What changes do you hope we see next year

What changes need to be made next year?

• Tom Manning Fired

• Tom Manning Demoted

• Joel Gordon Fired(QB Coach)

• Jeff Meyers Fired(OL Coach)

• Special Teams Coordinator Hired

• Jake Waters Fired(Quality Control of Offense Coach/Analyst)

• Hunter Dekkers Benched

• Transfer Portal skill position player upgrades (QB,TE,WR,RB)

• Transfer Portal OL brought in

• Something I didn't mention(Please share below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Alright well, season is over after next week. Time to set our sights ahead. What changes do you think we need to make? Fire away

Reactions: CyBobby

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Everything except: Dekkers benched and Jake Waters fired. If all those things don’t lead to progress, then I’m going to lose faith in Campbell.

I haven’t seen enough yet to think Dekkers is truly the problem. I was definitely far too hard on Purdy, because Manning was most definitely the reason for his regression. He has no business being near an offense ever again

I have no idea what poor soul would be willing to come here via the portal. I’d imagine we’ll have far more departures than arrivals

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
This is going to sounds negative but it’s honestly just the reality…

We have Kohl next year and then no other Top 600 kids. We have no RBs and no WRs or TEs of note in the 23 class. Absent Kohl it’s actually our worst class in a long time.

We desperately need portal help at all but QB on offense. Without it, we’re looking at this years offense minus our only go to guy in X.

Unfortunately, NIL is going to make the portal a huge hurdle for us as all our funds will go to trying to keep Tampa and Anderson.

Clear out the offensive coaching staff and hope to bring some hope with new ideas and scrape together a few new guys.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX

We have Kohl next year and then no other Top 600 kids. We have no RBs and no WRs or TEs of note in the 23 class. Absent Kohl it’s actually our worst class in a long time.

We desperately need portal help at all but QB on offense. Without it, we’re looking at this years offense minus our only go to guy in X.

Unfortunately, NIL is going to make the portal a huge hurdle for us as all our funds will go to trying to keep Tampa and Anderson.

Clear out the offensive coaching staff and hope to bring some hope with new ideas and scrape together a few new guys.
Didn’t Anderson just use his free transfer from Minnesota? I don’t know if he’d transfer again and sit out. But otherwise spot on. We just aren’t gonna be a winner in the transfer portal.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Everything except: Dekkers benched and Jake Waters fired. If all those things don’t lead to progress, then I’m going to lose faith in Campbell.

I haven’t seen enough yet to think Dekkers is truly the problem. I was definitely far too hard on Purdy, because Manning was most definitely the reason for his regression. He has no business being near an offense ever again
Something I noticed while scrolling through our football staff page(other than the amount of past players there, which was heart warming) is that Jake Waters is our only CQ of offense coach. We have 3 on defense. We have Jeff Mills, Josh Runda, and DeAndre Payne on defense.

We also have Heacock's son on the defensive staff so hopefully he can live up to his fathers legacy should Jon leave anytime soon

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

For the portal we are going to have to go find some guys that are at lower tier conferences and hope a jump up to the big leagues is appealing. I am sure there are some skill position players that can make that jump. My biggest fear is what to do with the O-Line. Good O-line transfers are not as available and get scooped up as they are very coveted. We have guys that have been in the program awhile. Hopefully a good coach can use what we have to put together an average O-line.

Tpups21

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA

What about Freyler and Purchase?

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

Is JJ Kohl really the difference between one of our best and worst rated classes? I thought this one was considered to be one of the best in school history

VoiceOfReason

Aug 21, 2016
A lot of people will disagree, and I totally get that, but I would like to see ISU pull the rip chord on Campbell. It really sucks, because I think Campbell is a good dude, but I think it's over and anyone who thinks he can turn it around is only kidding themselves.

I can't explain what happened and why things went south so quickly. I think the answer is probably just catching lightning in a bottle with Breece and Heacock. We aren't recruiting well, the team isn't in a good spot, and next year's team is clearly going to be significantly worse. I just don't see why you would stick with it.

Larzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 14, 2014
Cedar Falls, IA
Allowing whoever calls plays next year to put a halt to CMC's delusion that he needs to be able to run it between the tackles which has been to our detriment his entire tenue. The lack of allowing 2 NFL caliber running backs to get tosses and sweeps to the outside and allow them to potentially make a man miss in space instead of getting hit behind the line has been almost criminal.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
A lot of people will disagree, and I totally get that, but I would like to see ISU pull the rip chord on Campbell. It really sucks, because I think Campbell is a good dude, but I think it's over and anyone who thinks he can turn it around is only kidding themselves.

I can't explain what happened and why things went south so quickly. I think the answer is probably just catching lightning in a bottle with Breece and Heacock. We aren't recruiting well, the team isn't in a good spot, and next year's team is clearly going to be significantly worse. I just don't see why you would stick with it.
Agree completely.

Can't believe that wasn't an option.

People need to start thinking of that as an option pretty quick.

Next year will be atrocious.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The offense has to get a lot more creative and way less predictable. Campbell said that the red zone came down to execution, but it is way, way harder to execute when your tendencies are extremely obvious and the defense can just sit on those things.

Overall on offense, we barely extend the defense downfield, to the point where they can really focus their defense on defending within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. The announcers said that the safeties had been given no reason to stay back, and they were right. The lack of almost any vertical game made everything harder.

I think we had the players to have a great season. I think the offensive staff got in the way of that.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
The offense has to get a lot more creative and way less predictable. Campbell said that the red zone came down to execution, but it is way, way harder to execute when your tendencies are extremely obvious and the defense can just sit on those things.

Overall on offense, we barely extend the defense downfield, to the point where they can really focus their defense on defending within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. The announcers said that the safeties had been given no reason to stay back, and they were right. The lack of almost any vertical game made everything harder.

I think we had the players to have a great season. I think the offensive staff got in the way of that.
Well said, IMO. I think a philosophy change is needed on that side of the ball. There's such little urgency on offense, and seemingly a lack of desire to ever generate explosive plays unless it's Breece breaking a long one over the past few years.

Others have said it elsewhere, gotta realize points matter more than time of possession.