let's hope things get back on track in '23.
Agreed. I'm mean it's not like we're getting blown out.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
What are your thoughts of Iowa? Essentially Iowa and ISU have the same issue (putrid offense) but since Iowa is finding a way to the Big Ten championship it would be hard to justify changes.
Iowa wins because they take the ball away on defense, they have 4 defensive touchdowns and they are solid as nails on special teams, they have a punter that rockets the ball downfield with plenty of hang time, and their freshman kicker they said yesterday was 16/18 on field goals. Hell, if ISU just had their field goal kicker, we would have won both the TT and KU games.

This staff needs to stop messing around on special teams, hire a coach that specializes in the kicking game and give him 3 scholarships to bring in the best kicker and punters we can find, plus find a return guy that is a difference maker.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
The offense has to get a lot more creative and way less predictable. Campbell said that the red zone came down to execution, but it is way, way harder to execute when your tendencies are extremely obvious and the defense can just sit on those things.

Overall on offense, we barely extend the defense downfield, to the point where they can really focus their defense on defending within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. The announcers said that the safeties had been given no reason to stay back, and they were right. The lack of almost any vertical game made everything harder.

I think we had the players to have a great season. I think the offensive staff got in the way of that.
Been noticing lack of vertical routes with defenses packed into first ten yards since Oklahoma game. Last game noticed offensive line splits were tight as hell plus formations completely on left or right half of field. This is the exact opposite of a modern spread offense. With line splits so tight twists can get home faster which had been a problem. Your QBs strength is supposed to be a big arm yet the route trees stay shallow. The formations and plays just say confusion and fear on the part of the coaching staff. Come on coach give the players a chance. This season has the beginning of the end feeling that eventually occurred with most football and basketball coaches from the last 30 years. Weird, it seems premature to feel that way but waiting another 2 years always just let things get worse. Offense needs to change the same magnitude as the defensive three man front to have a chance.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
we don't have enough money to compete
It depends in what you mean the Bama, Georgia, Texas, OU, Oregon no we don't. The KU, KSU, Minnesota, Iowas of the world we will probably be ok. Just my opinion of course with no real statistics to back it up

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Been noticing lack of vertical routes with defenses packed into first ten yards since Oklahoma game. Last game noticed offensive line splits were tight as hell plus formations completely on left or right half of field. This is the exact opposite of a modern spread offense. With line splits so tight twists can get home faster which had been a problem. Your QBs strength is supposed to be a big arm yet the route trees stay shallow. The formations and plays just say confusion and fear on the part of the coaching staff. Come on coach give the players a chance. This season has the beginning of the end feeling that eventually occurred with most football and basketball coaches from the last 30 years. Weird, it seems premature to feel that way but waiting another 2 years always just let things get worse. Offense needs to change the same magnitude as the defensive three man front to have a chance.
I can't remember what game I was watching over the weekend where the announcers were talking about how the coaching staff though line splits were so important that they set up a framework of sorts in practice so that the line splits were exactly spaced every time.

• Agree
Reactions: agentbear

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I can't remember what game I was watching over the weekend where the announcers were talking about how the coaching staff though line splits were so important that they set up a framework of sorts in practice so that the line splits were exactly spaced every time.
The Gophers use golf tees to measure spacing during practice. Coaches use it to make sure all gaps are executed precisely.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron