What are is fondness memories from 99-00 team?

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
That was my senior year and I’d already accepted a job - so I was all in with this team. We went to every tourney game, BigXII and NCAA. Lots of great memories - except the last ones.

One of my favorites was our first introduction to Tinsley, in a exhibition game, I think, he beat his defender into the lane and whipped an impossible pass to a big (probably Shirley) who wasn’t expecting it and it hit him square in the face.

the Fizer dunk over the stupid poser Chris Mihm was definitely my favorite moment though. There was a lot of “talk” going into that game about Mihm being POY and better than Fizer and Marcus just destroyed him all night and sealed it with the dunk.
How about when Shirley fell flat on his face during a free throw. HAHAHA

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Was lucky enough to be a student then. Waited outside Hilton for seats to the KU game. They let us into the outer concourse early because it was so cold. This allowed for a brief encounter between my group and Larry, as he passed us coming up one of the stairwells into the concourse.

Got seats in one of the first few rows on the end near the KU bench. Which was perfect because the sign I brought read "ATTENTION JAYHAWKS: PLEASE BOARD THE BUS. MR. FIZER WILL BE TAKING YOU TO SCHOOL NOW."

Second favorite memory, after the W, was actually seeing Roy, Collision, Hinrich and the KU bench actually turning to read the sign as I held it high during team intros. Great time to be a Cyclone.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Non basketball but had a Cuban cigar north of the border (Windsor is actually east of Detroit) on the off day at a pubs beer garden.

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I remember taking english 105 that semester and learning how to write a coherent sentence.
I came here for the comments and surprised it took this many to address the thread title.
It's a message board. If you've come here looking for proper spelling and syntax you've come to the wrong place.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
My fondest memory was the oSu game. Iirc, it was late in the season, we crushed them by like 20 and the crowd started chanting ONE MORE YEAR for Marcus. That team just had so much juice, you could feel the electricity when they stepped onto the floor, more than I've ever felt since. I think the most confident starting five we've probably ever had.
Was at that game as well, and I seem to recall Fixer spending a lot of time on the court after the game. He paced back and forth, acted very emotional. This may be a faulty memory, but before leaving the court, I remember him being at the scorer's table. He pounded it a couple times with his fist before extending his index finger in the air and walking off. The optimist in me took that as a signal he was returning. Not so much...

Last edited:

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
remember taking english 105 that semester and learning how to write a coherent sentence.
I came here for the comments and surprised it took this many to address the thread title.
Sry man. I made a mistake. I wish I was more like you. I'm sure that you never make mistake.

Reactions: CtownCyclone

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Was at that game as well, and I seem to recall Fixer spending a lot of time on the court after the game. He paced back and forth, acted very emotional. This may be a faulty memory, but before leaving the court, I remember him being at the scorer's table. He pounded it a couple times with his fist before extending his index finger in the air and walking off. The optimist in me till that at a signal be was returning. Not so much...
Remember all this.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
$5 seats for my wife, my 5 year old, and me to see Fizer dominate Mimm and top 5 TX was a memory I’ll never forget. They weren’t great seats, but that didn’t matter.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Mines an odd one. My bachelor party ended up being the night of the final 8 game. We went to watch the game that evening after drinking all day. I remember being asked to leave at least one place before the game started. We ended up at a place that was probably not the best choice. Bar/grill but kind of a family atmosphere. One of my buddies had a blow up doll that was painted in cardinal and gold with sharpie markers. It got held up and cheered like a cheerleader at every basket. There was a couple with their daughter a couple tables away. The girl (5ish) looked at my buddy holding the doll and asks “where did you get that?” He replied “uhh Walmart”. She asked “what’s it for?” He said “uhh well when a man loves a woman but there’s no woman”. Luckily the parents were cool and dying laughing the whole time

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Imagine being old and remembering that season :jimlad:

Honestly though this was actually the first tournament and pretty much only tournament I remember my dad ever caring about and one of my early sports memories. I was 7 and my dad wasn't ever that much into sports but I do remember the UCLA game and my dad sitting in his recliner drinking a lot of Coors Lights while I was sitting on the floor with my Gameboy.