What changes do you hope we see next year

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

What changes need to be made next year?

• Tom Manning Fired

• Tom Manning Demoted

• Joel Gordon Fired(QB Coach)

• Jeff Meyers Fired(OL Coach)

• Special Teams Coordinator Hired

• Jake Waters Fired(Quality Control of Offense Coach/Analyst)

• Hunter Dekkers Benched

• Transfer Portal skill position player upgrades (QB,TE,WR,RB)

• Transfer Portal OL brought in

• Something I didn't mention(Please share below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Obviously go get what talent you can out of the portal as there are holes to fill. But the biggest issues we have are consistently executing and being well coached on ST and offense. New OC, new O-line coach and hire a ******* ST coach. Getting good coaches in those 3 areas will make this team much more watchable and results in at least 3 more wins this year with our defense.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
So not on topic, but I cant believe people still stan for a guy whos resume was

Year 1 - preseason top 10, 6th place finish in the conference

Year 2 - Started 13-8 and was in danger of missing the tournament all together before a hot run. Then promptly blew it in the tournament. 4 future NBA players were on that team.

Year 3 - expected bad year but with some over the top bad losses. Last place finish in conference.

Year 4 - Massive choke job at the end of the year. All the players hated each other. Another tournament choke job

Year 5 - Wasted a lottery pick who should have been picked in the top 10. More embarrassing losses. Gave the keys to the offense to one of the worst Cyclones of all time. Last place in conference

Year 6 - 2-22, 0-18

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny

Year 2 - Started 13-8 and was in danger of missing the tournament all together before a hot run. Then promptly blew it in the tournament. 4 future NBA players were on that team.

Year 3 - expected bad year but with some over the top bad losses. Last place finish in conference.

Year 4 - Massive choke job at the end of the year. All the players hated each other. Another tournament choke job

Year 5 - Wasted a lottery pick who should have been picked in the top 10. More embarrassing losses. Gave the keys to the offense to one of the worst Cyclones of all time. Last place in conference

Year 6 - 2-22, 0-18
Lol well said. Prohm was so, SO bad. Wasted 2 years with some of the best Cyclone squads ever - and then completely un-did everything the program had built up to in the regime prior. Sucked the life out of what should perennially be a Top 20 CBB program.

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019

Year 6 - 2-22, 0-18

And while this "coaching" was going on people defended him and made excuses very much the way they are right now.

I have no issues saying Campbell is the best coach in ISU history. I also know that coaches can flame out and we may be witnessing that. Dont listen to frustrated fans just Look at these last two years. Its not pretty and the team underperformed.

All Im saying is that this isnt just one bad season. Look at the results and trends over the last few years.

Reactions: Lewey24

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
I do like the comp to Phrom in that they both need solid assistants to help them reach levels they want. Phrom held on to his assistants much to his detriment and if CCM holds on to the O coach it will go the same way.

Reactions: shadow

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Wanted to start a "Fire Tom Manning" chant last night, but there were too few people by me in the stands. As cold as it was with ice and snow on the seats, a winning, well executing team would have drawn a big crowd. After the fumble recovery, why not go for the jugular and throw the ball into the endzone, instead of 2 two yard runs and a terrible incomplete pass.

Reactions: CapnCy

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
Agree on manning and Meyers going. I would think about moving Nate S to be QB coach. His WRs have had too many drops this year. I am a bit surprised more people don't want Joel Gordon gone after watching both BP and HD regress so much. Also want a special teams coach.

• Winner
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
We have a dedicated o-line coach and a dedicated TEs coach but no dedicated ST coach. We need to consolidate the TE coach with receivers or o-line. Or maybe they work with both groups idk. The fact that we have a dedicated TEs coach and our TEs haven't been great this year and we don't have a dedicated ST coach is kind boggling

Reactions: dafarmer

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
This is going to sounds negative but it’s honestly just the reality…

We have Kohl next year and then no other Top 600 kids. We have no RBs and no WRs or TEs of note in the 23 class. Absent Kohl it’s actually our worst class in a long time.

We desperately need portal help at all but QB on offense. Without it, we’re looking at this years offense minus our only go to guy in X.

Unfortunately, NIL is going to make the portal a huge hurdle for us as all our funds will go to trying to keep Tampa and Anderson.

Clear out the offensive coaching staff and hope to bring some hope with new ideas and scrape together a few new guys.

If folks can’t rank Sama in the top 600 then they need to lay off the crack pipe

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Dekkers has glaring issues also. His pocket awareness is poor, his touch is just him throwing it as hard as he can, and his designed runs are a lot of indecision.

The line is the huge issue, but we have a pile of issues once we sort that out.
Now that the season is wrapping up and you take inventory of all the challenges, I’m more convinced that Dekkers is actually pretty good.
- Once Brock got hurt at KU the threat of the running game wasn’t there. Norton has some good runs but he has really poor vision. He misses daylight all the time.
- The offense is tipping its pitches. Or at least has some overwhelming tendencies. If the defense can change box and coverage based on formation and motion and be right 90% of the time, a QB has no chance
-OL is very poorly coached. For two years we’ve seen pressure with 3 and 4 with simple stunts. If you can’t get to a count of three when the D is dropping 7-8, a QB has no chance.
- WRs had huge drops constantly
- TEs are poor blockers right now
- Rus is a good run blocker but struggles in pass pro, at least for a guy that isn’t a threat as a receiver
- When Manning finds something that works he goes away from it way too much. Last night there were 4 or so plays that TTUs terrible undisciplined defense got complet Lost on some nice trail concept routes. Shouldve been pounding that all night. The last 3 years it was Purdy and the RPO.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I think the oline coach gets canned, Manning takes over his responsibilities. The coaching vacancy is filled by hiring a special teams coordinator.

I'd be really surprised if Manning is fired but always a possibility Campbell goes back to having no official OC.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Wanted to start a "Fire Tom Manning" chant last night, but there were too few people by me in the stands. As cold as it was with ice and snow on the seats, a winning, well executing team would have drawn a big crowd. After the fumble recovery, why not go for the jugular and throw the ball into the endzone, instead of 2 two yard runs and a terrible incomplete pass.
A chant like that has no impact on whether or not he has a job next year anyways. Campbell and Pollard know that the offense is a dumpster fire and changes are needed immediately at the end of the year. I just don't know if they will go as far as staff changes. They have to sell the recruits and fans something next year. If it is same ol, same ol then expect decommits and people not renewing tickets (not good to help people justify saving costs potentially entering an economic recession).

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
ST is only about 15% of the plays in a game. Unfortunately, Campbell knows this and refuses to coach this aspect of the game. However, ST is almost equally important to D/O because of the higher impact on field position, points scored, and "game breaker" plays.

Pollard might need to step in regarding OL/OC. Campbell thinks he knows how to run the offense. He tried and failed miserably when TM went to the NFL. We need a paradigm shift, and Campbell won't allow changes to his system. Manning's hand are tied. Can TM re-imagine and re-develop an entirely new offensive scheme? I highly doubt it. We always hear the term "analytics". We are being killed by analytics. We run the highest probable short yardage success with the lowest probable risk plays every time. The first problem is that these are not based on our talent, training, and execution. We can't ever gain more than a yard on the dive up the middle play, but we call it over and over and over because Campbell has a *&%$#@! computer telling him that it is the best play call. The opposing defense is all over Campbell's analytic model like they are sitting in our huddle. They know what plays are coming. Once we are at third and long, the defensive pins their ears back and pressures Dekkers into errant throws or being sacked due to Manning's stay in the pocket rule. Another paradox is that Campbell's offense of short runs, short passes, death by a 100 cuts, is supposed to minimize turnovers. We had 5 turnovers a against OSU. Also against OSU, late in the game, we had the same olineman flagged for 3 false starts in the same drive. Minnesota drills their OL like military cadets. High consistency in timing, spacing, and technique.
We probably need a uniform change. This would be putting lipstick on a pig. Make the fans think we are new and improved. I still like the I State logo though. Walking CY is my favorite. Campbell likes black and hates gold. Maybe he will buy into the 70's look , which I really like. Have to admit I am also a 49er fan.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: joefrog

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I think the oline coach gets canned, Manning takes over his responsibilities. The coaching vacancy is filled by hiring a special teams coordinator.

I'd be really surprised if Manning is fired but always a possibility Campbell goes back to having no official OC.
What are your thoughts of Iowa? Essentially Iowa and ISU have the same issue (putrid offense) but since Iowa is finding a way to the Big Ten championship it would be hard to justify changes.