What changes do you hope we see next year

What changes need to be made next year?

• Tom Manning Fired

• Tom Manning Demoted

• Joel Gordon Fired(QB Coach)

• Jeff Meyers Fired(OL Coach)

• Special Teams Coordinator Hired

• Jake Waters Fired(Quality Control of Offense Coach/Analyst)

• Hunter Dekkers Benched

• Transfer Portal skill position player upgrades (QB,TE,WR,RB)

• Transfer Portal OL brought in

• Something I didn't mention(Please share below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
It is about the wins, but I don’t want to be 1990’s Nebraska with Lawrence Phillips dragging women down steps and Tyrone X participating in drive-by shootings. Extreme comparison but you get my gist…

Well yeah. Obviously I want guys representing well. However, Campbell makes millions to win.

Reactions: ICCYFAN

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
And while this "coaching" was going on people defended him and made excuses very much the way they are right now.

I have no issues saying Campbell is the best coach in ISU history. I also know that coaches can flame out and we may be witnessing that. Dont listen to frustrated fans just Look at these last two years. Its not pretty and the team underperformed.

All Im saying is that this isnt just one bad season. Look at the results and trends over the last few years.
Campbells does look a bit better to be fair

Year 1 - Sucked, but punched above our weight level. Very clear improvement from the UNI opener to the Tech game

Year 2 - Fantastic. Expectations blown away. 2 of the biggest wins in program history. Mid season adjustments completely flipped the season

Year 3 - bad start, changes made mid season at QB saved the year. Made the Big 12 title hunt until the very end

Year 4 - first disappointing year under CMC. Didnt beat anyone that good. Tons of losses in the margins. Got embarrassed by Notre Dame. Not a good year

Year 5 - ULL embarrassment aside amazing year start to end. First regular season Big 12 title, title game appearance, and NY6 appearance/win. the covid * is valid. I think of it the same way as facing teams with injuries or the likes though. When luck shines upon you allow it to do so.

Year 6 - Flop of a year. Defense struggled at times. Offense did too. st sucked and cost hs games. Beat nobody good. Lost a lot of games we shouldn't have. Bad year

Year 7 - Terrible year. No post season. Offensive flaws that we knew existed were amplified by 100 and even our elite defense couldn't hide it.

Dont feel like its the same. It could trend that way but he's above that tier right now

istate2022

Apr 15, 2022
This is going to sounds negative but it’s honestly just the reality…

We have Kohl next year and then no other Top 600 kids. We have no RBs and no WRs or TEs of note in the 23 class. Absent Kohl it’s actually our worst class in a long time.

We desperately need portal help at all but QB on offense. Without it, we’re looking at this years offense minus our only go to guy in X.

Unfortunately, NIL is going to make the portal a huge hurdle for us as all our funds will go to trying to keep Tampa and Anderson.

Clear out the offensive coaching staff and hope to bring some hope with new ideas and scrape together a few new guys.
Exactly. This is what I have been saying all year. We have zero offensive weapons returning next year. Literally zero. It’s going to be absolutely brutal. Campbell needs to make changes to keep this fan base fired up. If he doesn’t, well… his coaching career will be over.

Reactions: Dowwmeow

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
My wishlist:

1) Myers fired
2) Manning demoted to OL coach. If he doesn't accept the demotion, he should be let go
3) New offensive philosophy. I dont care if we continue to ball control/punt model, but new philosophy regarding creativity, run scheme, route trees, etc. Watching Baylor and TCU, their offensive scheme is light years ahead of ours.
4) Offensive line transfer(s) brought it
5) An open QB competition between Dekkers, Becht, and Kohl. If Dekkers wins the job then fine. I think he has a ton of talent and could be great if he takes a couple steps forward. But he should have to re-earn it

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Year 6 - Flop of a year. Defense struggled at times. Offense did too. st sucked and cost hs games. Beat nobody good. Lost a lot of games we shouldn't have. Bad year

Could have sworn we beat top 10 Oklahoma State.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We have a dedicated o-line coach and a dedicated TEs coach but no dedicated ST coach. We need to consolidate the TE coach with receivers or o-line. Or maybe they work with both groups idk. The fact that we have a dedicated TEs coach and our TEs haven't been great this year and we don't have a dedicated ST coach is kind boggling

Absolutely invisible outside of Dean’s TD last night.

Reactions: agentbear

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Absolutely invisible outside of Dean’s TD last night.

Btw Dean on that one play looks like he has loads of talent and is athletic. Why are the tight ends basically non existent this season. When you have a bad line, tight ends should be the go to guys. Especially with a new quarterback. So confused on that

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Btw Dean on that one play looks like he has loads of talent and is athletic. Why are the tight ends basically non existent this season. When you have a bad line, tight ends should be the go to guys. Especially with a new quarterback. So confused on that

I don’t think there is usually enough time to let typical TE routes develop and they probably hold them in a lot more to help out on the line. That TD play was a great play, almost a trick play though.

Reactions: Drew0311

Old87

Sep 30, 2012
1) CMC swallows some pride and admits that the offensive staff needs to be restructured.
2) The OC needs to have responsibilities for a position group. Check Alabama, Ohio State, Tennessee for examples. We are only allowed a certain number of coaches. Why waste one by having a OC with no positions?
3) WR and RB positions need their own coaches.
4) Evaluation of current staff. Who has developed players vs who has been ineffective with player development
5) Maintain the defensive staff
6) For God’s sake, admit that special teams need to be a priority not an afterthought.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
In addition to the o line issue...if we are going to play this way, we just have to have a kicker. Or a way to developer a kicker. Can't keep leaving 6-12 points in the field every week when we play all these 1 score games.

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013
Alright well, season is over after next week. Time to set our sights ahead. What changes do you think we need to make? Fire away
It is not as simple as changing coaches. Campbell is the head coach and sees what happens in practice and in recruiting. He agrees with the play calling and game plan. My take is that we lost two tight ends to the NFL that were good in the run game and passing game. It is clear to me that our current Tight Ends are not blocking well, the replacements for Kolar and Allen. Next, our receivers outside of X, are not making plays. I do not understand our o line play. When is the last time we had a receiver make a big play down the field like Lazard, Butler, Kolar, or Allen? Our guys are not making plays. Next year is our year! Always.

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013
We never throw long to Stanley who has speed and was brought in to make safeties honest. Evidently Shaw is a lost cause. The unknown from our view in the stands, is that the QB doesn’t have enough time due to poor OL play to allow deep throws to develop.
He dropped a sure touchdown pass the week before and butterfingered two other passes that got intercepted. If we throw to him deep in one on one coverage he gets pushed out of the way by a defender which turns into an interception. That is not the answer.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
What are your thoughts of Iowa? Essentially Iowa and ISU have the same issue (putrid offense) but since Iowa is finding a way to the Big Ten championship it would be hard to justify changes.

I think Brian should be oline coach and bring in someone else to run the offense.

They won't make any changes though, at most have Brian coach line again and hire a new qb coach.

It's quite amazing how similar the two situations are.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I think Brian should be oline coach and bring in someone else to run the offense.

They won't make any changes though, at most have Brian coach line again and hire a new qb coach.

It's quite amazing how similar the two situations are.
You guys actually win in the margins though. And your D scores and gets more TOs.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
You guys actually win in the margins though. And your D scores and gets more TOs.
I think the stark difference in ST is the big difference, along with playing in what is probably the worst division in power conference football.

Iowa is so damn good on ST. Even with their offense, they actually can make the case they are playing complimentary football. ISU is just an elite defense being completely sabotaged by ST and offense.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I’m really starting to believe this is the case, but for some reason believe CMC deserves to be allowed to make the necessary changes….. which for me the bare minimum is firing Myers and Manning and hiring a ST coach….. and bringing in outsiders to replace Myers and Manning…. not just promoting your buddies like Scheelhaase.
We’d be skewered nationally for firing Campbell this year, and rightfully so.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron