What changes do you hope we see next year

What changes need to be made next year?

• Tom Manning Fired

• Tom Manning Demoted

• Joel Gordon Fired(QB Coach)

• Jeff Meyers Fired(OL Coach)

• Special Teams Coordinator Hired

• Jake Waters Fired(Quality Control of Offense Coach/Analyst)

• Hunter Dekkers Benched

• Transfer Portal skill position player upgrades (QB,TE,WR,RB)

• Transfer Portal OL brought in

• Something I didn't mention(Please share below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
See I get that but I see the offensive line has a product of manning. I think the lack of diversity, and options in the run game - trap, power, counter, etc - and lack of tempo or anything there and lack of a well developed route tree or moving the pocket and then beyond predictable red zone calling is more of an issue.

For me its like this -

back when I coached, I wouldn't ask a guy who runs a 4.8 to cover a 4.3 guy in man to man. That won't end well.

With the offensive line - if you don't have Tony Allen who can just maul everyone and their mother in the trenches consistently - then why do you consistently ask them to be earth movers when they have shown you for 10 weeks that they are NOT in fact, earth movers?

That's why I saw OC is more of a problem. Could Myers be better? Sure. But I feel like the offensive line is asked to fight with one hand behind their back because of the scheme and play calling style that Manning calls. And they're not good at that.

Two years ago we switched up our blocking scheme a little bit. And since we have struggled to block consistently. And that's why I don't know that I fault Myers as much as Manning. Because I just feel like he hasn't been helped by his OC.

Case in point - after 4 or 5 weeks - Manning and Campbell could have said "OK, we can't physically dominate people so lets add a power game or outside zone to take advantage of what we're good at" Instead we've kept trying to run straight ahead into a brick wall....

WHY? Did they give the OL muscle enhancers? Otherwise why think they were going to be better at mauling people when you don't have maulers? Again that's just why I think its a little more higher up for me . I think with better top down scheme, Myers is fine. But when there's a problem up top, he gets exposed because neither he nor his unit is good enough to over come a bad OC
Two to three years ago we did change our blocking scheme, but we have been zone blocking a decent amount on runs this year and it hasn't made a difference. We don't know correct zone blocking, lineman are going down field too early and leaving holes in the zone that aren't cut back lanes. TEs are looking like they forget that we are zone blocking so they pile stuff up and effectively create a hard edge out there and pile things up and force an early cut. There is just so much wrong with the blocking. We have no idea how to block a twist (OSU does this non stop to us for years since we always mess it up) and just let the buy run around us. Our pads are too high and our hand placement is also allowing defenders to get into our pads too often. The line is just a disaster right now.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Two to three years ago we did change our blocking scheme, but we have been zone blocking a decent amount on runs this year and it hasn't made a difference. We don't know correct zone blocking, lineman are going down field too early and leaving holes in the zone that aren't cut back lanes. TEs are looking like they forget that we are zone blocking so they pile stuff up and effectively create a hard edge out there and pile things up and force an early cut. There is just so much wrong with the blocking. We have no idea how to block a twist (OSU does this non stop to us for years since we always mess it up) and just let the buy run around us. Our pads are too high and our hand placement is also allowing defenders to get into our pads too often. The line is just a disaster right now.
I think it was leading into last year.

2020 - the offensive line gave up the fewest sacks in the Big 12 and set a school record for rushing touchdowns.
2019 - also pretty good

Did Myers forget how to coach? Many of these players (Remsburg, Simmons) played on that team. Did they suddenly suck? Unlikely. But what is different is the idea that we changed our blocking scheme. That's not a decision than an offensive line coach would make.

We took something that wasn't broken and tinkered with it because we wanted to be fancy. It was talked about on and off last year that we were trying to become "more advanced" with our blocking scheme . Well, that's nice and all but if the guys you have aren't good at the new thing you're trying to do do, then don't do it. Its not rocket science

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

2020 - the offensive line gave up the fewest sacks in the Big 12 and set a school record for rushing touchdowns.
2019 - also pretty good

Did Myers forget how to coach? Many of these players (Remsburg, Simmons) played on that team. Did they suddenly suck? Unlikely. But what is different is the idea that we changed our blocking scheme. That's not a decision than an offensive line coach would make.

We took something that wasn't broken and tinkered with it because we wanted to be fancy. It was talked about on and off last year that we were trying to become "more advanced" with our blocking scheme . Well, that's nice and all but if the guys you have aren't good at the new thing you're trying to do do, then don't do it. Its not rocket science
The line has been the most consistently bad part of our offense. The line is trash this year. The rest of the offense shows bits and pieces of putting it together. How many times have we had false starts from the line this year. That isn’t anything schematic it is a fundamental issue with the line coaching. The only thing that is obvious this year is the line coach needs to go. Manning probably should too but he has at least shown some bits and pieces.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I want a new Offensive line coach first and foremost. I'm not saying I'm a huge Manning fan, but right now our Oline has so many issues that it is difficult to do much. We are better between the 20s since our options are increased. Get in the red zone and the field gets compacted, the two safeties over the top are not over the top much since the back of the endzone can do that. The linebackers will be a step closer usually.

Do not take this as I'm saying manning is fine, I just think the Oline situation (whoever is in charge of them) has to be cleaned up first and then we will know a lot more.

This is where I’m at as well. Absolutely correct take.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

2019 - also pretty good

What did change is something I mentioned, we have been rotating centers yearly. This can really screw up a team. It takes time to get it down. Some never will. You generally zone block when you don't have the horses to mano v mano, or a cutback style of back. The run blocking can be debated, but what I've seen on pass blocking is serious issues in development and fundamentals. That is where the coach makes a world of difference. Yes, remsburg and simmons have regressed, but another problem is the TEs are horrible at blocking.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
How about this change:

-If we are going to run the same five plays on offense each and every game, could we at least increase the tempo and reduce the false starts? I am a realist I'd be happy with 1-2 per game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron